Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Cheap Lightweight Clear tarps

so i was reading a backpacking forum about clear tarps and thought that it would be a really interesting use for a hammock. It turns out they use the plastic insulating sheets that you can by at wally world for a couple bucks and they are really thin and lightweight as well. A few companies have even sold them as tent footprints and they hold up pretty well over a season so theres more durability than i would have thought. Reading about others experience made me confident enough to try one out but really i'd only use it car camping or on short trips where i had rain protection options close by. one person has left it outside for two winters with pretty good success, sounds like the duct tape is the most likely to fail part but really high winds can shred the thinner/cheaper brands too.

edit: here is the thread i was reading, links to other forums should be cool right?

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-...hread_id=59450

so a trip to wally world and 20 min later I had this

IMG_20140413_150911_086.jpg

IMG_20140413_150920_846.jpg

IMG_20140413_150931_565.jpg

IMG_20140413_143323_066.jpg

IMG_20140413_143329_362.jpg

IMG_20140413_143341_520.jpg

i hung out for an hour or so until i got too cold after my hike and was pretty happy with it. You can tension it down pretty tightly and you kind of need to being so light it is kind of a sail!
    Last edited by michgan241; 04-13-2014 at 18:04.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    DIY CF Asym
    Insulation
    Zpacks HGincubator
    Suspension
    Webbing
    It seems almost like bringing two of those would be better than a silnylon one on thru-hikes.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhacker View Post
    It seems almost like bringing two of those would be better than a silnylon one on thru-hikes.
    In retrospect i shoulda weighed it before the hike, once it dries i'd be curious to see the weight compared to silnylon.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    That has got be lighter than a blue poly tarp. Looks good hanging also.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    If it's of interest, there have been a few threads about using Polycro for tarps

looks like its 5.5 oz for the tarp with the tape. 7x10 ft

Banned
    Hammock
    Cotton Amazonian, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Kelty, WB Superfly
    Insulation
    uq or pad
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Looks like fun on a night with lots of stars, but i would recommend packing a backup regular tarp if there was any chance of significant wind or rain. The paint section of most hardware stores has a large selection. My special forces friends don't see the need for a tarp of any kind very often anyway but the morning dew is more than most people care for. Different styles for different folks.

Quote Originally Posted by ntxkayakr View Post
    Looks like fun on a night with lots of stars, but i would recommend packing a backup regular tarp if there was any chance of significant wind or rain. The paint section of most hardware stores has a large selection. My special forces friends don't see the need for a tarp of any kind very often anyway but the morning dew is more than most people care for. Different styles for different folks.
    i will be carrying a back up tarp until it fails. I'd like to see exactly what its limits are and have something ready when i push it too far. for soemthing thats really inexpensive i dont see the harm in stress testing it.

Central California's Gateway to the Sierras
    Hammock
    DIY 11' Gathered End
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    Greylok4; GoLite20
    Suspension
    Whoopies n' Straps
    I use this polycryo material as a ground sheet -something I picked up from BPL years ago. It's great until it gets a pin hole or little tear, then it all bets are off. I will continue using it as a ground sheet but unless they've come up with a thicker version than the few various polycryos that I have used, I'll keep the silnylon as the main tarp. Would make for a lightweight backup or impromptu door.

Earlier this season my local $1 Store was been selling 84"x36" polycryo sheets - perfect groundsheets for the solo hiker. I've also seen it at Walmart and Lowes: cheaper than some other places.

Hammock
    Eno doublenest
    Tarp
    ENO Profly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopieslings
    I wish there was more interest in this subject, I think this is the next breakthrough in hammock camping.

Imagine what a light, clear, water proof, & tough tarp could do for this industry! Just the visibility factor is mind blowing! Instead of hiding under the tarp without a view we could now see the beautiful and awesome creation around us!!

I challenge the hammock cottage industry to begin to research this type of tarp! I believe there would be a HUGE DEMAND for this tarp.

I would rather have this type of tarp than the incredible light Cuban tarp!

So....who is up for the challenge???

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast