Hammock
    SLD Streamliner in 1.9 Multicam
    Tarp
    Camo SF
    Insulation
    JRB MW4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Hey Edmonton Hangers. Snide here just wanting to get the ball rolling for a late winter, early spring group hang. I am thinking about Sandhills PLUZ, it is a wicked place to hang, and in March/April should be fairly bug free. MM53BAR and I went last year in the summer and the mosquitoes were horrendous, but overall a great time. We found a perfect place to hang as well.
    It is about an hour hike to the Overlook from the parking lot, there is a picnic table up there and water is available in the creek below. As for hanging, a nice spruce grove with mossy floor and widely spaced trees is the perfect place.
    Suggestions? Let's make this thing happen this year.
    Last edited by snidetripod; 01-28-2015 at 16:20.
    Check out my youtube channel. Vids about hammock camping, geocaching and outdoor fun.
    Adventures With Snide Tripod

Hammock
    dd jungle modular hammock
    Tarp
    included
    Insulation
    n/a (workin on it)
    Suspension
    tree huggers (atm)
    hey all edmontonians!
    I live in St. Paul, bout 2-2.5hrs east of ya. just off the ole iron horse trail.

first just to chime in on the trail, its not realy a trail for hiking. its pretty much the equivelent of walking down a dirt road. its great for bikes, atvs, horses n snowmobiles etc.
    Im very familiar with the sections from elk point, to ashmont, to bonnyville.

what I do know best is around moose lake, the west end. its all crown land, which = free camping.

lots of bush, and lots of atv/bike trails to ride, altho I've rode them to death.

its also my pretty much goto campin spot. (usualy with backpack n hammock etc on the dualsport bike.)
    typicaly spend most of our summers out there, (the ole lady and kids stay in the inlaws giant camper with the quads etc right in the gravel/sand pits. I usualy dissapear into the bush a ways away lol)

I have the land use maps for st paul and bonnyville areas. loads of crown land, 100s of places to explore and camp.

long storey short, if anyone is interested in travelling out this way to hang, I'm out here!

now on a side note, i'd be interested in gettin together for a hang, depending on the day/night/work etc etc.

I kinda know miquelon lake, or at least where its at etc, lived in camrose for awhile, grew up an hour east of camrose.

I would need to wait for a bit warmer weather for myself tho, i dont deal with being cold well, and so far dont have anything in the way of cold weather gear/UQ etc etc

snidetripod.. is that sandhill FLUZ (forestry land use zone?) or PLUZ? lol

i only have a vague idea on the fluz areas from internet searching etc. would have to do some extra planning to go that far since I belive most of the fluz areas are along the edges of the mountains?

~L~
    IMG068.jpg

*edit* photo is a 3d photo... sorry.. lol need to cut it in half i guess?? *end edit*

if you're curious about the terrain and area around moose lake, this will give you an idea. (right at the pits, an area common to see people out on thier toys etc. i tend to camp aways from here, and its always been quiet and peacefull. (the second pit there is where all the local teenie-bobbers go to party it up in the warmer days, so another reason to go to the other side kinda thing. this here is actualy on a small peninsula, right close to an actual campground.(they do have group sites for 60$ a night, but the only added benefit is a picknic table, fire pit, and outhouse. trails go right in and outta the site as well.. lol))

http://youtu.be/xEwLEVTW1AA

I typicaly camp close to the lake in the deeper bush away from view of the trails, or near the river across the road

if you poke around the vids, theres some footage of the iron horse as well, but you cant see much as im going flat out and rattled all to heck tryinig to beat the vehicles back to town.. lol (which I did by about 4mins lol)

Hammock
    Tarp
    Camo SF
    Insulation
    JRB MW4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Where east of Camrose did you grow up? I spent a year or so in Killam living with my buddy.
    Lots of crown land you say, I may have to get a hold of you and plan a weekend trip up there.
    Yes, the Fluz (forestry land use zone) areas are along the forestry trunk road around Hinton and down through Nordegg into areas west of Calgary. The Sandhills Pluz (public land use zone) is north of Edmonton, east of Fort Assiniboine and north of Barhead. Its pretty quiet up there, and the ferry ride across the Atha B is neat. Either way, Fluz and Pluz are all crown land. I just looked up Moose Lake in Google maps and it says there is a Provincial Park up there. Which end of the lake is the crown land? A little further north is the Lakeland Provincial Recreation Area. I wonder if you can camp in there, a lot of the rec. areas around here don't allow overnighting.
    How would I go about securing some of those land use maps you are talking about?
    Last edited by snidetripod; 02-02-2015 at 12:29.
    Check out my youtube channel. Vids about hammock camping, geocaching and outdoor fun.

Hammock
    Tarp
    included
    Insulation
    n/a (workin on it)
    Suspension
    tree huggers (atm)
    I grew up in lougheed, went to highschool in sedgewick. I`ve lived most ofmy life in Lougheed, sedgewick, and killam. (My oldest boy lives in kilam with his mom, my dad in sedgewick. Im related to half of hardisty, family farm was south east of killam.

Funny thing is, I`m also on the alberta dualsport forum, and they`re plannin a ride n camp tripabout an hour the other side of hardisty... same sorta post.. lol specialy when they mentioned a backroad ride to hardisty.. lol

My cuzin has a lake lot close to barthead, bout 20 mins outta barhead. A relative of mine holds a yearly family gathering at his farm, right in that area aswell the last few years, altho I havent made it out to one yet.

As for the land maps,Ill see if I can find the links, if not I have em d-loaded to my phone. they`re layered pdf files,the bonnyville area one isnt too bad, but the st paul county one kinda sucks cuz theres so much info makes it slow to load... I been meaning to try a program to trim down all the data.. all I realy need are the roads and the crown land layers lol

*edit*

there is a provincial park as well as a couple other camp grounds, a church camp, and otherstuff.. lol... moose lake is like 20+ km long

Hammock
    Switchback, DD frontline, or speer
    Tarp
    tttghex DD 3 x 3
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, DD, bags
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling, web
    Images
    Depending on the time and how it fits with my work sched, I would be game for a trip. Snide and I had a great time the one time we went out. Looking forward to doing that again.
    Wherever you are.....there you are

Hammock
    Tarp
    included
    Insulation
    n/a (workin on it)
    Suspension
    tree huggers (atm)
    EUREEKA! I FOUND EM BY GOD!

okay heres the link to the bonnyville one..

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&...,d.cGU&cad=rja

basically its the area between the lake and the river on the west end of moose lake is where I typically go. once i get my class 6 (shoud be this spring, got the written test part done, lol) I`ll deffinately be doin some more explorin to the north!

Also havent camped, but rode in the area just north of the provincial park at mooselake.popular sand pits and marked trails etc for snowmobiles n atvs etc (just dont go into the gravel pit.. with the crusher etc.. that guy will chase you down, write down your plate numbers etc... hehe honest mistake, we left on good terms tho in the end lol)

and heres the st paul one...

http://s3.amazonaws.com/townlife_pro...Map_-_2012.pdf

I remember finding a year or two ago, an online version for the whole province. been trying to find that one again forever.. (Discoverd it whilst researchin the FLUZ areas..lol nice thing was you coud turn on n off the layers. but the best part was, you could see whos leasing the land and the terms. due to the proccess of leasingcrown land, 90% of them only require you to give 1-2 days notice you`ll be out there. its not asking permission tho. some have stipulations on land access, despite it being crown land.

You can pretty much search google `` *County name* ownership map`` and find n pull up these maps... (altho dont qoute me on that lol!)

also,do you have any links pertaining to the PLUZ areas.. (Also, maybe I shouda put all this in a new thread... O.o)

sorry if this is somewhat offtopic, but suppose its relevent.. hehe

L

Hammock
    Tarp
    Camo SF
    Insulation
    JRB MW4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    "Lo heed the man who dates my daughters. ". My buddy and I used to say this when we would go out to the trout pond there. I knew a couple of girls out there, they were probably not even born when you lived in Lougheed.
    I worked with a guy named Terry doing concrete, and then at the Killam Crossing as a cook in the diner. Had a lot of fun out there, cruzing the back roads (Roller Coaster Road), and exploring old broken houses.
    Old N Slow, your still around? I haven't heard from you in a while, thought maybe you had moved away.
    Maybe I will do some research of the St. Paul - Bonneville area crown lands when I get those maps. We can chatter back and forth for the next couple of months and set something up. February is supposed to be bitterly cold, with some relief coming in mid March, around my birthday. I am always down for exploring new places and seeing new things.
    There are a few of us around here now, so it should make for a great hang, hopefully a few days long.
    Here is the link to Alberta PLUZ page. They are all on here:
    http://esrd.alberta.ca/recreation-pu...land-use-zones
    Last edited by snidetripod; 02-02-2015 at 14:39.

Hammock
    Tarp
    included
    Insulation
    n/a (workin on it)
    Suspension
    tree huggers (atm)
    Bahaha! Terry Pheonix.. he dated n lived with my aunt for a few years.. I worked with him for a couple months when I first moved back after tryin the city life for awhile.. lol

Maybe we worked together.. haha..

I know ALOT of the girls around there.. hehe

Hammock
    Tarp
    Camo SF
    Insulation
    JRB MW4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I worked for Terry about seven to eight years ago. My buddy Neil, and there was another guy named Rod.
    The girls were the Butcher girls.

Hammock
    Switchback, DD frontline, or speer
    Tarp
    tttghex DD 3 x 3
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, DD, bags
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling, web
    Images
    Wife had major surgery, so out of commission for the summer and fall. Ready for camping again this spring and summer!
    Wherever you are.....there you are

• + New Posts
  • Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast