Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

FL>Need place to stay Lake Okeechobee

Need advice on a nice place to stay right near Lake Okeechobee. Would like to overnight somewhere (car camp) at the waters edge. Just need to stay a night before I continue northward. Prefer something more primitive and not surrounded by RVs.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Sorry you haven't gotten any response yet. It's not because we're not friendly down here or there are no hangers in Florida. In my case I just don't know of anything around the Lake. Maybe some of our south Florida hangers may have more info. Good luck.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

No biggie. I live in south Florida and hang down here. Just looking to overnight on the lake on my way up. Looks beautiful from pictures

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images

FL>Need place to stay Lake Okeechobee

There's not much in the area that I know of. Next to the dike around Okeechobee City are a few RV parks but they are really only set up for RV's. Wet of the lake are Nicodemus Sough and Fish Eating Creek. These areas are wild with lots of big gators. To the east of the lake is Dupuis Reserve, but it's mostly wetland.
    Last edited by MAD777; 04-16-2014 at 11:49.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    There's not much in the area that I know of. Next to the dime around Okeechobee City are a few RV parks but they are really only set up for RV's. Wet of the lake are Nicodemus Sough and Fish Eating Creek. These areas are wild with lots of big gators. To the east of the lake is Dupuis Reserve, but it's mostly wetland.
    You'd think there would be more because the lake is so large and an attraction. I'm looking for something on the north end of the lake or on the east side. Most of the sites ive searched for and seen online seem like RV parks, mobile home parks.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Mostly the only attraction is fishing. And the hike is horrible because you are fully exposed, simply baking in the sun on a shell-rock road on top of a 35' tall, barren dike. Interesting for about 30 seconds until you realize that the view is going to be the same, all the way.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    I can't say for sure, but on the north of the lake, you would need to park somewhere in Okeechobee city or Taylor Creek and a short hike to the Florida Trail on the dike around the lake. There are palms you may be able to hang from, but, the areas may be closed at sunset. At least to cars in the parks/boat ramps.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    DreamHammock Darien
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 12
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hook
    Images
    There is a campsite on Lake Okeechobee, called Nubbin Slough Campsite. Don't know much about it, someone sent the name and coordinates to me, but no other details. Here are the coordinates:
    N27 11.790 W80 46.285. You can download a free program from Garmin called Basecamp, install it, and then download the unofficial Florida Trail GPS track with tons of waypoints at my homepage listed below.

Hammock
    WB RR, BB
    Tarp
    Cluodburst, MJ
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    D-rings and straps
    What about the Water Management areas east side of Kissimmee ditch at rt 98? They are not on the lake but we were there week or so ago and I saw plenty of parking and lots of trees. You will be 1/2 mile or so east of the water.

Hammock
    Switchback/DD Superlight
    Tarp
    BDD/DDH SL
    Insulation
    JRBShen/AHE/DDH UB
    Suspension
    Straps/DC-DDH susp
    R u still looking? I just bought a trailer in Zachary Taylor RV Resort and tested my new DD hammocks Superlight in between the cypress trees. (See that subforum) Or you could just stay in the trailer! It's a fifth wheel with screened in porch. PM me. If I'm not there (main house is in miami), A neighbor can give U the key.

www.flrvresort.com. Waterfront site on Taylor Creek. A few miles before town of Okeechobee.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast