Tarp
    DIY Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Blue CCF Pad
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings

Question Sewing Attachment Points for Guylines

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and new to backpacking with a hammock!

(Not new to sleeping in a hammock - when I was living on the cheap a few years ago, I had a room that was too small for a bed, so I strung up a hammock from one side of the room to the other and learned to fall asleep to the gentle swaying of my "bed." And not new to backpacking - I've been seriously into outdoor activities for years - but I'm looking to do more solo trips, sans husband, and therefore I need to look seriously at my pack weight, hence my interest in using a hammock instead of a backpacking tent. Also not new to sewing - I have been sewing since I was a little girl and know my way around fabrics and a sewing machine.)

I am planning on purchasing my materials soon, but every good seamstress starts with a design first, and then selects her materials accordingly.

I'm thinking about how to attach the guylines to silnylon loops attached to the tarp. This will be a point of high stress on the tarp fabric and the thread. I could sew the silnylon loop to a reinforcing silnylon patch, then sew the patch to the tent. For the corner tie outs, I believe a triangle shape would put the least force on the tarp fabric/ thread. For the bottom tie outs (in the middle of the edge) and for the side tie outs (in the middle of, well, the middle), I'm not sure what shape to use.

How do you all usually attach your guylines to your tarp?

Thanks in advance for your input! Looking forward to showing off my final design.
    Cheers!

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Silnylon doesn't sound like a very good idea for the loops. Look at most tarps on the market and they use grosgrain or webbing for tie-outs.

I wouldn't reinvent the wheel - plenty of DIY instructions for tarps out there. Here's a recent one:

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...a-Hammock-Tarp
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 04-14-2014 at 15:42.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Silnylon doesn't sound like a very good idea for the loops. Look at most tarps on the market and they use grosgrain or webbing for tie-outs.
    +1 on what Silvr says.
    Another -not as strong as grosgrain - option is to use paracord, or just the sheath from paracord instead of grosgrain/webbing. You need to cut it with a hot knife, and stitch it down carefully. For most tarp guys I think you will be able to get away with just stitching the tie-out over the hem, if you want. (Some paracord is available 'reflective' as well...)

However, if you already know how to sew, you can make a much nicer job with netting bags for storing the guylines integrated with the corner guy points, etc....

Your choice....

Lots of info here at HF via the forum search engine or using Google with site:hammockforums.net in your search string.

Also, check out Scott's website: http://diygearsupply.com/diy-guides/tarps/

And, welcome! You are in the Adirondaks?

Hammock
    GT Ultralight w/ DIY pad pockets
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Blue CCF Pad
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post

I wouldn't reinvent the wheel - plenty of DIY instructions for tarps out there. Here's a recent one:

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...a-Hammock-Tarp
    Silnylon is a great idea! Stitched properly, it should be stronger than grosgrain, and probably just as strong as webbing. It has the added benefit that I don't need to purchase additional materials, and instead can make use of scraps (which always seem to accumulate during a sewing project). I was inspired by this thread (is it ok if I link to other forums?), and agreed with the author's general methodology.

I've been reading these forums for a few weeks now, and I do remember seeing Fronkey's lovely tutorial. Unfortunately, his tarp does not include the guylines in the middle of the side of the tarp, which are concerning me most.

Quote Originally Posted by VictoriaGuy View Post
    +1 on what Silvr says.
    Another -not as strong as grosgrain - option is to use paracord, or just the sheath from paracord instead of grosgrain/webbing. You need to cut it with a hot knife, and stitch it down carefully. For most tarp guys I think you will be able to get away with just stitching the tie-out over the hem, if you want. (Some paracord is available 'reflective' as well...)

However, if you already know how to sew, you can make a much nicer job with netting bags for storing the guylines integrated with the corner guy points, etc....

Your choice....

Lots of info here at HF via the forum search engine or using Google with site:hammockforums.net in your search string.

Also, check out Scott's website: http://diygearsupply.com/diy-guides/tarps/

And, welcome! You are in the Adirondaks?
    Thanks for the welcome! I live Upstate but I'm not in the Adirondacks. Would totally move if I had the chance - but too few jobs in the region. ( I make do with weekend hiking and backpacking trips whenever I can. Have you visited the Dacks before?

I ordered my materials from Scott yesterday! He's in Maine, and I've got some in-laws sort of near him, so of course I wanted to give him some business.

I've been looking around the forums for an answer to my specific question, and I'm dealing with information overload. There are a lot of topics about DIY tarps, but none that deal specifically with attaching guylines to the middle of the side of a tarp. It seems that these guylines would be particularly important when dealing with inclement weather - such that you can maintain a convex shape to the tarp so that it will shed snow and rain more efficiently. Can you point me to any other threads?

Thanks folks!

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Blue CCF Pad
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    Adding to my own thread... I found out that the guylines that attach to the side of the tarp have a name: panel pulls. With this information, I found several other threads that are helpful!

Panel Pull Installation - uses rectangular panel pulls
    Etowah 8x10 Tarp with Panel Pull Mod - square panel pulls, and a cuuuute doggie
    Shape of panel pull out reinforcement - another vote for square, and a really good idea for repurposing something I've already got laying around
    Adding Pull Out Tabs to a Tarp - jackpot, plus an amazing idea for adjustability in post #18.

I think I will either try the idea listed in the last link above - adding a seam for multiple panel pull locations - or I'll try a circle (glass of wine not optional) - or I'll get tired and just use rectangles!

Hammock
    11 ft Dutch
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    3 season New River
    Suspension
    Straps, Whoopies
    Images
    I have never thought of doing the tie outs that way. It does look like it would work, but I wounder about longevity. I think it I was going to make my tie outs this way I would put a D or triangular ring on them to prevent from the wear of the rope on the silnylon even though I know this would add weight. Just a thought.

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Blue CCF Pad
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by JToon View Post
    I have never thought of doing the tie outs that way. It does look like it would work, but I wounder about longevity. I think it I was going to make my tie outs this way I would put a D or triangular ring on them to prevent from the wear of the rope on the silnylon even though I know this would add weight. Just a thought.
    Very very good point!

[In climbing, one never attaches "soft goods" in such a way that there is any chance for friction, which produces wear, and then failure. For example, ropes always go through biners go through slings... never, ever, EVER EVER ropes through slings.

I think I will add D rings on the panel pulls, since there is a chance I will be removing them and adding them, depending on conditions. I plan on fixing the guylines to the corner pulls with a girth hitch; there's little to no chance for friction and therefore wear in that scenario.

Thanks for the idea!

Hammock
    Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    Quote Originally Posted by MtMarcy View Post
    Silnylon is a great idea! Stitched properly, it should be stronger than grosgrain, and probably just as strong as webbing. It has the added benefit that I don't need to purchase additional materials, and instead can make use of scraps (which always seem to accumulate during a sewing project).
    I don't know how large your scrap box is, but coated fabrics are generally not as strong as uncoated, weight for weight -perhaps something to consider if you are using fabric for tie-out loops.
    Nothing wrong with looking at different forums, but I found that the BPL crowd focus entirely too much on weight vs dependability and usability issues. 'Cult-like devotion' springs to mind, but I won't say anything like that...

Quote Originally Posted by MtMarcy View Post
    Thanks for the welcome! I live Upstate but I'm not in the Adirondacks. Would totally move if I had the chance - but too few jobs in the region. ( I make do with weekend hiking and backpacking trips whenever I can. Have you visited the Dacks before?
    I spent quite a bit of time in the Daks when I lived in S. Ontario- mostly in winter. They were the closest mountains!
    Lotsa epic drives on Sunday evenings....

• + New Posts