WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing

Three Ridges

Finally got out with my set up for an overnighter yesterday. I have been anxious to try out the HG Burrow, other than in the back yard.

We got off of work at 0700 and met a couple other guys and headed to three ridges. We parked off of route 56 and headed up the trail. A friend of mine and also a coworker had called me the day prior to let me know there was snow of the ground, he was right on the money, snow everywhere. The climb up was rough, especially through all of the white stuff. We did about 9 miles before finding a nice spot.

What quickly gathered all of the down wood we could find for a fire. We were prepared but some of our things had gotten wet anyway, some of the snow was as deep as 12 inches in spots. We strung up some Paracord to hang our wet stuff on over the fire.

Then we set up our sleeping quarters. Wh had 2 hammocks and 2 tents. The other hammock was a guy who thought he would try one out. As he set up his borrowed eno and rain fly I told him I thought he was going to freeze to death, at this point the temps had dropped to about 30 degrees and the wind was blowing. He ended up abandoning the hammock and getting into one of the 1 man tents on the trip. The tent guys said they made it through but sleeping on the snow wasn't the greatest thing.

Me on the other hand, well I was in heaven. I sat up my WBBB XLC, WB Yeti UQ, HG Burrow TQ, WBSF tarp and settled in for a a long, windy, cold night. I also used a vehicle window sun blocker thingy, shiny chrome color thing, stuck in the double layer down near my feet and legs. I got the thing at Walmart for 2 bucks on clearance and it works really well. The temperature dropped into the 20's and I have never been out when the wind started blowing like it was blowing, wow I thought a tree was gonna come down.

This morning I think I was the only one who was extremely comfortable and warm. I was wearing a polypropylene top and bottom and one pair of wool socks. The guys I am with just don't get the hammock thing. One of them has tried to hammock before but he borrowed it and never tested it out. He was also in the cold with not sufficient insulation. I find it hard to sell the hammock idea to my buddies but it is what it is.

We packed up and headed out back towards the car, finishing the loop for about 5 more miles. Man I was spent. We headed to the nearest greasy pizza shop and ate like crazy.

All in all it was a great trip. I wish I had had the yak track things for my shoes but I managed. Can't wait to get out again.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker.
    It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions." - Ronald Reagan

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    The sunny pictures & short sleeve shirt look nice
    With that wind at night I'm sure you were happy to have the SuperFly (and the rest of your gear for that matter).

I put the insulation for my feet right in my bag. Night sure how that would be with the shiny chrome car thingy but something to consider.

Hammock
    Clark DLX, ENO SN, BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    OxPalace,Big Squid
    Insulation
    Oxgear, KAQ, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Looks like a good time was had. After watching you get a great nights sleep they might just come around,
    Everyone ought to believe in something....I believe I'll go set up the hammock!

• + New Posts