Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Hammock
    DD Travel Hammock
    Tarp
    DD Tarp
    Insulation
    DD Underblanket
    Q for you ppl that have more experience in the subject...

I'm thinking about packing my quilt and hammock in the same stuffbag attached and ready for setting up, is this a wise thing to do or should I pack them separate?
    www.fogelberg.info

If the hammock is rocking, don't come knocking

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BaloO View Post
    Q for you ppl that have more experience in the subject...

I'm thinking about packing my quilt and hammock in the same stuffbag attached and ready for setting up, is this a wise thing to do or should I pack them separate?
    Kind of whatever floats your boat. If you are going to leave your hammock in the stuff sack all the time when not in use you might want to have separate bags so the quilts don't lose their loft, particularly if down. But on the trail... do what makes you happy.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I keep my underquilt, top quilt and hammock in the same stuffsack when I'm on the trail. String it up and climb in. Never had a problem with it messing up the quilts or anything.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    DCF Winter
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ @ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoope
    Images

Hammock pack load

My hammock is carried in the middle.

I made a DIY soft pack last year which incorporates some of the design ideas of the "MacPac" of this site, and other sites. It continues to evolve.

It uses 6 sacks, each with a 15"x10" footprint, and, each is simply a different thickness, from 2" thick to 6" thick, depending on contents.
    One sack is food/bear bag, one sack for clothes, one sack for cooking equipment/stove/fuel, water filter, one sack for hammock/tarp, one sack for qiult/pad and one sack for general quick-use stuff on top. The heaviest, stove/fuel stands up so that the weight of these items is against my back. The modules attach to the soft pack PAL system. The pack shoulder straps each have a quick release buckle at the bottom "military style", and the straps cross over X style in the front, which eliminates a hip belt, and is both stable, and very comfortable. Because they are all the same foot print, the sacks stack up evenly, one on top of the other. Some of the sacks have only a draw string, some have a zipper to close them, or, multiple mesh pockets inside to seperate smaller items. All have interior mesh sections to keep things from bunching up. So, It's real light weight, quickly organizable, and, the seperate sacks can be unloaded and loaded and ready for setting up, or taking off in the morning without sorting thru and figuring out what is where, or what goes where. Most things are already bagged up, and ready to go. The hammock is in the middle, the heavier items are at the bottom, and close to my back, and I have an "AARN like" front pack too. The outside compression straps have PAL style loops, which are usable for items such as snowshoes, crampons, or that parka needed quickly in the winter.

To sum up, it is the total of a bunch of ideas, with more probably to be added in the future. Though not pretty, it saves at least the 5 lb. of my 5K top loader, and was fun to make. (though no more cheap WalMart fabric, wah, wah, wah) Did I mention it is not pretty?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Since I retired, some times I stay awake all day, some times all night.

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Being fairly dense and heavy, I keep my HH Explorer in the middle of the pack. Sleeping bag is on the bottom. Everything else is on top. With the fly and Super Shelter it's not worth the effort of hanging it for anything other than the night's camp.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    AHE Ridge Creek UQ
    Suspension
    buckles
    I pack in order of need (mind you, I use a Sabre 45L pack, with two outside pockets): sleeping bag or quilt, hammock, clothing (all inside the pack). On top of this is my water bladder, and an empty nalgene bottle. Outside pockets consist of: one side is food, stove, and water filter, other pocket is tarp, raingear, cordage & tent stakes. Top pocket consists of headlamp, compass, FAK, snacks, & a heatsheet. Thats it for gear, for me. Even with the pack, this is only maybe 20 lbs, without water.

Hammock
    Blackbird - Dbl. 1.1
    Tarp
    OES Spinn Deluxe
    Insulation
    REI Lite-Core 1.0
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopies
    Images
    I have a Kelty Red Cloud 6650..... spells "huge"..... So I put my sleep system in the bottom sleeping bag compartment, which is the quickest way to access it. I usually pack my gear in systems; sleeping system, food system, clothes system, toiletry system... I may have OCD, but I'm not sure.
    Those who expect disappointment are never disappointed.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Mine is packed from the bottom up: Underquilt*, hammock & overquilt in BB sack, clothing, food, Rain Jacket.

I don't bother having it easy to access after taking a nap one day in the hammock. My 30 minute nap turned into a 4.5 hr nap. So, since I don't do that anymore, no need to have easy access. My tarp is in a side pocket for easy access though.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB HR and NS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    I keep my underquilt, top quilt and hammock in the same stuffsack when I'm on the trail. String it up and climb in. Never had a problem with it messing up the quilts or anything.

I've been considering this and I'm curious about how big of a stuff sack you needed?
    Murphy was an optimist! - O'toole's commentary on Murphy's law
    The perversity of the Universe tends towards a maximum. - O'Toole's Corollary
    I think this O'Toole guys onto something. - Rock_Rat's commentary on O'Toole

Hammock
    DD Travel Hammock
    Tarp
    DD Tarp
    Insulation
    DD Underblanket
    The stuffsack I got to my quilt will manage both quilt and hammock I hope... Its larger than the quilt and can be compressed...

If not I will by a new and larger stuffsack...
    www.fogelberg.info

If the hammock is rocking, don't come knocking

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast