Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ewker View Post
    anyone use Ed Speer's pad and cut it down. It is wide and long so you might be able to make it work
    I think that's what he's actually trying to work out - how he wants to cut his Speer pad. When I use a pad, that's what I use. I don't seem to have any problem with it sliding, though, even when entering/exiting the hammock.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    To keep a pad flat while in a hammock you have to cut darts in it. Finding the exact number and locations of said darts is the fun part.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by attroll View Post

The problem is that no matter what shape you make, when you place it in the hammock on a diagonal and as soon as you sit in the hammock and raise your feet and start to get into the hammock the pad at the foot end will always shift towards the center. It will not stay in the foot box.
    I have not tried this yet, but I need to. I have got used using a leg pad inside the hammock along with the WB torso UQ. It works quite well. Sometimes I put it down inside the pad pocket. But if I need to adjust the pad's position, especially after I change positions, it is so much easier to do so if the pad is inside the hammock but not in the pad pocket.

Any way, when I use just a torso pad inside the pocket, it seems to stay in place pretty darn well. And the leg pad can simply be moved at will to whatever position you need it in after you change position. So I'm thinking a wide enough full length pad cut in half, with the wider top half( or maybe just some segments added on top) and a less wide lower half used inside the hammock, might work pretty well.

Of course when it comes to using pads, a JRB BMBH is almost in it's own league in my experience, whether using full length or 20" wide or 25" wide or stacked pads or any combo of above. It is just so darn easy to use with a pad. Just something to consider for those who find the Bridge hammocks otherwise attractive for whatever reasons.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 06-25-2009 at 20:18.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I'm new to the hanging community but I've always used dots (or a few stripes) of silicone sealant on pads to keep them from migrating to the corners of tents. It seems to me that this same solution would work for a squirrelly pad in a double layer hammock.

Hammock
    my 11' ers
    Tarp
    many of my tarps
    Insulation
    yeti, Incubators
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie
    Images
    I have the 1/4" GG pad I cut from 41x60 to 30x60 which works very well at the torso ( has not slipped). I took the remaining 11x60 and cut in half, making two 11x30 that I use side by side and overlap alittle at the feet. Not able to play with it to much,,, too Hot here. I may build a sleeve for the 2 smaller ones. Still thinking on that one. I mainly wanted the pad to work with the Yeti for this Winter. Not sure how low I can go with both.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ewker View Post
    anyone use Ed Speer's pad and cut it down. It is wide and long so you might be able to make it work

The Speer pad doesn't slip around at all...it sticks like glue. It's pretty thin (and light) and does wrinkle, but the wrinkles aren't very noticeable. I've considered repeatedly putting the pad in the hammock, laying in it, taking it out, etc., etc., etc.to confirm that the wrinkles will reoccur in the same place each time. They could then be cut out- the darts that HC4U suggested. But, I hate to cut up what is already a mighty fine piece of gear.
    Sometimes even a Blind Hog finds an Acorn

Senior Member ringtail-THFKAfood's Avatar
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

how to carry

How are you carrying a ccf pad that is more than 20" wide?

I have tried a couple of different ways, but am not satisfied with any method.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    - Mark Twain

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Zeti UQ & WM bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps

Mine is landau 40 inch wide

Quote Originally Posted by food View Post

I folded it up the middle to make it 20 inch wide, then roll. Bulky, yes, but it is only 7.5 ounces (plus a bit for the straps to hold the roll)

Of course, now that I have my Yeti, I probably won't use the landau pad much...

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Insulation
    bat pad+DIY-PL UQ
    Suspension
    3mm Dyneema CR
    Quote Originally Posted by food View Post

I fold both sides toward the middle (and then roll it), far more practical due to the shape and does not create creases in the middle.
    At ~41" it's probably larger than most though, and for i thicker pad folding more than once is probably impractical

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images

I just hate anything hanging on my pack....

I guess it's because I'm a TN hillbilly and don't want anything to give another hiker an excuse for calling me Jeb or Jethro
    But I've carried a 30inch wide 3/8 inch pad on winter hikes that I used in my Speer along with the big PeaPod (now nothing like Shug's cold weather hikes but cold by my standards)....
    With the advent of the Yeti the space saved over carrying a full sized UQ allows the placement of a much smaller CCF pad inside the pack (Thanks Warbonnetguy for the heads up on that one).
    I'm thinking now for 3 season use a 1/4 inch CCF pad plenty long enough to cover my calves/feet will fit inside my Meridian Vapor.
    In the fourth season realm I'm still thinking I hate the super wide foam pad on the outside but can now combine the Yeti and either the Mt. Washington, the Snugfit or the PeaPod....now where is my Sherpa to carry the pack?

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast