ENO DN
    Tarp
    ENO ProFly
    Insulation
    MSS and PLUQ
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps

My version of a DIY PLUQ

I've watched a ton of videos and read as many blogs/forums about how to make a DIY poncho liner underquilt but this is what I came up with. This is a no-sew version that is extremely flexible. The thing that I think is unique is how adjustable and easy to operate, attach and detach this one is. Not saying it's the best but it works great for me and I haven't seen one exactly like this.

ENO with DIY PLUQ.jpg

For the YouTube video, click here.

I'm really interested to here what you all think.

Hammock
    HH Expedition + ukhammocks Woodsman
    Tarp
    HH Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    CCF Mat
    Suspension
    HH Exp. stock
    A timely post as I am about to make my own version, thanks for posting.

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    Since it is not folded, have you done a temp rating test with it yet? My pluq is folded and sewn and only have a comfort rating of around 50 degrees. I am guessing that would be comfortable with no supplemental insulation other than clothing down to about 60.

I have used mine down to about 17 but I was inside a 0 degree synthetic bag, and was toasty. The compression (or lack there-of) of the synthetic bag added to the insulation value allowing my comfort at that temp. YMMV but enjoy your DIY gear. Regardless it still beats the pants off a pad IMO.
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it."- G. W. Sears

My forum name is Fish<><; I'm in the navy; and I hate sleeping on the ground. If I didn't need ground to walk on or measure resistance to, I think I could happily give it up.

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    ENO ProFly
    Insulation
    MSS and PLUQ
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish<>< View Post
    Since it is not folded, have you done a temp rating test with it yet? My pluq is folded and sewn and only have a comfort rating of around 50 degrees. I am guessing that would be comfortable with no supplemental insulation other than clothing down to about 60.

I have used mine down to about 17 but I was inside a 0 degree synthetic bag, and was toasty. The compression (or lack there-of) of the synthetic bag added to the insulation value allowing my comfort at that temp. YMMV but enjoy your DIY gear. Regardless it still beats the pants off a pad IMO.
    I have slept in temps down to 32 degrees. I used my MSS (military sleep system) as a top quilt and I was nice and toasty. In colder temps I plan on putting a down or wool blanket between my hammock and my UQ.

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    ENO ProFly
    Insulation
    MSS and PLUQ
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    A timely post as I am about to make my own version, thanks for posting.
    You're welcome! Good luck with yours. There's a lot of variations available, this one was just really easy to make and works well for me.

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    ENO ProFly
    Insulation
    MSS and PLUQ
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish<>< View Post

By the way, I made one that was folded in half like you mentioned but found it to be too short and wouldn't stay in place very well. This one doesn't move and gives me great coverage.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly/Edge
    Insulation
    Yeti/Burrow/Woobie
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    When you say as a top quilt, you mean you don't get inside of it like a sleeping bag right? So your only form of botton insulation is one layer of woobie at 32 degrees? If so, man you are a fiery sleeper!

Banned
    Hammock
    Cotton Amazonian, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Kelty, WB Superfly
    Insulation
    uq or pad
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SgtSquarepants View Post
    I've watched a ton of videos and read as many blogs/forums about how to make a DIY poncho liner underquilt but this is what I came up with. This is a no-sew version that is extremely flexible. The thing that I think is unique is how adjustable and easy to operate, attach and detach this one is. Not saying it's the best but it works great for me and I haven't seen one exactly like this.

ENO with DIY PLUQ.jpg

For the YouTube video, click here.

I'm really interested to here what you all think.
    I think you have a great system for your needs. Easy to adjust and modify. Some folks may not be familiar with "MSS" they come in different temperature ranges. Another smaller lighter weight option to consider if you do long distance backpacking is to pin a down blanket between "PLUG" and hammock and use a lightweight TQ or modified down sleep bag like those cheap ones from Walmart on sale for $30 if you get lucky and find one on clearance. Just a suggestion. 30° or 0° M S S work better just more bulk and weight if that is an issue. I paddle a bigger canoe or take a pack mule in the winter, joking a bit there. LOL

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    ENO ProFly
    Insulation
    MSS and PLUQ
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by loghangin View Post
    When you say as a top quilt, you mean you don't get inside of it like a sleeping bag right? So your only form of botton insulation is one layer of woobie at 32 degrees? If so, man you are a fiery sleeper!
    You are correct. However, I did have multiple layers of clothing on.

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    ENO ProFly
    Insulation
    MSS and PLUQ
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by ntxkayakr View Post
    I think you have a great system for your needs. Easy to adjust and modify. Some folks may not be familiar with "MSS" they come in different temperature ranges. Another smaller lighter weight option to consider if you do long distance backpacking is to pin a down blanket between "PLUG" and hammock and use a lightweight TQ or modified down sleep bag like those cheap ones from Walmart on sale for $30 if you get lucky and find one on clearance. Just a suggestion. 30° or 0° M S S work better just more bulk and weight if that is an issue. I paddle a bigger canoe or take a pack mule in the winter, joking a bit there. LOL
    All very good suggestions. Thank you!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast