Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    A person could spend a month is southern Utah and not get tired. There is so much to see and a lot of variety. Your problem will be your lack of time, not lack of things to see. Around the I-70 there are plenty of places to hang a hammock (if I remember right) its when you creep further down toward Az that the trees disappear, and the air gets hot

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Cannibal, In Green River there is a nice KOA campground that has lot of trees and good car camping facilities. don't know about hanging there but might be worth a call. The truck stop in downtown GR has pretty good chow. Bit off 70, Moab and the campgrounds along the Colorado are great. It is about another hour past GR to Moab but it is a neat little town. This time of year plan for HOT weather camping in this area. Also you may want to go a bit further out of the way to camp in the La Sal's. If you do consider heading that way give me a shout there are a few things that can't be missed.

Paul

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadtorque View Post
    Oh snap, I cant believe I missed it. You are getting a new jeep and will be driving past Moab on your way home? If off-roading is at all a passion for you this will be heaven on earth
    Quote Originally Posted by pgibson View Post
    Cannibal, In Green River there is a nice KOA campground that has lot of trees and good car camping facilities. don't know about hanging there but might be worth a call. The truck stop in downtown GR has pretty good chow. Bit off 70, Moab and the campgrounds along the Colorado are great. It is about another hour past GR to Moab but it is a neat little town. This time of year plan for HOT weather camping in this area. Also you may want to go a bit further out of the way to camp in the La Sal's. If you do consider heading that way give me a shout there are a few things that can't be missed.

Paul
    OK, Moab is in the lead right now. Satellite images show what look to be lots of trees and I've never been to Moab. Any particular sites? I'd rather not stay in a KOA and listen to the hum of R/V air conditioners. A nice little site by a river/creek would be fantastic.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    I thought the camp sites at "Big Bend Campground" were nice. Fair number of trees and some sites were a bit more separated from the others. look on Google Earth at Lat - 38° 38.959'N Long -109° 28.876'W

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Cool!

Big Bend Campground (makes me think I'm back in Texas) is a BLM campground. That's good news as the BLM does not restrict hammock camping. I just called to verify and was given a .
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    cool, from the main site there are 3-4 sites just up river that had their own pull out that were 1. nicer, 2. more secluded, 3. had their own "bathroom", 4. had fewer other people then the main area. There were several other small campgrounds along the river in each direction up and down the Colorado. Lots of places to camp. Also just up river after turning up stream there is a spring that comes out of the cliff wall that has clean cold great tasting water. And you have to stop and check out the CO-OP in Moab. Very Hippy but a cool spot to check out, and a great selection of hot sauces. yum..Drool...mmmmm... PM me if you want any specifics.

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL 1.1 Marpat camo
    Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 or HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Green river state rec area

http://www.utah.com/stateparks/green_river.htm

Right off I-70. I've driven by it, but not camped there. 40 tent camping sites, lots of trees. Trees will be your biggest challenge, mostly found along rivers like at this rec area.

So much to do around Moab...I've vacationed many times there. Arches NP is my #1.

--Kurt

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    OK that may be the campground I was thinking about. Stayed there twice, once when my fam took a vacation when I was 12, and then again on my trip to Moab to climb years ago. We pulled in at 3 am for a bit of sleep before heading on to Moab at sun up so sorry if I mixed up that and the KOA.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    OK, Moab is in the lead right now. Satellite images show what look to be lots of trees and I've never been to Moab. Any particular sites? I'd rather not stay in a KOA and listen to the hum of R/V air conditioners. A nice little site by a river/creek would be fantastic.
    Moab proper will be pretty treeless if I remember correctly, and so will most of Canyonlands, unless there is something hidden up high. The Mountains nearby, The La Sal, about 20 miles from Moab and the Henry mtns http://www.utah.com/playgrounds/henry_mtns.htm will have plenty of trees and much beauty.

However, will you travel near Salt Lake City/Provo area? If so, the opportunities are endless. ( for hanging. Otherwise, most anywhere in the state - like Moab- is spectacular) The most obvious is to take highway 150 up to Mirror Lake area in the High Uintas http://www.byway.org/explore/byways/2007/travel.html . Camp at a camp ground near Mirror lake or head down a forest service road to a million other spots.

Or drive to the other side of Provo towards CO ( and towards Heber Utah) and enjoy the Mt. Timpanogas area, and maybe Wasatch Mountain State Park. http://www.utah.com/database/campgrounds/?id=492

Or closer to town(SLC), drive a short distance west of SLC into the Big or Little Cottonwood Canyons. ( Towards Brighton, Snowbird and Alta Ski resorts). These canyons are spectacular, and forested. There are a few campgrounds.
    http://www.outdoorsinutah.com/little...on-camping.htm
    http://www.forestcamping.com/dow/intermtn/wasinfo.htm
    http://www.utah.com/database/campgrounds/?id=3577
    Spruces Recreation Area
    Big Cottonwood Cyn-13.7 mi SE of SLC, Salt Lake City, UT
    801-466-6411

It is really pretty endless. Just pick a forest service or other campground above 6000 to 7000 feet and you should be good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Roadtorque View Post
    A lot of parks just of the I-70 Canyon lands, Arches, Capitol reef are all worth seeing. Green River is a nice place as well. Dont worry about Mormons, most of us are nice people
    I'll second that, the 19th Special Forces Group is about half Mormon, finest bunch of folks I ever worked with in 21 years in the military.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast