Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Definitive list for the new thread injection engineer

So I have my new thread injector. A single stitch Singer 15 series knockoff. It runs like a top.

So what else is essential for the new DIY Thread injection engineer?

Rotary cutter? Cutting mat? Thread cutter?

Those two right off the bat are on my list.

I have pins, extra bobbins, etc.

Hammock
    DIY RS custom
    Tarp
    DIY winter custom
    Insulation
    DIY UQ+TQ &/or bag
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie+Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by NJTroutstalker View Post
    Steel rule / straight edge that is long enough for whatever... I get by with a 48", a couple 18" and various smaller ones - all cork backed, as well as tape measures and tailor tapes.

If you work with silnylon, masking tape will not stick at all. Felt padded weights help hold things in place.

If you work on the floor for cutting/measuring/pinning, don't wear shoes or anything with grippy soles. Socks and sweatpants are your friends.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge db layer 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    amsteel/tree strap
    Quote Originally Posted by NJTroutstalker View Post
    So I have my new thread injector. A single stitch Singer 15 series knockoff. It runs like a top.

Rotary cutter? Cutting mat? Thread cutter?

Those two right off the bat are on my list.

I have pins, extra bobbins, etc.
    If you're going to use a rotary cutter and mat, get a plastic ruler (not metal) - a clear 2" wide x 18"quilting ruler works well. Do not use a metal ruler next to the rotary cutter, you will inevitably run it into the metal and leave it with a teensy tiny nick.

A box of bandages - rotary cutters are sharper than any box cutter you've ever used. Use the rotary cutter in the same cautious manner that you would a table saw ie. keep fingers well away and never ever cut with your hand straddling the cutting line.

A seam ripper - use is obvious - a newbie will probably use this more than the sewing machine...

Fold back clips - smallest size you can find - the kind you use for holding papers together. They work better than pins for holding sil and ripstop together. Also can be used for where you don't want to have to seal extra holes caused by pinning.

Thread stand - the thread posts on the machine are only meant for the little spools of thread you buy in the store. You'll need this for the cones of Guttermann that you are going to buy from DIYGearSupply.

By 'thread cutter' I presume you mean a small pair of thread scissors - and yes, you'll need at least one pair of them cause they disappear under fabric constantly.

That should do for a start, but just wait!!

If you think the guys here collect gear, you should see the 'gear' you can collect once you get thread injecting...

Yeah I meant seam ripper. I'm a fly tier, so I have plenty of thread scissors. I also already own a thread bobbin stand because of it.

I'm a self admitted gear *****. There's no surprises for me.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Get good fabric scissors and ONLY USE THEM FOR FABRIC. Resist the urge to use them on paper just because they are handy.

I find a 6' aluminum straight edge to be very useful for laying out large projects.

Clover Wonder Clips are becoming a favorite of mine.

Central California's Gateway to the Sierras
    Hammock
    DIY 11' Gathered End
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    Greylok4; GoLite20
    Suspension
    Whoopies n' Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    Get good fabric scissors and ONLY USE THEM FOR FABRIC. Resist the urge to use them on paper just because they are handy.

I find a 6' aluminum straight edge to be very useful for laying out large projects.

Clover Wonder Clips are becoming a favorite of mine.
    +1 on the scissor discipline.

Those clips look handy... I sometimes use clothes pins to hold things in place when pinning but they're a little too heavy and bulky to leave them on the fabric while sewing.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronMB View Post
    ...Those clips look handy...
    Someone else had recommended them a few years ago. I scoffed at them at the time thinking they were overpriced little bits of plastic but ultimately gave them a try. I found them to be well made, strong clips with nicely rounded edges that are very useful.

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    what about magnets for sil? I am not sure about this but seams like a movable way to clamp it. You could also use a metal table and magnets to hold it down. I bet you could even use a strip of magnetic material. I will not being starting any diy stuff until the summer, but I also thought about using a hanger. The kind you use to hang shorts and pants. I thought about making one by elongating it or adding the clamps to a longer piece of material. I would have done some diy already but spent my christmas break buying, fixing and restoring my 2 machines.

Hammock
    Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    Quote Originally Posted by The Old Boot View Post
    Thread stand - the thread posts on the machine are only meant for the little spools of thread you buy in the store. You'll need this for the cones of Guttermann that you are going to buy from DIYGearSupply.
    Does DIYGearSupply sell cones of thread now? The (large-ish) straight spools I've bought there work just fine on the vertical spool pins on my sewing machines.

IMO, any good scissors work fine for fabric cutting for most jobs, though a rotary cutter and mat is handy for smaller projects.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by VictoriaGuy View Post
    Does DIYGearSupply sell cones of thread now? The (large-ish) straight spools I've bought there work just fine on the vertical spool pins on my sewing machines...
    Mara comes on the "straight spools", but the Tera comes on small cones.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast