WBBB, WBRR
    Tarp
    Cloudburst, Toxawa
    Insulation
    yeti, Leighlo
    Suspension
    Straps and sticks

Primer on cord, rope, and webbing types

Is there a sticky on this subject that I am missing? I watch suspension videos, tarp videos, whoopie videos.... And there is a baffling array of stuff used. Is there a page some where which says what each thing is and what it is good for? Thanks in advance.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    There is a lot of info but it comes down to use what comes with it or roll your own out of amsteel blue or 1 inch polyester strap for the suspension and 1-2 inch webbing around the tree as the hugger.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    You are right, there are probably more baffles in our suspensions than there are in our quilts!

Two simple things will get you started, then you can go from there and experiment like everyone else. And, don't forget that you can SEE everyone else's setups at group hangs.

1. One inch wide polyester straps go around the trees. (not nylon) And, with a buckle or rings for adjustment, that's all you need.
    2. You can add a whoopie made of Amsteel to reduce strap length. 7/64" Amsteel is most popular. (You still need some strap for the tree).
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR
    Tarp
    Cloudburst, Toxawa
    Insulation
    yeti, Leighlo
    Suspension
    Straps and sticks
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    You are right, there are probably more baffles in our suspensions than there are in our quilts!

Two simple things will get you started, then you can go from there and experiment like everyone else. And, don't forget that you can SEE everyone else's setups at group hangs.

1. One inch wide polyester straps go around the trees. (not nylon) And, with a buckle or rings for adjustment, that's all you need.
    2. You can add a whoopie made of Amsteel to reduce strap length. 7/64" Amsteel is most popular. (You still need some strap for the tree).
    I was envisioning something like the fabric discussions in the the DIY section. Specifically I see references to Amsteel, webbing, grogain, tarp guy line, zing-it, lash-it, etc… Why might one use one over the other? Your basic suspension answer makes sense, though, so thank you. For instance, is there a rule of thumb for what to use for a tarp ridge line? Do people not use Amsteel for ridge lines because it is too expensive and heavy, etc? Is tarp line, like Warbonnet sells just a light type of line? Thanks for everyone's help.

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    For your ridge line material question, some people will overkill it, some will use el cheapo mason line. some of us don't use a ridge line for the tarp at all and just off the end to the tree. With things hammocks, there are more variations than one would ever need to try in their lifetime. All of them work, and work well. Any variations are really personal preference and not due to "need". Even though I could argue why my choices are "the best", it really is just a personal preference. I have also found that my choices, in many areas of hammocking are very different (or even the opposite) of the mainstream opinion here on HF. I figure so many of you all can't be wrong, and I know my experience is also right, so we must all be right and in the end it makes little difference. My advice to all, is just go for it; toss up a hammock and swing away.

Hammock
    Snipe, Netty, Argon
    Tarp
    Tadpole, Cuben, SF
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Dutch DooDads
    Quote Originally Posted by DuctTape View Post
    For your ridge line material question, some people will overkill it, some will use el cheapo mason line. some of us don't use a ridge line for the tarp at all and just off the end to the tree. With things hammocks, there are more variations than one would ever need to try in their lifetime. All of them work, and work well. Any variations are really personal preference and not due to "need". Even though I could argue why my choices are "the best", it really is just a personal preference. I have also found that my choices, in many areas of hammocking are very different (or even the opposite) of the mainstream opinion here on HF. I figure so many of you all can't be wrong, and I know my experience is also right, so we must all be right and in the end it makes little difference. My advice to all, is just go for it; toss up a hammock and swing away.
    +1 couldn't have said it this well!
    Visit Backpacking Adventures and submit your pictures into our monthly contest!

Check us out on YouTube or FaceBook

Central California's Gateway to the Sierras
    Hammock
    DIY 11' Gathered End
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    Greylok4; GoLite20
    Suspension
    Whoopies n' Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by DuctTape View Post
    Yes. Good answer.

And this is why you're finding so much on all this stuff, Bigmuddy. But there is sort of a baseline, or a place to start, when considering some of your points. Here's my quick synthesis of understanding thus far (I'm new to this):

-Webbing/Tree straps/tree huggers are typical and I've found the variation with these is 1) how people attach them around the tree and 2) what is next in the suspension line and 3) how those two are connected (Dutchware, rings, buckles, Marlin Spike Hitch [MSH] on the tree straps, etc.

-Whoopies made from Amsteel (high load rating) seem to often come next; some people can get away with using 2.2 or 1.7mm line (like Zing-It)

-Some folks have a continuous loop as the connection between hammock and whoopie sling, while others skip the whoopies and use continuous loops over MSH/buckels/etc on the webbing (using long straps to allow for adjustment); some even forego the continuous loop and attach the fixed end of the whoopies around the hammock ends, using a MSH/buckle on the webbing for macro adjustment and the whoopies for dialing in the micro.

-For tarp lines and hammock ridgelines, a lesser-rated cord is often used to save space, weight, and sometimes expense: Zing-It, Lash-It, Dynaglide, sometimes paracord, mason line, et al. Some of these are adjustable and some not, depending on the user's preference.

It really is a personal preference thing learned after experimentation and exposure. Comparing videos on similar specifics is quite helpful. Be patient.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Attend a group hang. I was at one last year where BlackBird's were the main hammock being used yet every one along with their tarps were hung slightly different.
    Just takes time playing with the different options to find what works for you. There are some systems I swear by and others I swear at when using.

Part of the fun is playing with the different methods.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR
    Tarp
    Cloudburst, Toxawa
    Insulation
    yeti, Leighlo
    Suspension
    Straps and sticks
    I'd love to go to a group hang but I think the nearest ones might be in the range of 500 miles... I imagine Paul for arrowhead is involved in such things within driving distance but it still might be a long way...
    But I think I get it - I went to Walmart today bought two yards of pink polyester whipped the ends with para cord, and hung it in the kitchen for my 3 year old daughter. She loves it. However, then I got worried about the para cord suspension, replaced it with some 3 mil climbing rope type cord I had and it is so stretchy it's nearly unusable... So experimentation is obviously where it's at. I also gather the ends and let the sides extend about 4" farther though the whipping than the rest and can't believe how high the sides are now... Cant't wait to take it apart and try something different!

Hammock
    HH Exped Classic, Dutch Argon 1.6
    Tarp
    Forum Member Made
    Insulation
    JRB HR, Greylock3
    Suspension
    Rings, Whoopies
    Images
    I've had the same questions brother. I've never used zing it or Amsteel for anything before so I just bought some Amsteel that I'm waiting to arrive. Figure I'd try my hand at making some continuous loops to prussik with. Stuff isn't cheap though and I am, so I guess I'll figure out where not to use it pretty quick.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast