HH explorer deluxe asym zip
    Tarp
    Insulation
    3/4 Thermarest
    Suspension
    Biners&RapRings

Double Lark's head vs figure 8 knot

Hi all,

Might sound funny for some advanced hangers, I was wondering which one of these 2 is better, until l I convert to more " dedicated " hardware like Dutch clips and looped straps.

I am mainly interested in these aspects:

1.safety
    2.rope conservation
    3.ease of adjustability

The rope is the stock one that came with the HH Explorer, some sort of dyneema I think.

Would gladly try any other suggestions that doesn't involve additional hardware, a. i. other knots that would work better in this situation. Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Trebor; 04-05-2014 at 10:52. Reason: Attachment problems
    Respect LIFE, Share PEACE, Live NOW!
    "Everything you do comes back to you."

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    They both should work. I would use the figure eight, we use that in high angle rescue training. A clove hitch may also work and would be easier adjusted than either, just make sure to back it up with a safety.

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    I can't speak to the Larks Head knot but I have used the figure 8 on the bight a lot. I can say the figure 8 on the bight is tough to untie after it has been under pressure. The figure 8 showing by HH in their videos is a good method for the stock suspension but is tough to adjust.

I also have a HH with stock suspension and after using the stock HH method which is a figure 8 (not on the bight) for almost a year I switch over to using rings on the stock suspension. Here is the method I am using: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iJTjful66M and I tie in a half hitch once I have the suspension in place. So far, no slipping.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 Argon
    Tarp
    DIY 1.1 Sil Hex
    Insulation
    WB 3 Season Yeti
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles/Stra
    Quote Originally Posted by dkurfiss View Post
    I can't speak to the Larks Head knot but I have used the figure 8 on the bight a lot. I can say the figure 8 on the bight is tough to untie after it has been under pressure.
    When climbing, we use a figure 8 to connect harness to the belay. It gets super tight after a climb and your arms are super spongie. One trick is to take the free end and loop it back through the near eye of the eight. The trick is to leave the slack in that last loop. It will still cinch down tight, but the last loop should be easier to pull out and loosen the whole knot.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    DIY CF Asym
    Insulation
    Zpacks HGincubator
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by dougalcorn View Post
    When climbing, we use a figure 8 to connect harness to the belay. It gets super tight after a climb and your arms are super spongie. One trick is to take the free end and loop it back through the near eye of the eight. The trick is to leave the slack in that last loop. It will still cinch down tight, but the last loop should be easier to pull out and loosen the whole knot.

That... seems terrifyingly dangerous. How do you know it doesn't ruin the integrity of the knot?

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 Argon
    Tarp
    DIY 1.1 Sil Hex
    Insulation
    WB 3 Season Yeti
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles/Stra
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhacker View Post
    That... seems terrifyingly dangerous. How do you know it doesn't ruin the integrity of the knot?
    I must not have described or photographed it well if it seems terrifyingly dangerous. I learned it at the climb gym where I was certified for climbing and belaying on top rope and lead climbing. I've climbed, fallen, and been lowered on this knot many times. There's very nearly zero chance of this knot failing due to the loop back.

There's no weight bearing on the line that's looped back through. All the weight is born by the other three ex trending strands. It doesn't alter the path or add any additional turns in either figure eight. It just causes the figure eight to cinch down on an extra strand of rope.

Hammock
    Yukon outfitters double
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    KAQ - Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Do you guys not back up your figure 8's anymore either? I was talking to someone the other day that was telling me you don't have to. When I was climbing it was always a requirement to put the safety knot above the 8.

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by OSULumberjack View Post
    Do you guys not back up your figure 8's anymore either? I was talking to someone the other day that was telling me you don't have to. When I was climbing it was always a requirement to put the safety knot above the 8.
    We do in industrial rescue.

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 Argon
    Tarp
    DIY 1.1 Sil Hex
    Insulation
    WB 3 Season Yeti
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles/Stra
    Quote Originally Posted by OSULumberjack View Post
    No, if I put in the loop back I won't put in a back up. The loop back serves as a lock once the figure 8 has cinched down.

I guess I don't understand the ways the figure 8 could fail that an extra overhand know would help. I read injury reports from time to time. I'm not sure I've heard of an injury from the figure eight failing. Maybe someone can help me understand the risks better.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast