Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by titanium_hiker View Post
    I think the best term to use would be "newbie proof" not "entry level"
    I intentionally did not use the "newbie" language in the title and I thought twice before I used it in my last post. The term has a somewhat pejorative feel TO ME in that manner of use. I wanted a level playing field if you will by acknowledging that, while some hammocks may appeal more than others to new hangers, they all have their quirks and foibles. I also was drawing on the language which I identified the most in terms of use on the forums.

The Skeeter Beeter is _to me_, an entry level hammock because price wise it is worth taking a chance on if you are uncertain of the long term viability of hammock camping, and frankly... it is what I bought for my daughter when she was first interested. It certainly is not the easiest hammock to set up with no ridgeline and the rather funky (imo) bugnet setup. But it is a hammock which I think would hold its value, relatively speaking, and provide a pleasant experience for the fair weather camper. But once again, I know there are a lot of very experienced hanger here in the forum who use the skeeter beeter as their primary hammock and are very content doing so.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DIY speer type
    Tarp
    OES Maccat
    Insulation
    JRB Nest+ORM
    Suspension
    Webbing + Slings
    Images
    beginner proof, then. I don't find the word "newbie" offensive, but respect that some people might.

TH
    my hammock gear weights total: 2430g (~86oz)
    Winter: total 2521 (~89oz)
    (see my profile for detailed weights)

gram counter, not gram weenie!

Hammock
    WARBONNET BLACKBIRD
    Tarp
    wallyworld blue
    Insulation
    YETI
    Suspension
    straps and rings
    Images
    well if the criteria is begginer proof, I would have to say the trek light/eno/grand trunk. The simple instructions of looping the cord around the tree and hooking a "s" hook to it, is about as simple as you can get.
    I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane. - Waylon Jennings

Hammock
    DIY speer type
    Tarp
    OES Maccat
    Insulation
    JRB Nest+ORM
    Suspension
    Webbing + Slings
    Images
    personally I'd feel uncomfortable recommending a system like that, plowhorse, I have a fear that hammocks will be banned as their popularity increases if we don't take care of the trees. That's a discussion for elsewhere, but I think it's important to have tree-huggers, or webbing straps.

TH
    my hammock gear weights total: 2430g (~86oz)
    Winter: total 2521 (~89oz)
    (see my profile for detailed weights)

gram counter, not gram weenie!

Hammock
    Blackbird - Dbl. 1.1
    Tarp
    OES Spinn Deluxe
    Insulation
    REI Lite-Core 1.0
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopies
    Images
    Plowhorse has a point though, I bought an ENO based on the simplicity of strapping it to a tree. Though their starps don't harm the bark so I also agree with TH. But lets not forget that the price/simplicity/comfort are what converted me, and I can't be the only one. I think all three make up an entry level hammock, but I still think they have a place. Shoot, my Singlenest is hooked up in the backyard as we speak. I'll never get rid of it.
    Those who expect disappointment are never disappointed.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    wb superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear UQ TQ
    Suspension
    webbing
    I think that availibility is also a factor maybe not as much as the other 3 but to me i felt better about buying my eno double nest because i got to put my hands on it & look at it in person maybe its just me i dont know

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I think price is the biggest consideration most people choose their first hammock on. They don't want to drop a few hundred dollars on a system that they might not stick with. If they could get all the expensive features on a cheap hammock...like a HH w/ SuperShelter and larger tarp for $50...I bet most would do it. So they sacrifice features for price until they decide they like hammocking enough, and they learn enough to appreciate what features they will value in a more expensive model, for them to upgrade.

It just happens that most cheaper hammocks have the same things in common...generally only come with one or a few of the "non-entry-level" features of light weight, integrated bug net, silnylon tarp (especially not cat or hex), choice of functional suspension, insulation choices, etc.

Just because a non-newbie still uses a "starter hammock" doesn't mean it's not a starter hammock any more. I still use a standard gathered-end DIY with no bug net sometimes, especially in winter when I want to save weight. I won't be offended if you call that a starter hammock.

Newbies often start with CCF b/c it's the cheapest and least fussy insulation available. It's the first thing I recommend to someone just trying out hammock camping, which makes it a starter plan in my book...but some experienced hammockers - including Youngblood and TeeDee - still use it as a mainstay in their insulation plan. Once you get a certain level of experience with your gear it really doesn't matter what other people call it.

Look across all types of consumer goods - electronics, cars, sporting equipment, houses - and in each category the major discriminator between starter gear and others is price...which is the driving force behind why starter gear has lower quality or fewer features than the more expensive ones. (Well, that and marketing, but still.)
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    DIY Speer-type
    Tarp
    modded SG 12' x12'
    Insulation
    CCF and DAM
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    I agree with JustJeff.

It seems to me that there is alot of OCD being channelled into the quest for the ultimate hammock setup. This is NOT a bad thing, this is how innovation happens, but there is always the potential to make things more complicated than they really need to be. For me, the entry level hammock was a Hennessy. Didn't like it, switched to a gathered end. I still use pads. They're bombproof, and are much more useful if I have to go to ground. I'm just as guilty of OCD as anybody else, but at some point I had to take a step back and say, "This is good enough."

Heresy, I know.

Hammock
    WARBONNET BLACKBIRD
    Tarp
    wallyworld blue
    Insulation
    YETI
    Suspension
    straps and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by titanium_hiker View Post
    personally I'd feel uncomfortable recommending a system like that, plowhorse, I have a fear that hammocks will be banned as their popularity increases if we don't take care of the trees. That's a discussion for elsewhere, but I think it's important to have tree-huggers, or webbing straps.

TH
    hey I agree with you on that one. I was just pointing out that the simplicity of the setup, coupled with the price, is very attractive to beginers. I personally use weebing, and a four wrap knot when hanging mine. When using my kids Kalisto hammocks, I double them up for strength, and hang them with webbing through the clevis hoos that came with them.

Hammock
    WARBONNET BLACKBIRD
    Tarp
    wallyworld blue
    Insulation
    YETI
    Suspension
    straps and rings
    Images
    man I can't spell!!!!

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast