Looking for a lightweight hammock

I currently have a 1.1 double layer WBBB and love it...except for its weight. the WBBB with its Mamajama tarp provide excellent comfort and coverage for me. I'm getting a cuben fiber tarp and want to find a new hammock that has the same comfort as the WBBB but is lighter. I would be okay without bug netting but do prefer the asymmetrical lay. Any suggestions? Anybody have any experience with Butt in a Sling?

Hammock
    Snipe, Netty, Argon
    Tarp
    Tadpole, Cuben, SF
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Dutch DooDads
    What is "lightweight" for you, dbl or sgl layer required?

My Snipe is ready to hang is 17.5 ounces. I have a Netty from Hammeck ready to hang at 23 ounces.
    Visit Backpacking Adventures and submit your pictures into our monthly contest!

Check us out on YouTube or FaceBook

Hammock
    zpks bivy (fav DH DUL)
    Tarp
    zpacks pocket tarp
    Insulation
    ugq tq-wm ultralit
    Suspension
    ground
    Images
    "light weight" I sold frenchycamp a wwm this week that's ready to hang at 7.67 oz.(stuff sack incl) Although my UL from dream-hammock is the best sleep i've had of the 6 or so Hammocks i have owned and slept in and it's hang ready at 14.45 oz. (stuff sack incl.) My best advice is to buy and try. It cost you some but not much resale is very high on like new gear
    Forgiving enhances living. Whatever you are doing could be the last thing you do, so make it count. FKA chuck

I currently have a 1.1 double layer WBBB with whoopie slings. I think the weight is around 24 oz for the hammock. I'd love to be under 16 oz. I'm new to hammocks, but have been around lightweight backpacking for several years. Ivereallybecome acustom to nepiece of gear weighing much more than a pound. I know the BIAS hammocks can get down to that weight range, but are they comfortable.

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    How much do you weigh? Do you need a double layer hammock for a pad? How far are you willing to go to reduce bug net weight (see HUG bug net)? Are you willing to risk less durability for lighter weight?

Weight of a hammock depends mostly on if it has a bug net, and the weight of the material's.

If it doesn't have a bug net, and you need one, you still need to consider that. For example: my lightest normal sized hammock was made from a single layer of 1.1, and weighted 7 oz. I could have used a tulle fronkey style bug net at 3oz (10oz total), but after ripping it open accidentally 2 times, I went to a noseeum fronkey net at 7oz (14oz total). Now I just finished my own version of a WBBB single layer 1.1 that weights 14.6oz - so a 0.6 oz penalty for not having to deal with the fronkey net. I'm happy with that.

I only weigh about 150lbs. If you're closer to 200 or more you'll want to bump up the material weight for durability and comfort (stretch).

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I see the poster is in SC along the coast so he does need a bug net for the warmer months
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

I'm about 170 lbs and 5'10". I usually go on about 3-4 weekend trips per year and baby my gear. I think I can handle a single layer made from a lighter material. Does anybody have experience with the Hammeck Nettty? It's listed as 14.5 oz, has anybody verified that is correct?

Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    ianders,

Consider the Snipe.

I also love my 1.1 DL WBBB however, my WindernessLogics Lite Owl is my preferred hammock. The weight, the extra length, and the simplicity make the Lite Owl my favorite. At your weight, the WL Snipe (1.5 Single layer vs 1.1 double layer) would meet your needs. Visit Shug's YouTube site to find his video review of the Snipe.

I use the BIAS Buginator bug net with my Lite Owl. I wish I'd have spent extra to get the Nano Buginator.

Good Luck
    Questioning authority, Rocking the boat & Stirring the pot - Since 1965

Hammock
    Trail Lair || Brazilian
    Tarp
    CF w/ doors
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by ianders View Post
    ... have a... WBBB and love it...except for its weight... want to find a new hammock that ... is lighter... would be okay without bug netting... Anybody have any experience with Butt in a Sling?
    I had a WB Traveler, which has the same lay than the BB, but found the BIAS Weight-Weenie much more comfortable. BIAS is a good cottage vendor, no issues.

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 yd/sq oz Basic Gathered End
    Tarp
    HG
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    UL Webbing
    I switched from a 1.7oz/yd integrated burned rig this past summer for weight as well.

Currently I am using a 1.1 oz simple hammock that is long enough to handle my 6'5" height (I vary between 178-188, depending on whether I am off trail or towards the end of a big hike) I use a bug sock that I made with it....pretty similar to Papa Smurfs design.

Weight came down from 22oz to around 12oz including the whoopies. I also changed my webbing. The lightest webbing I found was at my local hardware store.
    AT 2011, PCT 2012, LT 2013, WT 2013, JMT 2014, TRT 2014, WT 2014, AZT 2015, PCT 2016, CT 2017, MSR 2017, GET 2018, GDT 2018, TRT 2018, JMT 2018, MRT 2019, CDT 2020/2021
    My trail journals, tips, interviews - http://longdistancehiker.com (Trail Name 'Beardoh')

• + New Posts