WBBB Travel Sock

Hey, folks. Trying to stretch out into the shoulder seasons a little bit, I've gone ahead and picked up a travel sock from Brandon. Any tips, tricks, or advice as far as using one out in the field?

photo-2.jpg

While I was waiting on the postman, I had the hammock hung and ready in the backyard for the moment the travel sock came in the mail.

No more than five minutes later, the mail came, the cover went on, and in I went.

Wasn't too sure of how much heat these keep in, but dang! Wasn't until I came back out that I became aware of how well these top/over covers work. Didn't have a temperature gauge with me, but it was noticeably warmer inside (and cooler out) with the cover on.

Also emerged from the hammock to have my family and girlfriend tell me every passing car (I live off a main street in the subdivision) came to a crawl, if not stopped entirely and/or did an extra lap around the block - let me tell y'all now, if you're in the lemonade stand business, and need something to draw publicity, just recruit your local hammock-hanger.

Talked to Brandon a bit - best way to put it "on" is unzip the sock, insert the hammock (suspension included) inside, and pull the suspension out through the ends.

Also found it it's perfectly alright to keep the sock attached to the hammock and compressed along with it in the stuff sack (so long as it's dry when you're packing up). Keeps it from touching the ground the next time it's hung and makes set up almost stupid simple.

Now, I'm writing because I wanted to ask - have any of you used these in lieu of an underquilt, since the wind and chill is being blocked from the sides and bottom?

Or do any of y'all out there with DL hammocks get by with one of these and supplement it with a CCF sleeping pad?

Trying to find a way around the weight and bulk of my UQ. Like I said, the sock packs in with the hammock, and a CCF pad I can keep strapped to the outside of my pack.

Thinking that a CCF pad would address any bottom cold spots and the sock would supplement that while addressing the sides as well.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    DIY CF Asym
    Insulation
    Zpacks HGincubator
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Labanauskas View Post
    have any of you used these in lieu of an underquilt, since the wind and chill is being blocked from the sides and bottom.
    I also want to know. (I think some people said no, but it wasn't really a comprehensive survey, and opinions do vary).

• + New Posts