Trying to stay wam with pad down to 20 F

My goal is to stay warm down to 20* F with a pad. I do not want to supplement with an additional CCF pad or UQ.

I am looking at the Exped SynMat UL 7. It has a reported R value of 3.1. Does anyone have any experience with this particular pad? What temps have you been down to with it?

If not, can anyone let me know what pad they use to get down to 20* F?

Thanks!

Michael (SoCal Mike)

Central California's Gateway to the Sierras
    Hammock
    DIY 11' Gathered End
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    Greylok4; GoLite20
    Suspension
    Whoopies n' Straps
    I cannot speak to the SynMat UL7 but its big brother, DownMat 9 (R-value of 8), gets me below 20F° without problem. At that point, it's my top quilt that's the weak point (an older GoLite Ultra 20° - optimistically rated).

Quote Originally Posted by AaronMB View Post
    I cannot speak to the SynMat UL7 but its big brother, DownMat 9 (R-value of 8), gets me below 20F° without problem. At that point, it's my top quilt that's the weak point (an older GoLite Ultra 20° - optimistically rated).
    Thanks, Aaron. Greatly appreciated.

Hammock
    DH thunderbird, TTTG switchback
    Tarp
    OMW
    Insulation
    pads, -25*UQ,0*TQ
    Suspension
    whoopies, straps
    +1 for the expedition 9 down pad. Haven't used it much in cold camping for hammocks but tenting was super toasty under me.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronMB View Post
    I've got that exact same TQ, I also feel it's rating is just a bit optimistic. Still, I have used it on several below 20 nights with a bit of layering. I was absolutely toasty on my recent PB at 6F wearing a VB shirt plus I might have had a fleece jacket all inside the HHSS with over cover.

SoCal, I don't know if a 3.1 R value would be enough for most folks down to 20F. Probably to 30F, but 20F might be pushing it. Unless you are a very warm sleeper? I was very toasty at 18F with 2 fall/summer pads stacked in an SPE, but I think the combined r values were more like 5. But, if you are sleeping in poorly compressing insulation like heavy fleece or inside a synthetic bag, you can push that pad further.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    UQ- Winter Lynx FL
    Suspension
    Straps & Dutchware
    Reflectics works well you can buy it at Lowes. 25 feet for $25. R-value of 3.7, which is almost considered 4 season. Lighter than any of the Neoairs. I have used the neoair ex-therm in temps of 0 degrees. The nice thing about reflectics is that it is far less bulky with no blowing. Doubles as a camp sit pad, which also keeps you warm.

http://m.lowes.com/pd_13358-56291-BP...ductId=3011906
    StoryTellerTN

Life is always better when your "hanging" out with friends.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    SoCal, I don't know if a 3.1 R value would be enough for most folks down to 20F. Probably to 30F, but 20F might be pushing it. Unless you are a very warm sleeper? I was very toasty at 18F with 2 fall/summer pads stacked in an SPE, but I think the combined r values were more like 5. But, if you are sleeping in poorly compressing insulation like heavy fleece or inside a synthetic bag, you can push that pad further.
    BillyBob: Excellent points you raise! I consider myself a cold sleeper. I had read on other forums that this pad was used at temps that seem low for a pad with a 3.1 R value. But I believe that they supplemented with an additional thin CCF pad. Plus I was wondering if guys were deflating their pads in a hammock and thereby reducing the R value a little and not getting similar warmth as those who used it on the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Storytellertn View Post
    Reflectics works well you can buy it at Lowes. 25 feet for $25. R-value of 3.7, which is almost considered 4 season. Lighter than any of the Neoairs. I have used the neoair ex-therm in temps of 0 degrees. The nice thing about reflectics is that it is far less bulky with no blowing. Doubles as a camp sit pad, which also keeps you warm.

http://m.lowes.com/pd_13358-56291-BP...ductId=3011906
    Thanks, StoryTeller. I am toying with the idea of trying some Reflectix to supplement my next pad. I like the idea of having some flexibility with my set up. That is, I can just bring the pad during warmer trips and the pad + Reflectix to supplement in colder weather. On the other hand, taking two pieces of gear instead of one tends to drive me batty. I still do trips where I have to be on the ground, so an inflatable makes good sense. But the Reflectix gives some options on combining for warmth. I'd like to PM you some questions re the Reflectix, if you don't mind.

Michael

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCal Mike View Post
    BillyBob: Excellent points you raise! I consider myself a cold sleeper. I had read on other forums that this pad was used at temps that seem low for a pad with a 3.1 R value. But I believe that they supplemented with an additional thin CCF pad. Plus I was wondering if guys were deflating their pads in a hammock and thereby reducing the R value a little and not getting similar warmth as those who used it on the ground.
    Yes, that inflation factor is a possible difference. One other possible dif comparing a hammock to the ground: the hammock may well be colder than the ground. Cold air will be right up against your back, and often that air can be colder- maybe even a lot colder- than the ground. Just as important: the ground is fairly constant temp wise, but the air under your hammock is constantly being replaced with a brand new layer of cold air. Possibly even enough to add a wind chill factor, depending on how well air flow is blocked.

So, it is quite possible that more pad will be needed at the same temps if you are in a hammock, compared to the results of folks on the ground. Still, a piece of CCF can keep you warm at amazing temps considering weight and especially cost. A torso sized piece of even WM blue CCF stacked onto your Exped- inside an SPE- would probably take you WAY below 20F, plus serve as a sit pad, maybe even a pack frame. Or, does your pack already have some CCF that could serve dual purpose?

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    So, it is quite possible that more pad will be needed at the same temps if you are in a hammock, compared to the results of folks on the ground. Still, a piece of CCF can keep you warm at amazing temps considering weight and especially cost. A torso sized piece of even WM blue CCF stacked onto your Exped- inside an SPE- would probably take you WAY below 20F, plus serve as a sit pad, maybe even a pack frame. Or, does your pack already have some CCF that could serve dual purpose?
    Incorporating some CCF or Reflectix into my pack might work. Right now I'm designing some backpacks and I have a small pad I use in the back panel but it's really only enough for a foot box. I may be able to double that to get to a small torso size pad to supplement in colder weather. Since my legs tend to get cold, I might be better off bringing a larger piece of CCF or other similar padding to be on the safe side. Thanks!

Michael

• + New Posts