Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Buckle on strap

Knot suggestion

This is for my son's Hennessy Scout... I've purchased some Kammock Python straps so that I can accommodate larger tree sizes and make quick and easy length adjustments.

My question is this:

What knot should I use to attach a carabiner to the main suspension lines? (the carabiner will be clipped into the various loops of the Python)

I'm leaning towards a figure eight.

Thoughts?

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 Ripstop Nylon Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Cat-Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    LineLocker/Whoopie
    Being a climber, this is the perfect question me. The figure eight is the way I'd go. It is simple and will not lock up. It is my go to knot. It it seems I just tie it out of habit.

Happy Hanging!
    See You In The Trees
    & Keep It Hanging

http://www.youtube.com/user/Laochri?feature=watch

Hammock
    UKhammocks Woodsman lite
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    UKH UQ, Cumulus TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch hooks
    Images
    Will you tie the knot once and never readjust it? Then I'd also go for the figure eight. As said before it locks up and can be hard to untie, especially in thinner diameter ropes. After a fall, I even find it hard to untie it from my climbing rope which is about 10mm in diameter.
    If you want a knot that's easier to untie go for a clove hitch. Once you take the biner out it actually unties itself.
    In between the would be the bowline on a bight. It's the most difficult to tie out of these three, but is easy to untie and stays on your rope when you detach the biner.

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    Kleimheist. Should do ya fine, plus you can use it for fine tuning adjustments if the python straps aren't cutting it for you. Just my .02
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it."- G. W. Sears

My forum name is Fish<><; I'm in the navy; and I hate sleeping on the ground. If I didn't need ground to walk on or measure resistance to, I think I could happily give it up.

Hammock
    Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    noah16/HH hex
    Insulation
    0 incubator/costco
    Suspension
    whoopies n straps
    I used to be a climber as well, and let me tell ya, if you use a figure 8 on the HH spectra cord, and then suspend from it, enjoy spending the rest of your day untying that thing. On climbing rope, a figure 8 works well, but spectra is too thin and that knot will lock up pretty darn tight. I know because I have done it once, and that was enough to never tie that knot again with the included spectra. The above knots will work well. Hennessy also recommends a knot followed by a slippery hitch that works well enough. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXk26e4kt4U However, the best move, IMOH, is to get 4 aluminum rings, two on each side, and rig it that way. Finish it off with two slippery hitches at the end. The reason I like this is because the line becomes more adjustable this way. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVnR29ETQEs It's more like whoopies, where as the system can be dialed in after putting some weight in the hammock or whatever. Having to tie and retie knots can become a bit of a pain, IMO.
    HYOH, and YMMV. Good luck and happy hanging!
    “All grown-ups were once children... but only few of them remember it.”

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Clove hitch with a half hitch keeper attached to the carabiner. The larger diameter of the biner body helps with the knotted strength of the cord and you will be able to untie or adjust it later. It also leaves you enough tail to replace the biner with a rap ring and whoopee or tie in a buckle for straps later if wanted. That way he also does not lose the biners. ;-)
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    TTTM Double
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    I like the figure eight. I'm aslo a fan of the bowline.

Just get whoopee slings and forget the problems.
    If you prepare for failure you will probably succeed.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Buckle on strap
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish<>< View Post
    Kleimheist. Should do ya fine, plus you can use it for fine tuning adjustments if the python straps aren't cutting it for you. Just my .02
    I had not considered using an sliding hitch running on the "main line."

That would certainly give the setup more adjustability if the various Python loops can't get it exactly where it needs to be.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Buckle on strap
    Quote Originally Posted by pinballwizard View Post
    I used to be a climber as well, and let me tell ya, if you use a figure 8 on the HH spectra cord, and then suspend from it, enjoy spending the rest of your day untying that thing. On climbing rope, a figure 8 works well, but spectra is too thin and that knot will lock up pretty darn tight. I know because I have done it once, and that was enough to never tie that knot again with the included spectra.
    My thought is that I'd never really have to retie "in the field" since most adjustments could be done by choosing a new Python loop. But we all know that never comes to pass more often than one would expect.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast