Warbonnett XLC
    Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Pics of my Brazilian hammock

Hi folks. I went outside to play around a little with a hammock I got around 1994 in Manaus, Brazil. I'm not sure if there is a specific term "Brazilian hammock," and if this matches that description, but since that's where I bought it . . . that's what I'm calling it.

Anyway, I used this to sleep in the jungle along the Amazon and Rio Negro for about 2 months during the summer.

Thoughts on this set-up:

1) When I'm laying in it, I'm about 3 inches off the ground. Conclusion: This hammock stand isn't ideal for this hammock.
    2) Because of the design or the way I set it up this time, it is a bit constricting around the shoulders.
    3) It seems to be made entirely out of cotton. Nice and soft, but heavy. Conclusion: I wouldn't want to carry this on my back, but in a canoe is fine. Won't dry quickly though.
    4) This stand is 14' 6" long hook-to-hook. The body of the hammock is 102" long and 57" wide. The straps are 26" at each end.
    5) I think I'd like to try hanging this from points further apart, play with a structural ridgeline and see if I can get it more comfortable.
    6) It was uncomfortable to try to stretch out or sleep at an angle across the center line. The backs of my knees were not supported, and laying on my side wasn't too comfortable.

I've tried to include pictures. It's my first time, so . . . I did read Fronkey's instructions though. Any mistakes are my fault though, not his!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Banned
    Hammock
    Cotton Amazonian, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Kelty, WB Superfly
    Insulation
    uq or pad
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Great looking hammock! I lived in Manaus for about 8 years and would sleep in a hammock like that every night if my wife would allow it.
    If you want to get more than 3" off those white sand beaches of MI (snow?) then a quick solution may be to tie the ends in large knots to reduce the overall length. This will reduce the width a bit as well but works if you don't have trees or whatever far enough apart.

Banned
    Hammock
    Cotton Amazonian, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Kelty, WB Superfly
    Insulation
    uq or pad
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Mustache View Post
    5) I think I'd like to try hanging this from points further apart, play with a structural ridgeline and see if I can get it more comfortable.
    6) It was uncomfortable to try to stretch out or sleep at an angle across the center line. The backs of my knees were not supported, and laying on my side wasn't too comfortable.
    This Brazilian or Latin American style of hammock is most comfortable if hung with much steeper angles which may not be directly possible with that hammock stand. There have been several HF discussions about this, you could try a Google site:hammockforums.net Brazilian search.
    I have never heard of using a structural ridge line with this style of hammock, but it might help just don't try it in an indigenous village or the Shaman may curse you for offending the spirits. LOL.
    Sleeping comfortably in a hammock is a learned skill, I recommend another trip to the Amazon Rain forest but if not then read some more threads here at HF and try out people's ideas such as tripod or turtle-dog stand or best of all anchors/hooks on walls of your house, bedroom or basement.
    Sorry ran out of time again must go, bye.

Hammock
    Sheltowee Boone 20*
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG TQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    I have the same stand, and a similar hammock... the hammock just doesn't work with these stands, you will need a stand that stands higher, such as https://www.byerofmaine.com/the-vari...cok-stand.html

I sleep on a Brazilian hammock full-time, I have it hung on the studs on my walls. It is very very very comfortable, I fall asleep in less than 5 min, and I have no issues being on my side, or my back. My advice is hang that hammock between some trees, the stand doesn't give it justice.

I absolutely love my Brazilian hammock, and am never going back to a bed.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    DIY HEX
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I was scared to open this but my curiosity required me to see what a "brazillian hammock" was.

• + New Posts