how to?? DIY hammock with removable zippered bugnet....

Ordered all my materials for my first hammock...

Wondering how the best way to make the bugnet portion to be completely removable when it's not needed?
    When I ordered I just thought, hey it's a zipper, just zip it off like opening a jacket.... but it's not that simple when buying zipper by the foot. Something I originally over looked.

What's the best way to make this work? I have been able to find only very limited info, but maybe I'm searching the wrong terms....

If completely removable isn't an option, being able to unzip both sides, roll up and stuff into storage sack at the foot end would be the next best option.

Even if adding/removing takes a bit or work that's fine. It would only likely be removed once, and then added once during the season, and even then done at home before the trip so it doesn't have to be something I can do easily in the dark or anything like that. Some fiddling a bit to make it work I could live with. Just no fiddling on the trail!

I've ordered enough zipper coil to go down both sides of the hammock, and 4 sliders.

Thanks for the input!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    DIY CF Asym
    Insulation
    Zpacks HGincubator
    Suspension
    Webbing
    This way? https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...hammock-(pics)

I think that's why they put hoods on the ends of hammocks.

That was my second option... That would definitely work. Ideally it would be great if if could be a seperating zipping, and completely removed and left at home when its not bug season, but maybe I should keep it simple and go that route.

Thanks.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Separating zippers can be found but all the ones I've found were either expensive or not available with a double sided tab. I haven't looked in a while. You could always just use continuous coil zipper and not bartack or zipper stop the ends. It would function similar to a separating zipper, just a little more difficult to operate. If you only plan to take it off once or twice a year, this is a good cheap option. Use hoods on the end of the hammock to hide your zipper ends.
    My head is an animal

Continuous zipper is what I have, and will be using.

Any info how I can make it function as as a seperating zipper??? I haven't been able to find enough specific information. I've read some about it, but not enough to fully understand how to make it work.....

If I can do that great, but at this point I've mostly resigned to the fact it's going to stay permanently attached.... but would love the option to remove it!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Algonquin_bound View Post
    Continuous zipper is what I have, and will be using.

Any info how I can make it function as as a seperating zipper??? I haven't been able to find enough specific information. I've read some about it, but not enough to fully understand how to make it work.....

If I can do that great, but at this point I've mostly resigned to the fact it's going to stay permanently attached.... but would love the option to remove it!
    If you do not bartack or zipper stop the ends, you will be able to remove the sliders and the net will come completely off. It will essentially function as a separating zipper. Here are the differences though: You will have to be careful not to lose the sliders, as they will come completely off as well. Then you can just install the zipper sliders and net all over again when you want it back on. This is harder than a true separating zipper, as there is no little plastic slide to accommodate easy on/off like on a jacket. It is doable though. I have a hammock that I do this on. I don't have pics, but if you are not following me, I may be able to take some later and upload them.
    My head is an animal

Thanks Boulder....

I think I am starting to understand better how it's done.

Read somewhere in another thread to leave one section of the zipper coil longer than the other, with a physical stop at the end to prevent the slider from coming off. This would allow the slider to go far enough for seperation, but still stay attached to atleast one half of the zipper coil.

I think I will try that, and incorporate it into the hood. Thinking that I will have to leave maybe 2-3" of the hood 'loose' as a flap over the zipper ends to allow for the removal. Maybe some velcro to keep things sealed tight if needed....

Not having much sewing experience, it's taken a bit to see it in my mind how physically everything fits together, and functions..... or just how to put it together so it does what I visualize in my head as the finished product..... Think I've pretty much got it figured now.....

How many sliders would you recommend on each side? I thought 2 zipped closed to meet in the centre would be most practical.... but I've yet to hang in a hammock, so maybe not as I assume??

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Thanks Boulder....

I think I am starting to understand better how it's done.

Read somewhere in another thread to leave one section of the zipper coil longer than the other, with a physical stop at the end to prevent the slider from coming off. This would allow the slider to go far enough for seperation, but still stay attached to atleast one half of the zipper coil.

I think I will try that, and incorporate it into the hood. Thinking that I will have to leave maybe 2-3" of the hood 'loose' as a flap over the zipper ends to allow for the removal. Maybe some velcro to keep things sealed tight if needed....

Not having much sewing experience, it's taken a bit to see it in my mind how physically everything fits together, and functions..... or just how to put it together so it does what I visualize in my head as the finished product..... Think I've pretty much got it figured now.....

How many sliders would you recommend on each side? I thought 2 zipped closed to meet in the centre would be most practical.... but I've yet to hang in a hammock, so maybe not as I assume??
    That is a good idea about the length of the zipper coil. Gonna have to do that. I sewed my hood all the way, have no issue, I only remove the net occasionally. I use 2 zipper tabs on both sides, so 4 total. I think that is the best, that way you don't have to reach all the way to the foot or head end to get it closed.
    My head is an animal

Hammock
    Diy DL Asym with bugnet
    Tarp
    Diy winter tarp
    Insulation
    Diy quilts
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    Ordered all my materials for my first hammock...

Wondering how the best way to make the bugnet portion to be completely removable when it's not needed?
    When I ordered I just thought, hey it's a zipper, just zip it off like opening a jacket.... but it's not that simple when buying zipper by the foot. Something I originally over looked.

What's the best way to make this work? I have been able to find only very limited info, but maybe I'm searching the wrong terms....

If completely removable isn't an option, being able to unzip both sides, roll up and stuff into storage sack at the foot end would be the next best option.

Even if adding/removing takes a bit or work that's fine. It would only likely be removed once, and then added once during the season, and even then done at home before the trip so it doesn't have to be something I can do easily in the dark or anything like that. Some fiddling a bit to make it work I could live with. Just no fiddling on the trail!

I've ordered enough zipper coil to go down both sides of the hammock, and 4 sliders.

Thanks for the input!
    It's been some time now. I'm just curious how you made out? I'm looking to do the same thing. Were you able to complete it?
    I'm about to add a second layer to my first. Then gather. I'll be ready for zipper soon enough....

• + New Posts