HH with removable bug net mods.
    Tarp
    12x12 silnylon
    Insulation
    JR-Us pea pods
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Rotator Cuff injuries and hammocks??

Anyone find hammock camping an issue with rotor cuff injuries? I can no longer sleep the ground comfortably even with the cushiest padding? I have several hammocks but have not used them since the injuries. Just wondering?? (Modified Hennessy and a Speers)

Hammock
    DIY, Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH
    Try it and let us know how it works. It's only pain, right?
    Keep movin', keep believing and enjoy the journey!

Hammock
    Dutch Argon/HH Exp. Zip
    Insulation
    KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Webbing
    No personal experience with that one. However many with some back problems have reported some relief.

I would think the getting settled in and out again would be the sore time. The question is would you be placing pressure on the shoulder when laying down.

Good Luck and keep the hammock world posted.

Hammock
    Traveler
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben
    Insulation
    LeighLo/Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I found that my hammock was the only way that I could get a good nights sleep before and after my rotator cuff.

Shoulder pain is what put me in a hammock every night. Since I began sleeping in my hammock, no more shoulder pain.
    If you prepare for failure you will probably succeed.

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    I have had three shoulder surgeries, the first just about killed me, worst pain ever and it lasted for over 18 months, the pain was worse than giving birth, and there was no reward at the end. Fifteen years later I had the right shoulder repaired, I fell and dislocated it about two months after the repair, so I had a second repair. Piece of cake on the last two surgeries.

I tore everything holding my shoulders together loose. The problem for me was getting in and out of the hammock without dislocating my shoulders. I bought a Hennessy original, I never adapted to the bottom opening. I now have learned to use a smaller hammock, because they are easier to get in and out of without putting strain on my shoulders (they will still dislocate). If my shoulders bother me in the night depends on the hammock and if my shoulders become chilled. Any kind of chill or cold is extremely painful.

I love sleeping in my hammocks, much better than the ground, however, I have to have everything set up in a certain way to avoid pain, getting up in the night is tricky, because I have to be very careful of my shoulders, I can not reach out to the side to pull myself up or out.

Just for what it is worth, having your shoulders dislocate or tearing your rotator cuff further while laying down is a major pain. Most of the time someone has to help you get out of the hammock, your bed or wherever you are, very embarrassing and painful, I was tempted to just have the bottom of my hammock cut open, but then I would have fallen on the ground, which would not have helped me get to a standing position. LOL

Hammock
    DIY End Channel
    Tarp
    DIY Winter tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG
    Suspension
    Kevlar, amsteel.
    Images
    My right shoulder is pretty bad, doc is not sure what is wrong with it (although he guessed ligaments and rotator cuff). I can't really lift anything heavy anymore unless its straight above my head or leave my shoulder out of its natural resting position for very long without a lot of pain. I have ZERO issues sleeping in a hammock.

I was good to go in mine until after the surgery, then I had to quit for a while...

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    I'm having Rotator cuff issues and i'm better in the hammock than my bed. Just as a side note. I cracked a rib a few months ago and couldn't get out of my bed but i was fine getting in and out of the hammock.
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    WB / BIAS
    Tarp
    HG Custom 4S
    Insulation
    WB Lynx, HG, MB
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Straps
    Just had a major shoulder surgery this winter and my Ridgerunner saved my bacon, couldn't lie down in a bed for nearly two months! Have to head back for a second procedure and my hammock will be setup and ready for me when I get home! I put a small camping pillow between my arm and body, especially while having to wear a sling...made a huge difference. Found it really easy to roll out of my bridge in the morning, and because I could actually sleep on my back in the bridge, I wouldn't roll over onto my arm and hurt myself in my sleep.

Best of luck to you, hope you heal up!

Cheers

• + New Posts