Byer traveller hammock surgery?

i am new to hammock camping and i just have a byer amazonas traveller hammock. i dont have the money for some of the better stuff. anyways, i use the hammock and then hang a bug net around it and hang a tarp for my own homemade shelter system. i'm wanting to improve my situation and have a few questions. everytime i go out i have such a hassle of the ropes at the end of the hammock getting all twisted up and it takes me ten minutes just to untangle them. can i take the ropes out and use a single thicker rope or heavy duty nylon straps for supports? i'm also planning on sewing the bug net onto the hammock so i dont have to pack them separately, are there any suggestions on how best to do this? and 1 more question. what size tarp is best? the 5 times i've been out it hasn't rained so i haven't had to worry about it, i only have a 9 x 7 tarp and am wondering if that is large enough. thanks for the help!
    I need to get out of the house more

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Here's a good thread from Whiteblaze:
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...t=byer+hammock

This tarp is hard to beat for the money. Also known as the "Neo" tarp.
    I have the 9x9 version. The 12x12 is massive:
    www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=97247
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    i herd others talk about problems w/ the ropes on that hammock. if you go to wal-mart you should be able to find suitable nylon fabric to make your own hammock for $1.00 per yard. you would only need 3 & 1/2 to 4 yards.
    here's a link telling about making a test hammock. http://www.imrisk.com/testhammock/testhammock.htm
    if you just hem (or have someone else do it) all 4 sides of the length of fabric, you will have your new, favorite hammock. ..tim
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

I agree with Slowhike. Making a new hammock can be so cheap, no need to mutilate your Byer. Buy a four descending rings about 10 feet of Spyderline and some webbing and you can have a Hennessy clone in one Saturday afternoon.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Why couldn't you just cut off the ropes and whip the hammock just like you would on a DIY version?
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

the hammock is only 84 inches long, which is plenty long enough with the ropes addinga couple of feet but if i whip it it will be too short. i think i'm going to try to make my own hammock, thanks for everyones help.
    I need to get out of the house more

Hammock
    HH Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    homemade
    Insulation
    GG ThinLight
    Suspension
    rings and webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    Why couldn't you just cut off the ropes and whip the hammock just like you would on a DIY version?
    it wouldn't be long enough if whipped. the ropes structurally replace the first 2-3 feet of material on the byers, providing the spread of the material. i have the mosquito byer and when hanging comfy have about 8 inches of material on either end (i am 6' flat).

Hammock
    HH Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    homemade
    Insulation
    GG ThinLight
    Suspension
    rings and webbing
    Images
    forgot to address your original question bear - i have used the byer myself for a while (upgraded to a HH recently). the byer is easier and smaller, so for park-type setups to just chill i will bring that one out, but for sleeping, forget it, the HH wins evreytime.
    To prevent the ropes from getting into a royal mumbojumbo packing and unpacking i simply hold the two end loops together, straighten out all the lines, letting the hammock hang on the ground, and wrap all of the cords around my hand (starting at the hammock body) and tie off with my ridgeline. stuff in the bag first (the mass of strings fits nicely along the bottom seam) and then proceed to stuff the hammock body on top. sounds kind of stupid but i have never had a problem before. i'll take some pics once i have figured out how to post them.
    another easy solution would be to make some real cheesy snake skins out of some cheap fabric or even ladies nylons. the problem of having the end loop pass between the lines causing tangling would be solved. just attach the end of SS to the base of the loop where the lines spread out, pull down, pack (doesn't even have to cover the hammock body).
    good luck,
    check out my gallery for pics of the aforementioned, they are under tips and tricks in the gallery section.
    hope this helps!
    Last edited by Dingus Khan; 04-05-2007 at 09:55. Reason: added pics to gallery

Images
    what i do with a hammock( non HH) to roll it up for packing is
    i untie one end...begin twisting the hammock in a clockwise direction..
    allow the hammock to twist into a rope of sorts...keep enough tension so that the matterial dosent bunch up....when the twist has reached the far end..and the hammock sort of looks like a thick twisted rope.. hold the end in your left hand ..use your right hand to fold the hammock in two( in the middle) dont let it twist yet..it will want to..untie the far end ..now hold both ends in the same hand and hold the hammock up ( keep the ropes out of the way)and let the twisted middle twist on its own..this will wind together..now bundle this up and wind the ropes around it nice and tight,,makes for a very tight bundle that packs really well.....i think if you made your bug net ridge line detachable..it would be easy to lay the net down on the body of the hammock roll it up as i have said above..

tangled Byer ropes

"the ropes at the end of the hammock getting all twisted up and it takes me ten minutes just to untangle them"

I take the two ends of my Byer Traveler, hold them together around the middle of the lines and tie a big, loose knot, (tying both sides together), then stuff it all into the sack.

-Nancy

• + New Posts