Hammock
    DH thunderbird, TTTG switchback
    Tarp
    OMW
    Insulation
    pads, -25*UQ,0*TQ
    Suspension
    whoopies, straps
    I have been at this for a year this June. I still find once I lay down it is super comfy, and then I suddenly wake up a few hours later. my first couple of nights are like that(every time) and then the deep sleep kicks in the next few nights. it is always comfy and restful, but takes a few nights to get into the deep sleep .

I liked it as soon as I laid in it. Bought a woot special for my son and I then we were off. Just came in from spending the night in the back yard and I can't wait to get my DIY tarp done and hit the woods this year. This forum and it's Alumni have been instrumental in my successes. Look out for the Yukon Outfitters double hammock on woot it has come back 3 times since I got mine. Best 30.00 I spent.
    Joe

Hammock
    DIY Bridge db layer 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    amsteel/tree strap
    I had a lot of research time because I found hammock forum at a time in my life when I wasn't able to get out into the bush. This paid off because instead of experimenting with different hammocks I was able to keep reading about other peoples' experiences and thinking about my own sleep needs.

A lot of people rush into this whole thing and buy whatever is handy/first one they see/cheap, etc. and then pay for it with an uncomfortable sleep experience. Some research and some serious thinking beforehand pays off IMO.

I went straight for a bridge and aside from comedy routines on it's first hang (too low to get out of...sigh), my first nights' sleep was absolutely (deleted expletive) marvelous.

Since then I've had a few starts to nights that were a pain but it was all my own fault. I'd set up my hammock and rush off to play instead of taking 15 minutes to actually lay in the hammock BEFORE bedtime.

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    It takes me a couple of nights every time I move from my bed to my hammock. But then again, when I sleep in a strange bed it takes me a couple of nights to adjust also. I think it is just about sleeping on a new surface in a new location more than being in a hammock.

I am mostly a side sleeper who will roll on my back every now and then but I toss and turn all night. It does not matter if I am in a bed or a hammock, I do the exact same thing.

I will also tell you that if the hammock is not adjusted properly then I don't sleep at all. A ridgeline under my legs, too much angle that makes my neck hurt, foot pinched to where it cramps, shoulders squeezed...all of these things will make for a very unenjoyable night in my hammock. This is to say, do your testing at home before you take your set up some place that you can't walk away from in the middle of the night. You will be happy you did

Hammock
    To many
    Tarp
    To many
    Insulation
    Incubator 20 + oth
    Suspension
    Buckles
    Images
    I have been using a hammock for about a year now. Just like bed, I have good night's & bad night's. I am much more comfortable in the hammock than a tent as all night's in the tent had become uncomfortable as I have gotten old.

Even after a year I am still fiddling with my set-up. I think this is a constant thing due to weather/season/location/position ect. Some nights you find the perfect hang. Some nights you don't.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    HG
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    For me I was more comfortable right away in a hammock...but now with the right ground gear for me I could go either way and be just as comfy. Things I like about about a hammock vs the ground is during wet weather. It's just easier to stay dry in a hammock. Something I like about the ground is that you can set up almost anywhere you have flat ground and not look for the perfect tree spacing. Some could argue the other way around but I have a harder time finding trees than a good flat area especially when camping with a couple of other hammockers. Not saying I don't love my hammock though...I just love ground camping too!

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Comfortable right away and that improved substantially as the set up and equipment was improved. The worst night in any of my hammock camps have been way better than my best night on the ground.

Hammock
    Clark nx 250, WB xlc 1.7dbl,WB rr d
    Tarp
    OMW, vertex
    Insulation
    incubator0,phoenix
    Suspension
    whoopie,atlas,web
    Quote Originally Posted by DeRozea View Post
    I have been at this for a year this June. I still find once I lay down it is super comfy, and then I suddenly wake up a few hours later. my first couple of nights are like that(every time) and then the deep sleep kicks in the next few nights. it is always comfy and restful, but takes a few nights to get into the deep sleep .
    This is exactly the way I feel some times it takes two nights but never more. If I am really beat the first night will do it.
    When I was a kid the only time we were in the house was to eat and sleep.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    I'd also have to add, that during my ground dwelling days, it would take me until the 3rd night out, before I could adjust enough to the cold hard animal latrine, to get a decent night's rest. That never happens in a hammy. Never a bad night. Cold wind and rain? Who cares, I'm no longer down there with all that water. The wind? It can just wrestle all night with Tato's adjustable tarp tieouts.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Edge/superfly
    Insulation
    Adict
    Being a little OCD I set up my hammock at home and took some naps in it before going out on the trail. I still have some nights where I'm slightly off getting to sleep but I have yet to have a morning where I woke up with the the aches of my years on the ground.

The place it really shows for me is I used to wake up in early mornings and would have a heck of a time getting back to sleep even with an inflatable pad. In a hammock it's not a problem.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast