Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sap Straps

Hammock
    Hennessy Safari, Eno Doublenest
    Insulation
    Homemade Undrquilt

Sap Straps

Let me preface this with, I don't know if this belongs in general hammock talk or do it yourself.

Last time I went out camping, we ended up passing on a couple of spots that to me really looked like great places to camp. The issue was sap on the trees. I mean on a couple, it was like a river flowing down the tree. Neither my daughter or I wanted to deal with sticky, possibly ruined straps.

I had an idea that I could make just a couple of sheets of ripstop or just plain old nylon maybe about 6"x40" or even up to 60", and use those to wrap around the tree, and then wrap your straps around those. That would keep the sap on the one side of the nylon, and keep it off our straps. It would have made the first spot viable in my opinion. My other thought was maybe to sew in a loop or two to make sure the straps don't slide down on the nylon. I also thought that their own bag would be a nice addition, or maybe even sew them so they fold up into themselves and you have a cord to cinch them up. It wouldn't make sense to store them with the hammock and straps if they have one side with sap on it.

My thinking is that these are expendable, and things like rips or tears are tolerated to an extent, then when they seem to be used up, just toss them. I would much rather have these shredded than sap on my straps.

Thoughts?

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I don't know. Sticky, dirty, worn-out straps are like a badge of honor.

It would probably work, but if a tree is leaking that much sap from the trunk, it's probably leaking elsewhere also. Getting sap on my webbing is a much better option than getting my tarp or hammock covered with it. Lots and lots of pine trees out here, so I feel your pain about the sap. However, my vote is to just move on to another set of trees anyway because of the likelihood of additional 'leaks'.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Big MJ
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, HR & MW4
    Images
    Why not wrap some fabric scraps around your straps before putting them on the tree or stitch (or fabric glue) a washable sleeve.

Tree sap won't hurt your straps and will wash off with alcohol (hand sanitizer) which won't hurt your straps.

Hammock
    DIY bridge, Pertex "Grackle"
    Tarp
    DIY 10x11
    Insulation
    DIY this-n-that
    Suspension
    Whoopie/M-spike
    Images
    It is an interesting idea, but I don't mind my sappy straps. The sap dries quickly, at least on our eastern pines.

Sappy Straps would be a great trail name.
    .. truly to enjoy bodily warmth, some small part of you must be cold, for there is no quality in this world that is not what it is merely by contrast. Nothing exists in itself. If you flatter yourself that you are all over comfortable, and have been so a long time, then you cannot be said to be comfortable any more. - Herman Melville

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    I've been hanging on burnt trees lately, ash and charcoal is nearly as much fun. It all washes off. If you don't want it all over stuff in the pack throw a plastic bag (like from the grocery store) to contain the mess. Plastic bags would probably also make good strap wraps if that's what you want.

Hammock
    Hennessy Safari, Eno Doublenest
    Insulation
    Homemade Undrquilt
    The trees I passed on had been trimmed by the forest service evidently, and the sap was leaking from a couple of the trimmed limbs.

sk8rs dad - That's pretty close to what I was suggesting. Sleeving the straps popped into my head, but I didn't want to edit.

I don't know, I have my new straps going right into the bag with the hammock, and I don't think I would be happy putting away my hammock only to pull it out next time covered with sap. I grep up around pine trees, and that sap is some kind of caustic. When it dried on your car, you could kiss that paint goodbye. I can't imagine it being very friendly to our hammock fabric.

Hammock
    Clark NX200
    Tarp
    Clark RX200
    Insulation
    in process
    Suspension
    Bone stock Clark
    I like the plastic bags idea, having been a large dog owner, I am still finding them tucked everywhere, collected and stockpiled the things really. When done being used for the "strap guard" they can either become the liter load out bag or go in the litter load out bag to be placed in the next nearest trash can.

Alternatively, paper grocery bags measure 40" when split down the sides to make a long piece. Bio degrade, mulch, burn . . .. sappy paper bag would probably make a pretty decent fire starter actually. Hmmm.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Keep in mind that I'm new to all this, but I've started with a "policy" of not putting my straps in the bag with the hammock. Using a double ended stuff sack, I leave the straps outside and wrap them around the sack. I haven't run into sappy trees yet but I'm glad you warned me about that possibility. From now on, I think I'll throw a plastic grocery bag in my backpack and put my wrapped up double ended stuff sack in it if it is disgustingly sappy, ashy, or whatever.

It always pays to read HammockForums

Senior Member ringtail-THFKAfood's Avatar
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

webbing is disposable

When I got my BlackBird the stock webbing went into storage in a plastic bag. If I ever want to sell the hammock the straps will be unused. 1" webbing cost about 25 cent a foot. A pair of 10' repacement straps cost about $5.

The straps are going to get sap on them and need to be replaced.

I carry my straps in my stake and guyline bag.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    - Mark Twain

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0
    Tarp
    Zpack's H. Tarp
    Insulation
    Summer Crowsnest
    Suspension
    ring buckles
    I agree that it is a good idea to store the webbing separate from the hammock. I don't want to put the straps next to my hammock even if they are simply wet. I use one of the tyvek mailers from the Post Office to hold the pieces of my suspension.
    "Every minute outside ... is a good minute!" -> Calvin & Hobbes, 8/1/1993

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast