Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

DIY alterations to a free hammock?

I know there will be skeptics about it, but it was free. My friend distributes for a company and sent me this free Bear Grylls Hammock with bug net. I'm still very new to the hammock forum and hanging in general but I've set it up a few times and would say I'm not disappointed especially for the price (free$$$). I have attached some pictures of the hammock and I'm looking for some tips on how I can make it better. I am still trying to figure out ridgelines and I know they should be 83% of the total length but my question there is where to attach the ridgeline on this setup? This setup also came with 2 sets of cordage to hold the bug net up but I don't like the idea of spending the time running that so I thought about just creating a simple system to attach them to a ridgeline that way I can easily choose whether or not to use the bug net and flip the hammock over. Although they aren't the lightest I do like the easy adjustability of the tree strap buckles they just slide and bite, but I thought about integrating some whoopie slings into this setup but don't really know yet. Another thing I'm skeptical about is the length of rope that runs through the hammock end channels to the carabiners. Is it too long? I am looking for advice from all you guys on what you would do to make this hammock better and what you would replace with this or that or do this instead of that haha. All responses appreciated!

Here are the hammock specs from Amazon:

Manufacturer: Apollo BrandsProduct Dimensions: 120 inches x 60 inches x 1 inches

Last edited by Kpi890; 04-12-2014 at 15:27.

Hammock
    DIY camo 330D
    Tarp
    DIY Ogees
    Insulation
    Costco down throw
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    on the ridgeline mounting, most people I see, tie theirs onto the loop that the suspension runs through.....at the channel ends

I wouldn't be too worried about the name (and I usually hate BG) if it was free and gets you hanging then it's s winner.

I might consider better quality cord through the ends of the hammock and straight to buckles to remove the heavy clips. Prussick loops to hold bug net to eidgeline?

Quote Originally Posted by onfire View Post
    I wouldn't be too worried about the name (and I usually hate BG) if it was free and gets you hanging then it's s winner.

I might consider better quality cord through the ends of the hammock and straight to buckles to remove the heavy clips. Prussick loops to hold bug net to eidgeline?
    What cord would be best for it? And if I went straight to the buckles I would have no easy way to attach and unattached the hammock quickly without the carabiners?

Quote Originally Posted by CamoDeafie82 View Post
    on the ridgeline mounting, most people I see, tie theirs onto the loop that the suspension runs through.....at the channel ends
    So just measure 83% of the length of the hammock and attach it? You think 2.75mm glocord will work for a ridgeline?

I personally use 5 or 6mm climbing accessory cord but Amsteel might be better / stronger. You could probably just thread the buckle once the strap is round the tree, or for ease maybe just swap the clip for a light climbing karabiner? My biners are about 30g each

Hammock
    DIY camo 330D
    Tarp
    DIY Ogees
    Insulation
    Costco down throw
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    yes, start with an adjustable ridgeline though; this will let you dial in the preferred lay/sag angle since 83% is basically a starting point, some people like more sag, other like less sag.....as for better cord through the ends, that's usually the first thing to do... use cord rated 5X or more your weight, and make them continuous loops, that way, you can do a 2-3 wrap larkshead/prussik on the cinch buckle triangle ends, and then do a larkshead on the channel end of the hammock before attaching your ridgeline....this way, you only have to undo the cinch buckles for the tree straps. Less hardware, and lighter weight......Continuous loops from amsteel or similar would be excellent way to start with for less weight

yes, start with an adjustable ridgeline though; this will let you dial in the preferred lay/sag angle since 83% is basically a starting point, some people like more sag, other like less sag.....as for better cord through the ends, that's usually the first thing to do... use cord rated 5X or more your weight, and make them continuous loops, that way, you can do a 2-3 wrap larkshead/prussik on the cinch buckle triangle ends, and then do a larkshead on the channel end of the hammock before attaching your ridgeline....this way, you only have to undo the cinch buckles for the tree straps. Less hardware, and lighter weight......Continuous loops from amsteel or similar would be excellent way to start with for less weight
    Instead of continuous loops through the channels what about whoopie slings fed through the channels and larks head the fixed eye end of them? Thanks for the helpful response!

Hammock
    DIY camo 330D
    Tarp
    DIY Ogees
    Insulation
    Costco down throw
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    that would work, though you would only need to make a loop on the free end of the tree straps to attach the whoopie slings' adjustable ends to, since you don't really need two points of adjustments.... I believe a lot of people here use the whoopie sling/tree straps without hardware....

that would work, though you would only need to make a loop on the free end of the tree straps to attach the whoopie slings' adjustable ends to, since you don't really need two points of adjustments.... I believe a lot of people here use the whoopie sling/tree straps without hardware....
    When you say without hardware do you mean using toggles on the tree straps with the knot I cannot think of right now marliners spike or something?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast