Thread: Noob questions

Noob questions

I'm new here, have never slept in a hammock. I'm considering going the camping hammock route IF it can save me some pack space. I'm not that fussy of a sleeper. I've slept on the seat of a U-Haul truck more times than I care to remember without any complaints. Coulda been better, but that's the hand I was dealt....

Do you know how much pack space your hammock rig requires? I understand destination and season makes gear choices subjective.....I'm interested in three season setup that doesn't require much pack space, as there just isn't all that much room on a two fifty dual sport motorcycle.. I'm trying to get away from this look:

......without sacrificing too much along the lines of comfort. I'm NOT trying to see how much stuff I can pack on the bike......I'm trying to see how little I need to be comfortable. I've got my cook kit down to the size of a 28 oz can of veggies, [4" x 4"] my personal ditty is about the size of my fist, and I want to pare down the sleep system if I can.

I'm an aggressive rider. Occasionally, the front tire breaks traction and I go boomp. I don't need to be fighting the load behind me as I try to avoid being under the bike when in impacts with terra firma. BTDT.

I've looked at some hammocks at REI. They're all in pouches and don't do much to explain what else is required besides what is in their kit. The Hennessy hammock [Explorer, I think?] looks nice and compact. How much room does the three season "not mentioned" items take up?

A week ago, I watched the Shug Emery videos for nOObs. He focuses alot on sub zero camping. While I learned a lot about the suspension, I hope to never lay my head down to sleep in ambient temps that would kill a bear. I'm hoping to see lessor hostile environments during my three season forays into the wilderness. Waking up to 40 degrees is doable. Lower than that on the temperature measuring stick, there's Motel 6. I sleep out in the sticks quite a bit....41 nights last year. That was off of bikes with huge panniers and a dry bag or two lashed on to boot wasn't an overload on a bigger bike. This year, I'll be doing less road riding and more trail riding on a much smaller bike, and need to downsize. And still be comfortable. Any input as to whether a hammock could be a solution for me or simply a lateral move would be appreciated.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    How much space your hammock set-up will take up in your panniers depends on you. Everybody is different. Some need more insulation, others almost nothing. Some are happy with a tiny tarp, others want more protection. In my case, my hammock set-up doesn't really take up more space than my tent set-up. When I go tent camping, I take my Tarptent Rainbow with extras; my sleeping pad and my sleeping bag. When I go hammock camping, I take my Warbonnet Blackbird; my Mamajamba tarp; my underquilt and my sleeping bag. The only difference is, that it's easier to carry the tent on the outside of my backpack. On the other hand, hammock, tarp und quilt fit much better into spaces in my backpack that are otherwise not used as well.

I would recommend trying to spend a night in a borrowed or cheap (e.g. DIY tablecloth) hammock before commiting to hammock camping. Not everybody can sleep in a hammock. If you know that hammocks are for you and that you seriously want to make the switch, I would spend a bit more money and go for one of the options the cottage gear vendors here offer. Which option would be best for you depends on your needs and wishes. Are you a warm or cold sleeper? Will you be camping in really bad weather (e.g. frequent rain storms)? Are you willing to make compromises with regards to comfort if it will save you weight and space?

Butt in a Sling sells some pretty basic and lightweight yet comfortable hammocks. But they don't have integrated bug netting. Dream Hammock sells the Darien, which is geared toward the gram counters. If you go for the 10' (or even 9') version, it will save you weight and space. There are other vendors with similar offers - I'm sure other people will chime in.

If a small tarp will do, the Warbonnet Edge is a great little tarp. So is the Tadpole. And Hammock Gear sells some super light Cuben fiber tarps (which are on the more expensive side, though).

The lightest and smallest underquilt I have seen is the Warbonnet Yeti. It packs down tiny. However, this is a partial (3/4) underquilt, which means you will need a sit pad or the likes under your legs.

Most people also go for a top quilt, which will save weight and space. If you get a top and underquilt, it will effectively replace your sleeping bag and your sleeping pad. In all likelihood, the two quilts will weigh less and take up less space than the pad and sleeping bag.

So you see, there are many options. If you are unsure, try to go to a hang and check out what other hangers are using.

• + New Posts