Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Eno Double
    Insulation
    Coleman Pad
    Suspension
    ENO Slap Straps

Cool Newbie in Atlanta

I'm a total newbie when it comes to Hammock camping. I have camped many times in my life, mostly car camping with a tent and inflatable air mattress. I recently acquired an ENO Double Nest from a friend and I'm dying to try it out. I've hung it several times in my yard and love the feel of it. I used slap straps as an attachment so far. I frequent Goodwill, constantly looking for camping accessories to bring along. I just bought a Coleman self inflating air mattress with inflatable pillow attached. I have yet to even lay on the thing but I hope that it works for me. I don't expect anything too grand for the price of $7 (USED). I don't have a tarp as of yet, nor do I have an underquilt. Any suggestions for a cheaper way to go than the REI route? Anyone used any DIY setups? How important will the underquilt be in the GA spring-fall? I don't expect any camping in temps lower than 40.

I'm thinking of a camping trip this weekend to try out my gear. Are there any 1 night places that anyone knows of? Thanks for all the tips in advance.

Hammock
    Eno, until I DIY
    Tarp
    Eno, until I DIY
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Hello from Cleveland, Ga! I do not use an underquilt myself, since I do most of my camping spring to fall. I have one of those closed cell foam pads from Walmart that I put under my sleeping bag, and I usually wear sweat-clothes at first and remove if I get too warm. That seems to do the trick for me. If you're not going to be hiking very far, you could always solve your tarp problem with just a basic tarp from the hardware store suspended on a ridgeline above your hammock. As to your question about local campsites, I'm not really familiar with camping in Atlanta, and I do most of my camping up near Helen or Dahlonega. Hope this helps!

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    Welcome from another Clevelander. Like has already been said, you can get a blue pad from Walmart and a blue poly tarp if you wanna go the absolute cheapest route. Or you can get a Gear Guide tarp or a Kelty Noah tarp for not too much money. I do recommend ditching the Slap Straps since they're nylon and will stretch, get polyester or polypro straps.

For somewhere to camp your best bet is to head up this way. There are places galore around here.
    "As a well spent day brings happy sleep, a well spent life brings happy death." -Da Vinci

Hammock
    DIY, Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH
    Welcome to the forums from SC.
    Keep movin', keep believing and enjoy the journey!

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    WB Line Strap
    Welcome fm WV
    "Nothing could be more irrational than to give the people power and to withhold from them information, without which power is abused. A people who mean to be their own governors must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it is but a prologue to a farce or tragedy, or perhaps both." - James Madison

Hammock
    Clark DLX, ENO SN, BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    OxPalace,Big Squid
    Insulation
    Oxgear, KAQ, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Welcome to HF from Athens.
    Everyone ought to believe in something....I believe I'll go set up the hammock!

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer
    Tarp
    Equinox 8x10
    Insulation
    Pad n Bag
    Suspension
    Straps, Biners
    Welcome from yet another clevelander!

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Jarbidge, EE Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie hooks
    Welcome from Atlanta as well! I'm also a newbie (haven't camped 'for real' yet), and I picked up a DoubleNest with my REI 20% off coupon. We'll have to compare notes as we go -- I'm heading to Fort Mountain State Park next weekend for my first hammock camping so I'll let you know how that goes.

Hammock
    Tablecloth w/ fronkey net
    Tarp
    Toxaway
    Insulation
    TUCKuilt, pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    Welcome from someone who was raised in Conyers.

I started out hammock camping as cheap as anyone could. Grand Trunk Ultra Light was my first hammock and my current one is a DIY tablecloth with a easy foot box mod (check out my DIY thread). My first tarp was made with two $2 clear shower curtains from Walmart and duct tape. My bugnet was made with two $4 window shades from Walmart (check out CrypticCricket on YouTube).

Anyway, there a a lot good and helpful people as well as info here at HF. Don't hesitate to ask for ideas and help.

-Tuck

Hammock
    Tablecloth w/ fronkey net
    Tarp
    Toxaway
    Insulation
    TUCKuilt, pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    Welcome from someone who was raised in Conyers.

I started out hammock camping as cheap as anyone could. Grand Trunk Ultra Light was my first hammock and my current one is a DIY tablecloth with a easy foot box mod (check out my DIY thread). My first tarp was made with two $2 clear shower curtains from Walmart and duct tape. My bugnet was made with two $4 window shades from Walmart (check out CrypticCricket on YouTube).

Anyway, there are a lot good and helpful people as well as info here at HF. Don't hesitate to ask for ideas and help.

-Tuck

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast