WBBB XLT/shield
    Tarp
    UGQ .93 oz silpoly
    Insulation
    Down Quilts
    Suspension
    WB straps/cinch B

Question DIY spring/summer quilts

I have a need to acquire two top and two bottom under quilts, preferably Goose down. I have a thread injector, however I have never made an under quilt or top quilt for that matter. It maybe possible to locate two of each used or blemished in some way that would not be to expensive to purchase. The other alternative is to make them!

I'm open for suggestions?

BillC

Hammock
    DIY RS custom
    Tarp
    DIY winter custom
    Insulation
    DIY UQ+TQ &/or bag
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie+Straps
    unless you go with a karo step quilt design, it's mostly just preparation and pinning with some long straight stitches in between. Filling a shell with down is easy if you plan ahead (or at least have a plan)... I like the e-ductor method since I haven't bought down in measured baggies before.

Hammock
    WBBB XLT/shield
    Tarp
    UGQ .93 oz silpoly
    Insulation
    Down Quilts
    Suspension
    WB straps/cinch B
    Thanks e_2, I have been off this thread and really did not know some one responded to my post. While I'm thinking about it, how do I get informed that someone responded to your thread?

On the quilt issue, what else do I need to know before I start ordering materials? Also, would you use a treated down plum or untreated and what fill weight would you recommend? The fabrics I read about was I think Argon 90 from Dutch, however there maybe others I should consider. I'm trying to keep the weight down and the package small.

Hammock
    DIY RS custom
    Tarp
    DIY winter custom
    Insulation
    DIY UQ+TQ &/or bag
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie+Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by BillC523 View Post
    ...how do I get informed that someone responded to your thread?
    Just above the top post in a thread is a little thread tools drop-down menu. Click on subscribe to this thread and then you can check if there have been any new posts to any of your subscribed threads under the quick links menu up in the header of the forum pages.

Quote Originally Posted by BillC523 View Post
    ...what else do I need to know before I start ordering materials? Also, would you use a treated down plum or untreated and what fill weight would you recommend?...l.
    Before you dive into the expensive stuff, I'd recommend getting a feel for the process with some 1.1 oz/sq.yd. ripstop from DIYGearSupply or RipStopByTheRoll etc...

I got most of my down out of comforters I bought off ebay... search for "my luxe down -alternative" to find the comforters I and many others have bought. The last part of that search is important... "minus," no space and a word will effectively remove search results that have that word. Some of the auctions start around $25 but end up around $125 or so. If you consider the cost-per-ounce of down, and that you need X ounces of down to make Y number of top quilts and/or underquilts... it can be quite a good deal!

I like the king-size medium-weight comforter... there are 42 baffled sections (a 7x6 grid) with a total of 40 ounces of 800+ fill power down. So, just under 1 ounce per baffled section. For my -15º top and underquilts, I wanted (based on various loft calculations) 1.4 ounces per quilt baffled section, so I used one and-a-half sections of the comforter to fill each of my baffled sections. Confused? Sorry. I probably should have taken some video of the process... crap.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ght=cheap+down

Check out this thread I started. You can get bulk down for cheap, about $100 per pound. Blankets and pillows can be cheaper. I would say for with e_2 idea and start with the cheaper material. My first quilt was pretty ruff looking and I was glad I didnt put a lot of money into it. I used down from jackets I got at thrift stores for my first one. The whole thing cost me around $70, and its pretty heavy about probably around 550FP. But it keeps me warm down to about -20. So its my winter quilt where I dont care about weight as much. Its not to hard though. Just takes time, and if you rush you will see the result.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Also search for the catsplat uq calculator to get your weights for down and dimensions. It helps!

Hammock
    DIY RS custom
    Tarp
    DIY winter custom
    Insulation
    DIY UQ+TQ &/or bag
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie+Straps
    you kids and your heavy duty quilts...

I almost hate to say it, but I kinda miss winter, if only because of the Frozen Butt Hang

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Ya, were kinda hijacking this thread.... But I'm with you.... I want snow!!!!! I just got myself a fatbike too! Lets get a blizzard and some -20* days and get out there!

Quote Originally Posted by e_2 View Post
    you kids and your heavy duty quilts...

I almost hate to say it, but I kinda miss winter, if only because of the Frozen Butt Hang

• + New Posts