Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Singer "stitch sew quick" worth it?

So I came across this a while ago and it just popped into my head. What are y'all's thoughts on it? I know it has mixed reviews online but a lot of people say if you follow the instructions and use it for lightweight material it works great. I was looking at using it for a DIY bug net. I do not have a thread injector or want to spend the money to buy one right now so this seemed like a viable option.

Hammock
    Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    Quote Originally Posted by Kpi890 View Post
    I do not have a thread injector or want to spend the money to buy one right now so this seemed like a viable option.
    Well, if you aren't going to have to buy that 'stitch sew quick', then you don't have much to lose.
    But if you have to pay anything for it, I think you are just throwing money down the drain. Better to hand sew,IMO..

OTOH, you could easily find a 'real' sewing machine on Craigslist Louisville for under $50 - I saw a few in only a minute or two of searching.
    Even one of those $60 machines from Walmart would be better than the SSQ...

Hammock
    hennesy ultra light
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    incubator
    Suspension
    straps
    I actually had one. It did not work well.
    As a wise man once said "If woman don't find you handsome at least they'll find you handy." Hang in there.

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx/Diy TQ
    Suspension
    MSH/Straps
    I agree with VictoriaGuy. Check craigslist. I bought a nice old Singer with a cabinet for $50. You can probably find a decent machine for less than that if you look long enough. There are lots of people looking to get rid of old machines they don't want. As for the stitch sew quick, I wouldn't waste my money on it.

Thanks guys an old sewing machine it is then! I didn't even consider Craigslist for one.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Those handheld unitsare usually chain stitch machines which means the stitch will pull out with the flick of a finger. IMO they may have their place but that will usually be in the drawer of mis-bought gadgets. If you are looking at old machines on Craigslist check my "Guidelines" thread in my sig. Others say they have found it helpful.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    Those handheld unitsare usually chain stitch machines which means the stitch will pull out with the flick of a finger. IMO they may have their place but that will usually be in the drawer of mis-bought gadgets. If you are looking at old machines on Craigslist check my "Guidelines" thread in my sig. Others say they have found it helpful.
    Ok thanks! I'm looking to spend no more than $40 and there are a few on Craigslist for that but some of them are ancient and not sure so I'll check into it.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    Rev;

What are your thoughts on using something like this to "tack weld" preparatory to sewing long seams in the place of pins?

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Pins are cheap and foolproof. But, that said, whatever floats your boat. I wouldn't bother but that's me.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    Quote Originally Posted by Kpi890 View Post
    Ok thanks! I'm looking to spend no more than $40 and there are a few on Craigslist for that but some of them are ancient and not sure so I'll check into it.
    Good luck in your search.
    You'll get lots of different opinions here, but my preference would be to look for a 1950s or 1960s machine - a 'not black' Singer or a Singer clone from Japan. Some of the Kenwoods from that era are reputed to be good machines as well.
    It depends on how quickly you want to get a machine, and the area you are in as well. Here (Victoria BC) older black Singers and treadle machines have v. high asking prices, while other decent machines can be had cheaply if you are patient and are handy with solvent and oil. I have a few machines -Pfaff/Elna/Husqvarna and yesterday a Bernina and haven't paid much for any of them, except for the $100 Pfaff 1223E (with a vertical lift cabinet): $50 for the Bernina and $20 for each of the others.

Go to it! Lots of advice here...you can probably get feedback on likely candidates if you start a new discussion ("Which of these sewing machines should I consider?) with links to local ads....

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast