Hammock
    DIY Test, Bugnet/Tarp In progress
    Images

MWM Seeks silky sleeping companion!

Figured I'd get some responses if I wrote it like a personal ad

Hello All, after lurking for a while I thought I'd post my question and draw upon the wisdom of those more knowledgeable than I.

I'm a big fellow (6'4" and clocking in at around 375 despite my attempts to change it and I'm looking at getting into Hammock Camping. in order to get a feel for what could work and what wouldn't work I make a instant hammock (a even simpler version of the testhammock on risk's site) and made some discoveries.

1 - a 52" x 120" table linen table cloth from my linen service when held by webbing and a larks head knot on both sides actually holds me off the ground (this was a fun experiment and I'm guessing clearly outside the guidelines for usage created when the table cloth was made )

2 - The aforementioned table cloth is neither long enough or wide enough for me to do much more than just lounge in (when lying flat the fabric only just started to curve around the tops of my shoulders/arms, and my feet were sitting atop the knot in the linen)

The test hammock appeals to me and I was considering picking up some fabric to give it a shot, however I'm now concerned that 60" wide will not cover much more than the material I tried tonight. Do they sell bolts of material wider than 60"? I was dragged into a lot of fabric stores as the child of a Mother with a craft sale business, but I did my best not to pay attention at the time!

My budget for getting into this arena is small until I'm sure its something that I want to do long term and the current money situation turns around, but I'm looking at which hammocks / materials for creating a test/entry level hammock on the lower end of the pricing scale would be feasible for someone with my increased caloric storage capacity

I'd love to head you all off at the pass and call Brandon up and order up a custom BB, however Mrs. Rythos is uninterested in any significant investment in this area at this time.

Thanks in advance for your help/suggestions!

Ry
    Last edited by Rythos; 06-18-2009 at 06:06.

Hammock
    Blackbird - Dbl. 1.1
    Tarp
    OES Spinn Deluxe
    Insulation
    REI Lite-Core 1.0
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopies
    Images
    Welcome to HF, My knowledge is little more than yours, but I can say you've definitely come to the right place.
    Those who expect disappointment are never disappointed.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    It is possible to get nylon fabic in 72" widths and potentially even wider but you will probably not find in your local fabric store. So... do not worry. There is some concern over whether central seams the length of the hammock will be A) strong enuf to hold the stress and/or B) disruptive of the lie. However, you can add fabric strips to the sides of the central panel and not run into any proble except for extra weight in the hammock. The HAAB like ENO and others all do it this way and I have done DIY units like this. The side seams are not subject to the full stress of the weight.

As far as weigth of the fabric... I would encourage you to go to a polyester taffeta as opposed to the ripstop. I would think a lightweight (200D) pack cloth would be a gould starting point. Most of that would be nylon but in that weight material the stretch characteristics would probably be managable, but I am not a designer so I would bow to other experience in terms of that information. Polyeste taffeta is easily obtained if your Wally World still has the $1.50 fabric deals. Remember, at $1.50 a yard you can afford to go heavy and refine your fabric choices as you refine your design.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Images
    I should also mention that in the begining the total weight of the product is not going to play into the considerations. We are usually camping within line of sight of the vehicle so while I would love to do some backpacking as the boys get older in the next 3-4 years, right now it's not a priority.

Ry

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Make a two-layer so it's stronger and you can put a pad in between, until you decide to upgrade to an underquilt. And I'd second adding strips to the sides rather than a seam down the middle. Here are some more ideas for a homemade hammock...take what's useful and leave the rest!
    http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeHammock.html

And definitely let us know how it turns out...pics are encouraged!
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    WARBONNET BLACKBIRD
    Tarp
    wallyworld blue
    Insulation
    YETI
    Suspension
    straps and rings
    Images
    don't worry rythos, you aren't the only big fellow here I am 6'2, and 350. I, like you didn't want to invest money in something that i might not like. I went down to my local fabric store, and found some medium weight, about 4 oz per yard, nylon to use for my test hammock. It will easily hold 400 lbs, as I have slept in it with my son who weighs in around 65 lbs. As for wisth, it is 60 in wide, and I have no problem getting enough of an angle to sleep flat. I did get 14 1/2 ft of fabric for mine, because I knotted the ends. Hope this helps, and welcome to the forums.
    I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane. - Waylon Jennings

Hammock
    WARBONNET BLACKBIRD
    Tarp
    wallyworld blue
    Insulation
    YETI
    Suspension
    straps and rings
    Images
    jeff, it's good to see you posting again, I hope you returned okay, and thank you for your service, both on your site and over seas.
    I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane. - Waylon Jennings

Hammock
    Images
    So went and picked up the material today (8 and 1/2 yards, doubled), folded it up and hung it up using a couple of cargo straps.

I hung the foot a little higher than the head end and ended up laying in it for about an hour.

1. It supported my bulk without complaint. At no point did I feel as though there was a structural concern.

2. It's wide enough which was a originally a concern

3. I think I need to tear it apart and fold it more carefully to gather the ends properly. I ended up with an almost bunched stripe in the middle and the edges were a bit flappy. I think this is due to the gathering having been done too rapidly and thus it's ending up more of a W shape than a U or V shape.

Over all I'm very pleased with this and will give it a shot sleeping in it overnight inside to test this sleeping off the ground and then if everything turns out well I'll begin planning on wider tree huggers and a bug net / tarp combo.

Thanks for all the advice,

Ry

Hammock
    Images
    Pictures from the Test Hammock. My son is testing it out in Nateshang.jpg and in the Lakehang.jpg I'm relaxing by the lake for a few minutes for fathers day.

It looks like a tight fit in the picture but I'm actually holding the material down so my face can be seen in the picture.

Ry
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Not all who wander are lost......

• + New Posts