Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Recommendation: Hammock friendly sites in Eastern PA or North Western NJ

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for recommendations for a hammock friendly site that would fulfill the following constraints:

-4-6 mile hike to campsite
    -Good for group of 4-10
    -<2 hours from NYC
    -<2 hours from Reading, PA

Round Valley Recreation Area in NJ is a strong possibility but was looking for other options South West or West of there.

Thanks in advance,
    Alex

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7D
    Tarp
    Superfly or DIY
    Insulation
    HG Incubator +MSS
    Suspension
    Straps or Whoopies
    There are some good areas along the AT near Hamburg, PA. The Pinnacle is a popular hike. The trail head is at 40º 34.990′N, 75º 56.51′W. Take the AT north/east to the Pinnacle lookout (about 4.5 miles), then continue along the AT west then south back to the parking lot. The whole loop is about 9 miles. Sorry, I can't help with finding a site or if it's ok for that many people, as I don't backpack yet. You will see day hiker traffic, especially on weekends. Don't forget to add a rock to the pile at Pinnacle if you do go.

pinnacle loop.PNGrock pile.PNG

Edit - Pulpit Rock has a nice view as well and is nearby. It would extend your hike in but is worth it in my opinion. Also, wear good shoes, the AT in PA is where shoes go to die!
    Last edited by mjs3350; 04-12-2014 at 09:09. Reason: Adding note on Pulpit Rock

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Delaware Water Gap is nice.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Senior Member pilsburythrowboy12's Avatar
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    WB mamba, HG Incub
    Suspension
    WB cinch buckles
    Stokes State Forest is an absolute must and there are a multitude sites that are ideally spaced for hammock guys. I can't recommend it enough and if you want a couple trip reports check out my two trip reports with a ton of photos.

First trip last fall:
    http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/showth...Branchville-NJ

Second trip last week:
    http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/showth...nd-Time-Around!

Tillman's Ravine is one of the most scenic trails in the state that's in the park which runs right along the creek. Buttermilk Falls is also another mighty fun feature and you can follow up the feeding creek into the deeper parts of the park if you're so inclined. The park is relatively close by the Delaware Water Gap too if you had the time to check out either. Either way, can't go wrong with either for sure. Heck I might be back up that way the first weekend of May myself if not with my 2 best bush crafting buddies if you want some company to help you find your way around the park.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG down
    Suspension
    Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by mjs3350 View Post
    There are some good areas along the AT near Hamburg, PA. The Pinnacle is a popular hike. The trail head is at 40º 34.990′N, 75º 56.51′W. Take the AT north/east to the Pinnacle lookout (about 4.5 miles), then continue along the AT west then south back to the parking lot. The whole loop is about 9 miles. Sorry, I can't help with finding a site or if it's ok for that many people, as I don't backpack yet. You will see day hiker traffic, especially on weekends. Don't forget to add a rock to the pile at Pinnacle if you do go.

pinnacle loop.PNGrock pile.PNG

Edit - Pulpit Rock has a nice view as well and is nearby. It would extend your hike in but is worth it in my opinion. Also, wear good shoes, the AT in PA is where shoes go to die!
    How much further is Pulpit Rock? This looks like an interesting loop.

I even type with a Dutch accent.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7D
    Tarp
    Superfly or DIY
    Insulation
    HG Incubator +MSS
    Suspension
    Straps or Whoopies
    Actually I just realized Pulpit Rock isn't any further, you just have to deviate from the AT for a short stretch near the end of Reservoir Rd. Here's a map with a slightly different route option, hitting Pulpit http://www.backpacker.com/destinations/hikes/5718.

Thanks everyone.

Decided to try Round Valley this weekend (Fri night through Sunday morning). Feel free to stop by if anyone is going to be around.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7D
    Tarp
    Superfly or DIY
    Insulation
    HG Incubator +MSS
    Suspension
    Straps or Whoopies
    Let us know how it turns out!

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Images
    Stokes is my favorite. But jenny jump is fun. I have never stayed at high point, but they have sites that are right on a lake. I also hear rangers are tuff there. I also think Waywayanda has group site , but no trees. ( could be wrong thi).

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Images
    Nice I forgot round valley. I like it there. I think it's a seven mile hike in. Or u can boat in. Have fun.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast