Rain cape/undercover? Semi-asym tarp?

I'm preparing to make my first diy hammock (been using GTUL for a few years), and of course I have a list of other projects in mind to go with it! I have a couple ideas, and was wondering if anyone has tried them.

First, I was thinking of trying to make a rain cape that would double as an undercover. I know people have done this with ponchos (I have a cheap poncho tarp I have been using as a tarp, but it's small and could be lighter). Basically, it would be like a Hennessy Cat Cape, but rectangular - just a rectangle with a zipper, plus end channels with cord for gathering and attaching to the hammock. Can I make it small enough to not drag everywhere as a cape, but big enough to use as an UC to hold a pad? Like this, but without the hood, and used under instead of over: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...45-Hoodie-Tarp. Is there something I'm not thinking of that would make this not work well?

My other idea was to make a tarp that is rectangular on one corner, and like a parallelogram (typical asym style) on the opposite corner, if that makes sense. Like cutting a rectangle into a parallelogram, but stopping halfway. The purpose would be to offer a little extra coverage for my head, and a little bit of a "porch" or cooking area if it is raining. Thoughts?

I'm sure I'm not the first to think of these ideas, but I can't find any other posts about them. Also, would seconds of 1.1 silnylon be ok, or should I spring for firsts?

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Asym
    Insulation
    DIY 2/3 UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Toggles
    I am in the process of making a poncho tarp myself. I am making mine a 10x5 rectangle giving me just over 11 ft on the diagonal. I am putting channels in the short ends for shock cord and tie outs on the corners. I am doing a slit and collar (I don't like hoods) for the head hole. (check the 11th post HERE for a better visual) With this design I think I can use it as a poncho, an asym tarp or an under cover.

My only concern in if 10 feet may be too long to wear as a poncho, even over my pack, so I may need to add snaps or tie it up once I finish it.

I have the silnylon cut and two ends hemmed but I am not sure when I will be able to get back to finish it. Between Spring chores, my boys wanting to play outside and school my DIY time is hard to come by. IF I ever finish this one I will also be making a full catcut tarp and this one will become my supplemental multi-purpose rain protection.

I am interested in what you come up with on here.

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    Arrowhead Toxaway
    Insulation
    Wilderness Logics
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    I had a poncho made in light silnylon with shock cord channels in all four sides and used with shock cord and toggles. It is a hoodless design with a tall collar. Works great! I got a Hennessy SuperShelter foam pad and use that with a space blanket for my summer hangs.

The poncho is silnylon and measures 59"x104". It has a slit for the head hole, much like the MLD ponchos, so it closes under tension. I didn't want a hood, so it has a 3" tall collar with a drawstring-- a gasket, so to speak. The hems are all used as channels and end in diagonals so they don't overlap. The bottom channels have 1/8" shock cord with toggles and a mitten hook, so they can be hung from the suspension and gathered. The side channels have 3/32" shock cord and toggles so they can be tensioned for the sides of the undercover. The finished undercover weighs 9.7oz with the stuff sack.

See https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...read.php?36668 for photos. The post concentrates on using Garlington Insulators made with space blankets, but it shows the poncho hung under my Hennessy.

Thanks for the replies. I finished my hammock, but haven't gotten to these projects yet, and summer is fast approaching!

DaleW, I like the way you think. Do you think I could make a cape that is only 6' long work as an undercover in a similar way? I know it wouldn't cover the whole hammock, but I really want it more to hold insulation than actually protecting the hammock (I don't get out much in nasty weather). I want it to be a cape rather than a poncho, and 104" is just too much fabric to use that way.

Anyone else have feedback for me?

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    ENO (for now)
    Insulation
    DIY underquilt
    Suspension
    woopies
    Dale I like that poncho with the slit idea. Any chance for a few close ups of that?

Well, I finished my projects, aside from a few details, so I wanted to share what I came up with.

First, I made my 1.1 ripstop gathered end hammock with Knotty-style side stretch on opposite diagonals. 8.75 oz.

Next, I made the rain cape/under cover like I mentioned above, out of 1.1 argon sil from Dutch. I may need to add a collar, but I want to try it in the rain first. It has shock cord on all four sides, with cord locks in the middle of the long sides to snug it up in under cover mode. To attach it, I just tie overhand knots in the short sides after I gather them, and hang that over the end of the hammock. One photo below shows it with a windshield reflector tucked in. I find it's quite easy to reach over the side and adjust as needed. 7 oz.

And today I finally finished my tarp (except for sealing the seams), also 1.1 argon. I went with a hybrid hex/asym shape to try to get the best of both worlds as far as coverage and weight, since I always sleep on the same diagonal. It has a continuous ridgeline, though I haven't decided yet if I like it over or under, and tensioners on the guylines. I also added a mesh (bath puff) snakeskin to make packing it up easy. No hardware on this baby - knots are all I need. 9oz for the whole shebang.

I have a bug net I made two or three years ago for my GTUL that I need to add, and I need to make a decision on what insulation I want to use, but so far I'm happy!

Ps - sorry if some of the pictures are sideways. I don't know how to fix it, at least not from my phone.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    You did awesome work there......yes, I said awesome.
    Whoooooo ....now time for the woods?
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Thanks, Shug! I'm proud to get an "awesome" from you! I'm hoping to get out in the woods to try it out in a few days!

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristineM View Post
    Thanks, Shug! I'm proud to get an "awesome" from you! I'm hoping to get out in the woods to try it out in a few days!
    Whoooo Betty)))))....heading out myself for 4 days this morn'.
    So thrilled.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

• + New Posts