Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Yeti / Ultra 20
    Suspension
    Straps/Biners

Seasonal Setup Changes

I just wanted people to list how they change their setup from the summer to cooler months when they hang.

I have a Warbonnet blackbird and havent had it in the cold weather yet. I am still researching a pad or a under quilt as to what I need when its cool. I use a Mountain hardwear ultralamina 15 but havent been cold enough to have to pick up some warm thermals or down booties, etc.

So how does your hammock change from the summer to the winter?

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    For me:

Underquilt- Change from Warbonnet Winter Yeti to 3-Season Yeti
    Tarp- Change from Warbonnet SuperFly to OES MacCat Standard Spinn
    Topquilt- Switch out JRB Rocky Mtn Sniveler to either 3-Season or JRB Shenandoah
    Pad- Comes out of the pack entirely

Welcome to the Forums and your username cracks me up.

HaHa! I just realized this is all backward based on the OP's request for summer to winter. Sorry bout that.
    Last edited by Cannibal; 06-19-2009 at 09:23. Reason: Whoops!
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Yeti / Ultra 20
    Suspension
    Straps/Biners
    I guess I need to look into how I can pack all of that. the warbonnet blackbird by itself is nice, easy and compact. Then if you add a sleeping bag and a tarp it takes up a significant amount of my pack. Then if I get a underquilt and a pad, well that just about fills me up before I even get to my other gear. I will have to do some research on how to pack everything. Right now I am using a kelty red cloud 5600.

ἑταῖροι
    Hammock
    Switchback
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Ultra
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    In winter I'll add a snugfit uq, base layer, fleece jacket, down vest and possibly down booties. This is added to either a BB or HH, OES Ultra, rain gear, z-rest pad, top quilt or bag, stove, water filter + food. I also usually carry my dslr camera.

I pack atrociously and this all fits in my golite jam. I have no idea how you're filling up that Kelty. How big is your sleeping bag?
    Live by the sword, die by the arrow

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    synthetic sleeping bags and underquilts can take up some considerable space. I have a roughly 4000 cu/in pack and I end up having problems trying to cram in everything I need for my sleep system, clothes and food. Now that I have gone to the Super Shelter I can lose my massive DIY synth underquilts and hopefully have less of a problem. The winter was absurd. My cheap Coleman 0* synth sleeping bag is about the size of my pack all by itself. That's one reason I wanted a pulk... to carry the extra crud I need to carry in the winter. My food bag is also heavier than most because I err on the side of extra food in order to stay out of trouble on the trail. Hard candy and things like that don't compress well and weigh what they weigh. No way to dehydtrate pepperment swirl hard candies.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Yep, those synthetic bags are a bugger! We rented a bag for Genuine Draft's son from REI and he could barely get it in the pack without some serious compression.

I can only assume your bag is synthetic because I can darn near pack for a winter outing/w food for 4 days in a 3,500 cu in pack. A week in winter with my 4,600 cu in pack is a cake-walk with room to spare.

If you really want to open your pack space up, look into the Yetis from Warbonnet. They are torso length underquilts insulated with down. They can be made to pack very, very small and they are light (12 oz). Some folks carry a small sit pad to throw under their feet to insulate where the Yeti doesn't reach, but during the summer and late spring you don't really need it.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Packed Size: 7.5 x 17 in
    Insulation: Thermic Micro
    Temperature Rating: 15°
    Style: Mummy
    Weight: 2 lb 13 oz / 1300g

The Mountain Hardware Ultralamina 15 is indeed a synth bag. That packed size of 7.5 x 17 is going to make it a bear to fit into most packs. I would suggest you try stuffing it into the pack without a stuff sack. It would probably make better use of the available space. That is what I have to do with my cheapo Colman 0*. Otherwise I have no usable space in the pack. If you are worried about the pack being water proof stuff it into a trash compactor bag first and then cram it home into the pack.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Images
    another thing is that if you switch to a topquilt you cut out alot of top insulation even compared to a down bag. i believe my marmot down bag is like 60+" wide when used as a topquilt, wheras an actual topquilt is around 48" wide and packs alot smaller. this is often overlooked when folks talk about needing more (or at least wider) bottom insulation in a hammock, as you can go with a narrower tq.

the 3 season yeti packs in a stuffsac the same size as your bb hammock does.

anyone use those 50° sleeping bags that Sportsmans Guide had on sell a few yrs ago? they pack down as small as some down bags. You could unzip it and make a great top quilt. I know a few folks made an underquilt out of them
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

ἑταῖροι
    Hammock
    Switchback
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Ultra
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I shouldn't post before coffee, I totally missed the sentence about which bag

Still, I have a Sierra Designs Arrow Rock 15 that has a listed stuff size of 8 x 18. It's 600 fill goose down and it's massive but warm.

I recently jumped on the golite sale and got an ultra 20 top quilt. This thing is tiny in comparison and makes a big difference bulk wise.

Considering your username expensive down gear may not be an option, but I'd recommend something like the ultra 20 or a speer top quilt, it makes a world of difference.

Other than spending money, yeah, ditch the sack and stuff the bag
    Live by the sword, die by the arrow

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast