Images

Sheltowee Hammock Company - Boone 40* insulated hammock system

Specs-
    Hammock body: 126” x 60”
    Insulation: 84” x 48”
    Weight Rating: 350lbs (comfort rating)

Materials-
    Insulation: 30D ripstop nylon shell
    750 fill power High Loft duck down (25-30% overstuff)
    Hammock body: Double layer 40D ripstop nylon

Includes-
    Fixed-length 105” Amsteel ridgeline
    12’ polyester webbing tree straps
    1” stainless steel cinch buckles (on 12” Amsteel continuous loop)
    Bishop-style stuff sack
    Breathable (noseeum?) storage bag

03/24/2014
    First Impressions

I hung the hammock between the two oaks that stand proud in my front yard, excited to find that the Boone 40* hammock I was sent was equipped with a cinch buckle suspension exactly like the one on Swamp Sling, my go-to hammock. There is no easier suspension than the cinch buckle in my opinion...which means right off the bat, this hammock/insulation combo has a point in the win column.
    Before climbing aboard, I took a minute to look over how everything works. A functional hammock/underquilt combination is a unique sort of creature, so I wanted to make sure I was familiar with all the rigging before I got in and got comfortable. The rigging between the hammock body and the insulation was unique in a way that defies description, but I have to say that it was functional. Everything is adjustable from inside the hammock, from the head/foot end adjustments to the shock cord that runs along the sides of the insulation. Obviously, you have to be able to do a sit up (or spin around) in the hammock to make adjustments down at the foot end, but that’s fairly par for the course. I can’t imagine a way to make those adjustments from anywhere else.
    Once familiar with the rigging (noting that the adjustment points run through cord locks and have beads to keep the shock cord from pulling all the way through - genius!) I went ahead on into the body of the hammock for a lie down. The comfort rating on the material is 350 pounds (this is the double layer model), so I wasn’t 100% sure that it’d manage to hold my 385 pounds aloft. It did, and I was pleased - a sudden drop is never a fun time. It was about 50ish degrees out that evening, but I’m almost always cold. The 40* rating was right on for me. Had I the inclination, I’d have gone inside, got my top quilt, and been more than satisfied to stay there for a several hour nap! My only gripe was with the width. A 60” width is a pretty standard measure in hammocks, but as with other hammocks of that width I found that I’d probably be more comfortable with a few more inches. I’m 6’4”, so I pretty much max out the width on this bad boy when I get in on the diagonal. However, my height very likely makes me an outlier so just about anybody else might be perfectly fine with 60” of width. To be honest, the width wouldn’t be a dealbreaker to me, and the fact that it was my ONLY complaint means that to me, there’s nothing really wrong with this hammock system.
    At a $279 price point for this particular model, I really don’t think there’s anything to complain about there. A comparable underquilt alone from my preferred cottage vendor would run you $185. You throw in a double layer hammock body, cinch buckle suspension, two 12’ sewn loop tree straps, bishop-style stuff sack, and a breathable storage bag (that seems to be made of noseeum mesh, maybe?) and you’re looking at a pretty solid value in my opinion. All of these components bought separately would come up to be more than the asking price of this system bought together.
    What it all boils down to is you lose some of the modular nature of the hammock systems that most of us are accustomed to, but it’s balanced with the fact that there’s not as much fiddle factor as there can be with your normal underquilt. I’m a huge proponent of ease of use and ease of setup, so this system holds a pretty good draw for me. I’d call it a good value.

04/06/2014
    First Overnight

Being freshly back from my trip to England, I finally found some time to get an overnighter in on this hammock...in fact, two nights in a row! There’s not much to add from my initial impression, but I CAN attest to the long-term comfort of the material used for the hammock body and I DID stay warm overnight. Granted, the temps didn’t drop below 51 but I’m a cold sleeper. I want to be all snuggly and warm and such, which this hammock system excelled at. The fact that the system is almost literally all-in-one means that packing up is a breeze. Rather than packing my underquilt then my hammock, they all go together in one neat little stuff sack. It may not be a huge deal right now, but at 8am when I’m not even fully awake saving little steps makes a huge difference in my sanity.
    I used to be a somebody, now I just camp.

Banned
    Hammock
    Nylon between two trees.
    Tarp
    Simply Light
    Insulation
    enLIGHTened Eqmt.
    Suspension
    Made Some Whoopie!
    PICS (and actual weight)!!!! C'mon, man....you should know better than to tease us like this

BF

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Dangerbird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ Full Set
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    I don't have a scale that will do actual weight. I don't worry about weight for my personal gear, so I've never bothered to get a scale. I'd venture that the total advertised weight (hammock/stuffsack and suspension) of 57oz is probably pretty close to right.

As far as pictures, I couldn't get any this weekend...the pollen was THICK (to the point that I couldn't even swat it off my tarp) and wouldn't do the system justice but I'll be setting it up in my sunroom this week for just that reason - pics!

Banned
    Hammock
    Nylon between two trees.
    Tarp
    Simply Light
    Insulation
    enLIGHTened Eqmt.
    Suspension
    Made Some Whoopie!
    You're killin' me, smalls! Seriously, there really isn't very much as far as pics or videos on this system. Anything would help.

BF

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Dangerbird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ Full Set
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    Oh, it'll be there. I won't leave you (nor anybody else) hanging, as it were.

...see what I did there? Hanging? That's funny.

Hammock
    Streamliner, Boone 30
    Tarp
    UGQ, Spinn Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ, SSUQ, Greyloc
    Suspension
    UCR's, Whoopies
    Images
    'Cause I hang alone, yeah
    With nobody else
    Yeah, you know when I hang alone
    I prefer to be by myself
    Give me more darkness said the blind man,
    Give me more folly said the fool,
    Give me stone silence said the deaf man,
    I didn't believe Sunday School.
    Phil Keaggy

Hammock
    Sheltowee Hammocks
    Tarp
    Big, Retangular
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Thanks Gresh, awesome write up! I hear ya about no pics :/ I'm not very good at taking them myself on trips, and I want good ones! But that is something I'm getting better at. In fact, this week I'll be loading up the gallery on my site with new pics of the hammocks as well as filling out both the 'tips and tricks' and 'set-up videos' sections with moving pictures highlighting different features of the hammocks.

Your experience with hammocks and kind words about the Boone 40° mean a lot to me, thanks for posting!!
    -Alex

Sheltowee Hammocks Feature INTEGRATED UNDERQUILTS! Starting at $224

Step Out Of Your Sheltowee @ www.ShellHammocks.com

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Dangerbird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ Full Set
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    Set up doesn't even NEED a picture/video, Alex. In my opinion, it truly doesn't get easier than cinch buckles. When I first pulled the Boone 40 out of the box, my initial thought was "God, I'm gonna have to test something with one of those whacked out suspensions like any other hammock." I was SO wrong, and I've never been more glad to be so.

As anybody I've done a review for before knows, I'm brutally honest. That said, there's nothing bad I can say about this system. It's unique and it might not fit in everybody's gear list because of that but it very truly does everything it does amazingly. It's obvious to me that a lot of thought went into this system and it shows. One thing that I failed to mention is the little "pockets" of fabric on the head and foot end of the insulation. There's a little shelf-like area (described officially as "excess material at both the head and foot ends of the hammock...this area can be used as gear storage and is easily accessible from within the hammock") immediately underneath the quilt suspension lines that I wasn't entirely sold on when I first set this up in the yard. I had my little brother over, looked at it with him and said "meh." Figured it could work or not, but didn't look promising.

Again, I was wrong in my initial assessment. I found that particular bit of extra fabric incredibly useful. Like many, I don't much care to sleep in my pants and with all the pollen in the air I wasn't inclined to hang anything outside. The "storage space" was perfect for holding my wadded up kilt without having any sort of effect on the insulation or how it worked. I continue to be surprised by how versatile this system is. What it lacks in modular insulation, it makes up for with convenience everywhere else.

...now if only there were one with an integrated bug net...

Hammock
    Sheltowee Hammocks
    Tarp
    Big, Retangular
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Gresh View Post
    Set up doesn't even NEED a picture/video, Alex. In my opinion, it truly doesn't get easier than cinch buckles. When I first pulled the Boone 40 out of the box, my initial thought was "God, I'm gonna have to test something with one of those whacked out suspensions like any other hammock." I was SO wrong, and I've never been more glad to be!
    they ARE super easy! I'm thinking of the absolute novice tho, who might not even know what a hammock suspension is.. plus, I can show off how easy set up and take down truly is with cinch buckles!

I want to highlight those gear pockets too, to weed out the initial skepticism (: I'll admit I was skeptical too at first! this area existed in all of my early prototypes but I never knew quite what to do with it. I made it a little larger, and easier to access and the gear storage was born! what's great is that is doesn't mess with the UQ at all, it only HELPS seal the ends even better! no more questioning where to put my boots/shoes; a frameless pack fits in there nicely too.

I'm glad that you have found this area useful! it is kind of a dual purpose area that only helps insulate with more stuff you out in here (kinda like Clark's pockets I guess).
    -Alex

Sheltowee Hammocks Feature INTEGRATED UNDERQUILTS! Starting at $224

Step Out Of Your Sheltowee @ www.ShellHammocks.com

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Dangerbird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ Full Set
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    Got some pretty good pictures this weekend at the Smoked Butt Hang, figured I'd share them here.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast