Tarp
    HG Cuben,Warbonnet
    Insulation
    CaveCreek, HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie!!!
    Images

Thumbs up Northern Hang, NCT, Wisconsin

Well, Here's my take on the trip. My trip started by being shut down and not able to go. I wanted to go from the beginning when I first read about it but the weekend looked to be filled up and then my supervisor was taking some vacation the Thursday-Friday of the trip. I watched jealously as the plans were being made and was developing a major case of the "no piney woods for me blues." The Wednesday before the trip our weekend plans were blown up and now I could see a little glimmer of hope and I even caught a slight sniff of that sweet pine needle smell. I asked my wife if she would miss me(she didn't really answer that part ) and she said "you're crazy, go have fun." She's a good one!

So, I packed up Thursday night late and was able to hit the road Friday evening when I got off of work. It was about a 6.5 hour drive to the trailhead. I got there a little after midnight and hiked in about 25 minutes to where the gang said they would be. I walked into the site and only saw a tent, no hammocks. I went down the trail a little further to the shelter and still no hammocks. I knew the Swedish settlement was up the hill a bit so I headed up that way thinking maybe there was more room and that's where they'd be. Strike three! Nobobdy there. I was beginning to think, this might end up being a solo trip, which is alright because any night out in the woods is a good night but I really wanted to meet and with these people. I headed back down the hill and set-up at the shelter area, hung my food and put a little note on a tree to let people know I was there if they happened to pass by. I went to sleep about 2:30 in the morning, hoping I'd find them in the morning.

About 6:30 in the morning, Mr. Green comes by, wakes me up from my short nap and let's me know that they were back at the first spot I checked. They were all back behind the tent that I saw which happened to belong to our only earth dweller Dennis. From there it was meet and greet, breakfast around the fire, checking out people's rigs and so on. After a while we packed up and headed out on the trail a few at a time. I had the privilege of hiking for most of the day with Fishin' Finn. We kept expecting everyone to catch up as we weren't breaking any speed records but they never did. As Shug said in the video, "they were lollygagging."

Even though I didn't get to hike with everyone else, it was a great day. Dutch, Finn, Sarahgirl and I went all over Northern Wisconsin and finally found some real Wisconsin "Cheesehead" pizza. Dutch didn't think it was real pizza as it was cut in squares not like a pie. It was a good time as well. The last night's fire was fun, just sharing stories of hiking, family, friends and checking out gear. I enjoyed every bit of it and got quite a bit more sleep that night as Finn, Sarah and I set up down close to Lake Three. Heard a couple of bears, saw a lot of bear crap, saw some pretty lakes and streams and locked that smell of the woods in my nostrils and hung out with some great people for a short time. It was great, I only wish I could have been there for the whole thing.

Thanks to all of you who were there, I look forward to the next one!

DSC03781.JPG

DSC03783.JPG

DSC03786.JPG

DSC03789.JPG

DSC03796.JPG

DSC03801.JPG

DSC03803.JPG

DSC03785.JPG
    “Somebody told me it was frightening how much topsoil we are losing each year, but I told that story around the campfire and nobody got scared” - Jack Handy

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I am glad that you came all the way up. Funny ... I was performing in Waterloo at Waterloo Days the week before.
    The short time we talked at my tarp on night three was cool and to hear that all your kids love camping must be terrific for you.
    Ohhh ..... and you bet we will do a trip again if I have anything to say about it!
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben,Warbonnet
    Insulation
    CaveCreek, HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie!!!
    Images
    No way! You were here for Waterloo Days? Where did your performances take place? We were down there Saturday for the parade and the concert later that night.

Randy
    “Somebody told me it was frightening how much topsoil we are losing each year, but I told that story around the campfire and nobody got scared” - Jack Handy

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben,Warbonnet
    Insulation
    CaveCreek, HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie!!!
    Images
    About the kids, I almost brought my 9 year old, he really wanted to go. We decided together that he wouldn't enjoy the 10 mile hike in Saturday. Otherwise, he would have had a blast.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Randy, I can't wait to hang with you again, it was truly a pleasure. If you want to do a weekend campground hang/hike sometime this summer around our borders, give me a buzz - we are only 4 hours apart. Maybe we can talk a few other local people into it as well, especially if we meet up on a Friday night, hike Saturday and leave Sunday. I'm in - you can never have enough friends in this world, and I think you are definitely someone I want to keep in touch with - you Iowa folk are kind of nice to hang around. Nice pics, and thanks for filing your version of our saunter.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben,Warbonnet
    Insulation
    CaveCreek, HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie!!!
    Images
    Finn buddy, I've been thinking the same thing. I'm probably tied up through the end of July now but after that I can start getting out again. I might be able to swing a one-nighter on a Friday or Saturday especially if we have some cooler nights. Every once in a while I just need to get out, even if it's only for a night. Something about hanging out in God's creation that helps my soul. We could meet about half-way like you said and if anyone else can come, the more, the merrier. Why don't you pm me your # and I'll shoot you mine.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hangin'Yankee View Post
    Finn buddy, I've been thinking the same thing. I'm probably tied up through the end of July now but after that I can start getting out again. I might be able to swing a one-nighter on a Friday or Saturday especially if we have some cooler nights. Every once in a while I just need to get out, even if it's only for a night. Something about hanging out in God's creation that helps my soul. We could meet about half-way like you said and if anyone else can come, the more, the merrier. Why don't you pm me your # and I'll shoot you mine.
    PM sent. I already have days scheduled off on August 14th, and July 31st that I have no plans for, so those weekends would be ideal for a next outing. I could get my yardwork/house chores done on Friday morning, and hit the road early enough to be anywhere that night. I also scheduled Oct. 15th-18th for that Yellow River trip we talked about - that is the third weekend in October - not sure if that was the weekend that Sarah was talking about, or the following weekend, but I needed to get it on the calendar at work.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben,Warbonnet
    Insulation
    CaveCreek, HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie!!!
    Images
    I'll look at those days also. We could do a little scouting together and see if you agree with me that Yellow River would work for a fall hang or not. If you don't think it's quite up to par, we can work on something else. I'll give a hollar sometime, you feel free to do the same.

Take care bud, Randy

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    That was some good square pizza
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    That was some good square pizza
    At least you are admitting it was pizza. You were quite offended by the squares at the time. Pizza Purist!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast