Hammock
    diy,SB,WB
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    HG , Diy
    Suspension
    Whoopassees
    My plan is to keep hiking until I find something to hang from.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    There's comfort and there's survival.

Talked with a gentleman that forgot his hammock suspension and was miles in the backcountry at dark when he realized it.

Intermittent calisthenics to keep warm until bed, lay backpack and any other bulky items on the ground, layer up any and all clothing/sleepingbag/quilts you have with you onto your body, wrap body in tarp like a burrito, survive until morning.

At least that's what he did.

If he would have had some kind of pad, he may have been a bit better off. I would see your underside being the source of problems when going to ground if you don't carry some kind of pad. If you have even a small pad you can use that under your torso and your backpack under your legs and maybe have a half-decent nights sleep. Just setup your tarp as you would if you were using it with a hammock. Use your topquilt/sleeping bag as you would if you were using it with a hammock. Could go from survival to semi-comfort pretty easily.

That said, this type of situation would be the only time I could imagine having to go to ground - an emergency you can't plan for. If you plan well, you won't have to go to ground unless something unforseen happens. If it does, a small pad should do the trick to make the night manageable. If you don't carry a pad, be prepared to not be comfortable but still be able to survive if you play your cards right.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly/Edge
    Insulation
    Yeti/Burrow/Woobie
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Tendertoe View Post
    There's comfort and there's survival.

Talked with a gentleman that forgot his hammock suspension and was miles in the backcountry at dark when he realized it.

Intermittent calisthenics to keep warm until bed, lay backpack and any other bulky items on the ground, layer up any and all clothing/sleepingbag/quilts you have with you onto your body, wrap body in tarp like a burrito, survive until morning.

At least that's what he did.

If he would have had some kind of pad, he may have been a bit better off. I would see your underside being the source of problems when going to ground if you don't carry some kind of pad. If you have even a small pad you can use that under your torso and your backpack under your legs and maybe have a half-decent nights sleep. Just setup your tarp as you would if you were using it with a hammock. Use your topquilt/sleeping bag as you would if you were using it with a hammock. Could go from survival to semi-comfort pretty easily.

That said, this type of situation would be the only time I could imagine having to go to ground - an emergency you can't plan for. If you plan well, you won't have to go to ground unless something unforseen happens. If it does, a small pad should do the trick to make the night manageable. If you don't carry a pad, be prepared to not be comfortable but still be able to survive if you play your cards right.
    I agree with this. Despite the additional weight, I like to carry two industrial/outdoor trash bags in the pack. Despite having tons of make shift uses, filled with leaves and other debris can make it a decent emergency sleep pad. Good for the UQ only hangers out there anyway. But again, usually just an emergency situation, most people I've spoken to have never had to go to the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by floorman View Post
    My plan is to keep hiking until I find something to hang from.
    This is how I would expect to do it myself. I can't imagine a single situation where there would not be a hanging point in the visible distance. Unless of course you were in desert territory, but at that point you would just pack a tent/tarp and ground system.

I don't carry trekking poles nor do I plan on it. What else could I take and use that would serve the same purpose when needed but be out of sight and easy to carry?

Some of the cottage tent manufacturers sell carbon fiber poles. Under a foot in length when collapsed and around 2oz each

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky90319 View Post
    This is how I would expect to do it myself. I can't imagine a single situation where there would not be a hanging point in the visible distance. Unless of course you were in desert territory, but at that point you would just pack a tent/tarp and ground system.
    Hiking in the Whites and the mountains out west sometimes involves being above tree line, and sometimes that means being above tree line after dark. Not the best night hiking environment. In these cases, its best to have a system that can do both ground sleeping and hammock camping.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyro_ View Post
    Some of the cottage tent manufacturers sell carbon fiber poles. Under a foot in length when collapsed and around 2oz each
    Who? This sounds like what i'm looking for. Anybody point me in the right direction?

Zpacks sells sells them. I believe that six moon designs does as well

Quote Originally Posted by Pyro_ View Post
    Zpacks sells sells them. I believe that six moon designs does as well
    Thanks these should workout nicely. Now I need a suitable ground cloth and sleep pad. I'm thinking a NeoAir xlite for my pack structure. My hammock is not coated with dwr or silicone so its not water resistant at all. Maybe ill go with the trash bag idea.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12