DIY Hammock/Bivvy Combo

Hello Everyone,

This is a thought that has been brewing for a while and I thought I would post it here to get a sort of sounding board before potentially going ahead with an actual physical project.

The thing is that I happen to live by the Mediterranean, so there is occasionally a lack of trees when out and about due to people having been quite keen on wooden ships the past few millennia. The easy solution to this, of course, would be to have one hammock and one lightweight tent and then plan ahead and select wisely before going out, but my thought is that perhaps I would be able to construct something fairly lightweight that can be adapted to both situations. Besides, in summer it keeps warm high above the tree line and one never knows when it feels like a good time for a nap.

My main problem has been the material for the hammock. Using ripstop nylon as a ground sheet in bivvy mode would, I presume, fairly soon make it unusable as a hammock. So, I was considering tyvek, which would sort that problem, but from what little I have found about tyvek hammocks online they are fine until they break, and then they break suddenly and straight off. Not that I would hang a hammock over a cliff's edge, but it might end up uncomfortable still. However, as tyvek (according to Dupont's website) is perfectly fine for gluing, I was thinking of adding on reinforcment which, using only a few and not very wide strips, would not add to the weight all too much while, hopefully, increasing strength as well as preventing a potential break from being straight off.

As attachment I have added a drawing with a couple of ways I have thought might be good for the reinforcing strips. With 1cm (0.4") strips at 5/10cm spacing (2-4") it would increase the hammock weight by 20%, but if it makes the project doable it might be worth it. The 1cm width of strips is what I personally think look broad enough to stop a tear, but 5mm (1/4") might be fine, and the 10cm spacing is based on then always having reinforcement under a supporting point when hanging (unless, eh, doing knuckle pushups in the hammock). Any ideas on these or the project in general will be warmly welcomed!

Thanks,
    Martin

Hammock reinforcement.jpg
    Last edited by Lemoert; 04-03-2014 at 14:11.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I wouldn't spend any time on a tyvek hammock, but knock yourself out if you want to give it a go. The reinforcements probably aren't going to do much. Better to use the tyvek as a ground cloth and use a hammock with integrated bugnet as bivy.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    You'll have vapor barrier issues with any non-breathable (aka waterproof) material.

Your best bet is probably to bring a ground sheet along, and use a netted hammock as a bug bivy. There are some very light weight options out there, if you look around. Gossamer Gear Polycro Ground Sheet - 1.6oz

Like this http://skillsandgear.com/tag/bivy/ , just make sure the bottom material is extra strong.

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Better to use the tyvek as a ground cloth and use a hammock with integrated bugnet as bivy.
    That's what I'd say but have only done it in the back yard under my 9x10' CF tarp.
    Mike

Learn to survive and thrive in any situation, for you never know what might happen. Love family and friends passionately. Suffer no fool. Know your purpose in life and follow it with all your heart.

• + New Posts