Hammock
    Warbonnet RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    SF, Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 0, 20
    Suspension
    adjustable straps
    I don't have a CF tarp but I did worry about my CRL abrading my silnylon. My tarp (SF) has a more curve in the last 12-18 inches. I ran my hand between the RL and the tarp to find where the most pressure was between the two and added 2 lengths (about 1 foot each) of small diameter aquarium tubing onto the RL at the pressure points. That allows the RL to slide through the tubing at those points and minimizes abrasion.

One side effect of that solution is it positions the RL ever so slightly off of the tarp outside of the plastic tubing so it also reduces the RL-tarp pressure outboard of the tubing.

The down side of that solution is it adds weight AND you need to test it by running water down your RL. You may need to put drip lines btwn the end of tubing and the end of the tarp.
    “I held a moment in my hand, brilliant as a star, fragile as a flower, a tiny sliver of one hour. I dropped it carelessly, Ah! I didn't know, I held opportunity.” -Hazel Lee

Hammock
    11ft Argon 1.6oz, single layer
    Tarp
    Camo SilArgon
    Insulation
    Down!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Has anyone considered bonding a sacrificial strip of extra cuben underneath their ridge seam to run the crl underneath? A 2" strip of 2.92oz cuben/poly hybrid from zpacks (the "Arcblast" material) would add 0.5oz to an 11' tarp. A strip of 1.43oz cuben ( "Zero" ) would add 0.25oz. 0.73oz cuben would add 0.125oz, and 0.51oz even less. A small weight penalty to pay for the additional protection, and it would cost $30-40 for one yard. ripstopbytheroll will sell you 1/2yd of 0.51oz for under $14, and that would be enough to bond 2 layers of 2" wide protection, although more fiddly. You could probably also use 1" wide cuben tape from zpack, although the chance that the tarp sits nicely on that 1" strip is obviously lower.

Is the wear even along the length? Or are there particular wear spots? (eg ends).

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 sngl /Sock
    Tarp
    Z-Packs
    Insulation
    EE and WM
    Suspension
    Whoopie/sshackles
    Or get rid of the CRL.
    I got rid of my CRL and now just use Lash-it whoopy slings attached to the ridge line edge ties to make for easy adjustments.
    A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
    -- William James

Used a cuben fiber tarp and a CRL above the tarp for an entire AT thru hike. No problems what so ever.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123