Hammock
    1.1dbl WBBB
    Tarp
    ZPacks DCF
    Insulation
    SLD Enigma/WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie

Do you pack your hammock for easy access?

Hi, first time poster. I've gotten a lot of valuable information from HF. It's a great site! Still haven't decided on a hammock but have a question.

I love the dual purpose aspects of many backpacking items. I can see leaving my 5oz DIY chair at home because I can use the hammock as a chair or a place to rest along the trail.

So, do you typically pack your hammock for easy access (high in your pack) during your hike or do most only use it for bedding down at night? I would normally pack my tent close to the bottom.

Thanks,
    Dan

Hammock
    diy
    Tarp
    diy 9x11
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniveller
    Suspension
    CBs + DCs
    Images
    I pack mine for easy access for a couple reasons. I don't like putting it in the pack with other things when the straps or ropes are wet, and I also like to have it available for a rest stop

I usually have it somewhere outside the pack, like in a mesh pocket, or on the top of my pack, under a strap.

Welcome to HF !!

Perkolady

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    My current packs are all top loaders and I've discovered that, no-matter-what, whatever I need/want always involves unpacking some; unless it's in an outside pocket. I've since decided that the only items I insure are easily accessible are my tarp, rain gear, and food. My hammock is usually on top of my quilts, which are at the very bottom of my pack.

But, since I wrap my webbing on the outside of my BishopBag all I have to do is reach down into the fray and feel around till I hit the webbing. Then it's just grab and pull.
    Trust nobody!

Tarp
    YMG Cirriform
    Insulation
    NeoAir XLite
    I pack my hammock in the [lower] sleeping bag compartment of my pack. That way my whole sleeping system (hammock, tarp, tent stakes, sleeping bag) are all together and the top [main compartment] of my pack is left open for other gear.

My hammock is packed in the bottom of my pack, inside the trash compactor bag. My sit pad is attached to the top of my pack, and that is what I sit on when I stop. I only stop walking long enough to eat something and camel up on water. I don't see the need for a chair of any sort, not even in camp. When the hammock/tarp are set up and I'm fed, I get INSIDE my hammock until morning.

Hammock
    Dutch Half Zip
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG 40degree quilts
    Suspension
    whoppie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Hike4WD View Post
    Hi, first time poster. I've gotten a lot of valuable information from HF. It's a great site! Still haven't decided on a hammock but have a question.

I love the dual purpose aspects of many backpacking items. I can see leaving my 5oz DIY chair at home because I can use the hammock as a chair or a place to rest along the trail.

So, do you typically pack your hammock for easy access (high in your pack) during your hike or do most only use it for bedding down at night? I would normally pack my tent close to the bottom.

Thanks,
    Dan

In the summer when I don't carry a pad I strap my hammock to the outside of my pack and rig it up real quick for lunch breaks. makes a great seat and its nice to lay down for a few minutes. I've taken mine out on leisurely trips during the rain and waited it out before too.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Normally it goes near the top, for easy access. I have been carrying my tarp and hammock in the balance pockets of my Aarn pack.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    none
    Tarp
    none
    Hammock is on top. Not really convenience. It's just always the first thing I do when I set up camp after taking off my shoes and socks.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    WB webbing
    Images
    At the moment I'm using a big ol' heavy pack that's a top-loader with sleeping bag zipper. I stick the hammock and tarp down at the bottom and access them through the zipper, which is quick. I don't tend to take them out until I'm ready to camp, though.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Zeti UQ & WM bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    In my ULA Circuit, the sleeping bag goes in first, then the hammock, then clothes, then food on top. My tarp goes in the mesh outside pocket, as does my rolled up pad. I usually only take the hammock out at night for sleeping.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast