WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies

tagging users

Is there a way to tag users in a post? Sometimes I'll reference another HF Member in a post and I want them to see it. Can I use the "@" to tag users?

If you talking about tagging someone within the same thread as in responding to their post but having their words end up in your post, you can use "reply with quote" button at the bottom of their post.
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    DIY CF Asym
    Insulation
    Zpacks HGincubator
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    If you talking about tagging someone within the same thread as in responding to their post but having their words end up in your post, you can use "reply with quote" button at the bottom of their post.
    I think he wants some sort of guarantee that the member he's replying to will reply themselves. I have found this to be the case without any sort of twitter conventions, which is basically saying that everyone on HF is magically summoned when called.

I mean try it: Reply to me, and see whether I reply. If the thread is young I most likely will.

Quote Originally Posted by g2outdoors View Post
    Is there a way to tag users in a post? Sometimes I'll reference another HF Member in a post and I want them to see it. Can I use the "@" to tag users?
    Here is an example using your first post, all I did was hit the "reply with quote" button and added in my post/reply to yours.
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhacker View Post
    I think he wants some sort of guarantee that the member he's replying to will reply themselves. I have found this to be the case without any sort of twitter conventions, which is basically saying that everyone on HF is magically summoned when called.
    If thats the case then disregard everything I said!

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Here is an example using your first post, all I did was hit the "reply with quote" button and added in my post/reply to yours.
    Thanks for the replies. I'm familiar with using the "Reply with quote" and the multiple quote buttons and that is not what I was asking about. Nor am I looking for a magical button that makes other's reply...whatever that means.

What I was asking is if there is a button or character that acts like the "@" symbol on many social media sites where you can "tag" other users.

For instance, I replied to a thread about the Tadpole tarp. My reply went something like "GrannyPat has a great tadpole tarp...". I was wondering if there was any built-in functionality to vBulletin that allows me to "tag" GrannyPat (who hadn't contributed to the thread, thus rendering the "reply with quote" button useless") in my response so she could see that I mentioned her.

Hopefully that makes more sense. I'm assuming by the replies thus far, and the fact that I haven't seen it used before, that this functionality doesn't exist. I was hoping that it is a feature within vBulletin that hadn't been "turned on" on this particular site.

Quote Originally Posted by g2outdoors View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I'm familiar with using the "Reply with quote" and the multiple quote buttons and that is not what I was asking about. Nor am I looking for a magical button that makes other's reply...whatever that means.

What I was asking is if there is a button or character that acts like the "@" symbol on many social media sites where you can "tag" other users.

For instance, I replied to a thread about the Tadpole tarp. My reply went something like "GrannyPat has a great tadpole tarp...". I was wondering if there was any built-in functionality to vBulletin that allows me to "tag" GrannyPat (who hadn't contributed to the thread, thus rendering the "reply with quote" button useless") in my response so she could see that I mentioned her.

Hopefully that makes more sense. I'm assuming by the replies thus far, and the fact that I haven't seen it used before, that this functionality doesn't exist. I was hoping that it is a feature within vBulletin that hadn't been "turned on" on this particular site.
    I understand what you are talking about now, sorry for my previous posts as I was under the impression you meant a quote kinda thing.

If the user is using tapatalk they will see your mention of them in the thread as it will send them a notification if they choose to receive them. As I just received a notification on my iPhone that you replied to this thread.

Notifications can be set up by the user in your control panel as well as each individual thread, but it's a personal thing that each person has to set up themselves.

If that is what you are referring too? Outside of that I have no idea, sorry.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    DIY CF Asym
    Insulation
    Zpacks HGincubator
    Suspension
    Webbing
    I understand what you are talking about now, sorry for my previous posts as I was under the impression you meant a quote kinda thing.

If the user is using tapatalk they will see your mention of them in the thread as it will send them a notification if they choose to receive them. As I just received a notification on my iPhone that you replied to this thread.

Notifications can be set up by the user in your control panel as well as each individual thread, but it's a personal thing that each person has to set up themselves.

If that is what you are referring too? Outside of that I have no idea, sorry.
    I don't think that works for cross thread posts though, but I don't have tapatalk, so I wouldn't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhacker View Post
    I don't think that works for cross thread posts though, but I don't have tapatalk, so I wouldn't know.
    I know it does on tapatalk as mine will send me a notification if someone mentions me in any thread, even if I didn't participate in it. With regard to the internet forum on Mac or PC I don't think it has this capability. But I am not that educated on all this tech stuff, I know others on this forum are so hopefully they can give you the answer you are seeking!?

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Yeah, that's what I was kind of wondering. Hopefully there is some sort of feature within the vBulletin forum software that would allow that kind of thing to work. Who knows.

I do get notified on Tapatalk when someone quotes my post, but I don't think I do if they mention me in a different thread which I haven't participated.

It's really not that important anyway. Just curious.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast