Tarp
    WB
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoops
    Images

Wind vs Tarp/Hammock. Wind wins.

I'm sad to say that after 5+ years of hanging, I'm just about ready to go back to the ground.

The issue isn't the comfort, it's the WIND.

I live in an area that where there's a limited number of hangin trees so I don't always have a lot of options in terms of wind protection and site selection. My last trip was about the last straw. I had my HG Winter Palace absolutely battened down - doors closed, side pulls tied out, and two trekking poles propped against the walls - and I still felt like the wind was going to shred it to pieces all night long. The sound of tarp edges flapping and my hammock tossing back and forth yet again destroyed what should have been an incredible nights sleep. Unfortunately, this happens way too often in my hiking areas.....so..... it pains me to say that I'm just about ready to give it up.

Bummed hanger.

Stumpjumper

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images

Wind vs Tarp/Hammock. Wind wins.

Sorry to hear of your plight.
    I have always said that rain and cold can be dealt with much more easily than wind. Especially when setting up or taking down. Being in the East, I'm always somewhat protected by forest. Although, I won't hang among pines on a windy day for fear of widowmakers.
    On the other hand, your experience is quite a testament to HG Cuben Winter Palace!
    Last edited by MAD777; 04-10-2014 at 18:41.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    DIY CF Asym
    Insulation
    Zpacks HGincubator
    Suspension
    Webbing
    I wonder if it would be possible to make a streamlined tarp or tarpsock.

Hammock
    DIY camo 330D
    Tarp
    DIY Ogees
    Insulation
    Costco down throw
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by StumpJumper View Post
    I'm sad to say that after 5+ years of hanging, I'm just about ready to go back to the ground.

The issue isn't the comfort, it's the WIND.

I live in an area that where there's a limited number of hangin trees so I don't always have a lot of options in terms of wind protection and site selection. My last trip was about the last straw. I had my HG Winter Palace absolutely battened down - doors closed, side pulls tied out, and two trekking poles propped against the walls - and I still felt like the wind was going to shred it to pieces all night long. The sound of tarp edges flapping and my hammock tossing back and forth yet again destroyed what should have been an incredible nights sleep. Unfortunately, this happens way too often in my hiking areas.....so..... it pains me to say that I'm just about ready to give it up.

Bummed hanger.

Stumpjumper

that sucks. are you by any chance a "gram weenie"? if not, and if you can stand the weight....may I suggest a tarp made of more durable materials? say...sailcloth or canvas...maybe even cordura nylon type of material? I've camped in some windy areas...and I'll say this, a canvas tent or tarp shelter will not feel like it's going to be ripped apart from high winds......but yes they are bloody heavy. Scotty Von Porkchop made a tarp out of something similar to canvas cloth, I think it was synthetic canvas but I'm not 100% sure...you could start with a canvas tarp or a boat tarp made out of heavier duty synthetics.....somewhere in between.....?

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    DCF Winter
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ @ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoope
    Images
    Even if you did have some sort of an 'aerodynamic' cover, trying to sleep with a buffeting wind all night is not comfortable.
    Since I retired, some times I stay awake all day, some times all night.

Hammock
    DH RG 11' 1.6 Lefty
    Tarp
    HG, OES
    Insulation
    UQG,HG,WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Sometimes a large tarp is not the answer. It catches more wind and requires additional stakes. Silnylon stretches better and combined with a cat cut can reduce noise. The swaying of trees however will always swing or bounce the hammock. That can't be helped. If it is truly windy it is still loud in a tent. I would still keep your hammock gear and use it on trips where it isn't an issue. Sort of the reason I still have my tent. Never know when I will end up hiking in a treeless area. Good luck.

I'm of the mind set. . .If it ain't raining, and it ain't cold. . .forget the tarp and let the wind sway me to sleep.

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    JRB Cat
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    Stock HH
    Sorry to hear about the bad experience. As spring rolls in here in Wisconsin, the last several trips have had lots of wind. I've had zero flapping and noise on my JRB cat tarp - likely due to the fact that it's sil and can be pulled soooooo taught. However, the wind does come through and gently rock my hammock sometimes. I haven't gotten rid of my tent just yet - not because of the wind, but because of the bugs. Having a nice big area that's bug free is awesome.

I'm thinking you've definitely used a sil tarp before if you've been hanging for 5 years, so you know how taught it can get, so I'm preaching to the choir here.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    DIY CF Asym
    Insulation
    Zpacks HGincubator
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by brogrammer View Post
    Sorry to hear about the bad experience. As spring rolls in here in Wisconsin, the last several trips have had lots of wind. I've had zero flapping and noise on my JRB cat tarp - likely due to the fact that it's sil and can be pulled soooooo taught. However, the wind does come through and gently rock my hammock sometimes. I haven't gotten rid of my tent just yet - not because of the wind, but because of the bugs. Having a nice big area that's bug free is awesome.

I'm thinking you've definitely used a sil tarp before if you've been hanging for 5 years, so you know how taught it can get, so I'm preaching to the choir here.
    Heh. I'm picturing using a tent [i]as[\i] your bug net. You can just make an oversized bug net that falls to the ground and then you can get rid of all that extraneous weight!

Hammock
    DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    I am confused. Does the wind not blow when you are sleeping on the ground?? I'm just trying to figure out how it is going to be more quiet in a tent?

Need Adventure...Make Adventure

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast