Hammock
    GT Ultralight
    Tarp
    Housefly
    Insulation
    Marmot 15F/Pad
    Suspension
    Atlas

At what temperature does the UQ come into play?

So I did some cold weather hammocking this winter and I've seen everyone talking about their UQ. I slept in 20F and a slight breeze with my thermarest pad comfortably, was even hot by the time I got comfortable. I was able to sleep the entire night warm and cozy like that in my marmot trestles 15F without any CBS. With that being said I was just wondering at what temperature you would start needing to use an UQ.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Most folks will need some sort of insulation ( pad or UQ) once the temps drop below 70. Many factors involved... are you a warm or cold sleeper, is it windy, ect ect.

Comes down to what works for you.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Dutchware 11ft
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    I think that you can go pretty low with pads, especially if you stack a couple. Most people use underquilts for the packability, comfort and ease of use, not because they are warmer. Many have problems keeping centered on pads or have trouble since most pads are only 20 inches wide and most shoulders are not. Also, they can feel kind of stiff if you are used to laying right on the hammock. Underquilts come up higher on the shoulders. If you are warm and comfortable with your pad, stick with it.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    JRB univeral
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock 4
    Suspension
    Beetle buckles
    When your butt gets cold!
    Old Dominion Hangers
    KM4COF
    VA-4th Annual NOVA Hang-Nov 6-8 PWFP

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    When you wish/afford to extend the comfort of your kit.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    DIY CF Asym
    Insulation
    Zpacks HGincubator
    Suspension
    Webbing
    I think I heard 50F was the threshold for bottom insulation, and I can't imagine that ccfs will get you much below 10C, but I can't be sure. I know I tried to sleep out in -15C with a single CCF, and when I bailed and got inside my house, I realized that the only reason I was on the verge of sleep was that I was really close to hypothermia.

Try double layering CCFs.

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    As mentioned previously, it isn't a matter of when uq's become necessary for temp as pads can provide insulation as well. In fact, I use pads exclusively in winter. My UQ is for summer use only. I have used pads down to minus 20*F and was plenty warm.

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Hmm, in my thoughts an UQ is not needed if you have a good pad. Pads/UQ are both good forms of bottom insulation. I have used both and been comfortable with both. I do like to have an SPE ( check this thread for Shug's video on subject https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...d-Pad-Extender) so that my shoulders do not get cold when the temps are low.

As to when I (and this is a personal thing so you might be different) need some form of bottom insulation is pretty much any time I am camping. If it's warm I just vent my UQ to allow for air flow but I rarely go without something below me even if it's only my PLUQ (poncho liner under quilt) instead of my down.

Hammock
    Sheltowee Hammocks
    Tarp
    Big, Retangular
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    UQ's are just more comfortable and are breathable insulators; ie, yu'd have a hard time overheating with one (given the thickness or loft is somewhat appropriate for the season).

Pads just don't conform to the hammock and yur body as well as a Hammock + UQ combo does.

Most ppl need something below them when the temps dip below 70-75 degrees which is most places even in august! that something could be a pad, yur sleeping bag (granted it doesn't compress too much under yu) clothing, or a blanket, or many other things! but bare back in a hammock, it can be quite warm outside and yu still feel a chill. That's why 99% of ppl never leave without some sort of bottom insulation.
    -Alex

Sheltowee Hammocks Feature INTEGRATED UNDERQUILTS! Starting at $224

Step Out Of Your Sheltowee @ www.ShellHammocks.com

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Thunderbird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    kAQ New River, DIY
    Suspension
    Varies w/hammock
    I used to use a pad every trip and I ran into the following issues:
    1. no matter what time of year I'd wake up wet from sweat using a 3/8" GI issue pad.
    2. pad would shift out of place, buckle creating ridges, etc so not very comfy
    3. pad is too warm in summer, and it's either there or not...with a UQ you can at least adjust it to vent more or less, and you can even pull it off you for the first part of the night and pull it on early AM when it gets colder

Pads are more fool-proof in that CBS isn't as big an issue, more just lay it in and forget, and you can stack pads in the winter to extend to temp range you can handle.

I was in 50ish degree at night weather a few weeks ago and definitely needed something under me but would have been way too hot with a pad. I agree that 70* is about when you need to start using something under you. above 70 for the low and I'll transition to more of a suspended fleece blanket. so your question can be broke down into what kind of UQ are we talking about? what temps will you be in? Windy or calm? I was nice and warm til the wind kicked up and it found every gap in my diy underquilt.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast