ENO Double
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 9
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks

Climbing Ascender technology

Hi guys. I've been coming to this sight for a while to get information, but this will be my first post. I am currently using whoopie slings for my suspension, but I was wondering if anyone has attempted to use the climbing ascender's technology on amsteel. A smaller version of an ascender could have a carabiner built in and attach to the hammock. This would simplify the system and cut back on the amount of rope needed. I was thinking amsteel might be too slick for it though. But anyways I was just wondering if there is anything like this on the market. Thanks guys. You all have been a major help with getting started hammock camping.

Hammock
    diy, hk2001,bmbh
    Tarp
    diy hex or aysym
    Insulation
    diy's,jarbidge!!!!
    Suspension
    whoops, ucr, dutch
    Images

Hammock
    ENO Double
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 9
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks
    No not the descending rings. I'd like to try that setup but I heard it is not good for amsteel and that is all I have at the moment. This is an ascender (skip to 1:40) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LK20hvHQyA

It is way too large as is. I was wondering if anyone attempted to use this sort of clamp technology in a hammock suspension.

Hammock
    ENO Double
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 9
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks
    Thanks for the feedback though.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Amsteel Blue is very soft and I suspect it would not hold it's shape well enough to allow a good bite by this style of clamping mechanism even if one was made. Climbing ropes are fairly firm.

The constricting bury of Whoopie Slings and UCRs is the way to "clamp" amsteel.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    Amsteel Blue is very soft and I suspect it would not hold it's shape well enough to allow a good bite by this style of clamping mechanism even if one was made. Climbing ropes are fairly firm.

The constricting bury of Whoopie Slings and UCRs is the way to "clamp" amsteel.
    While I agree about not using a clamp I have a slight issue with the soft comment. That weave is somewhat loose so the bundle is fairly easy to distort. OTOH the base material is not soft and is used in other places for high load. low friction. low speed bearings because it does not easily distort under load. If you pull out a magnifier and look at crushed amsteel I think you will find some rubbed off color coating and a disarranged bundle of flat fibers that hold their shape. At least that is what I found. ;-)
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
    While I agree about not using a clamp I have a slight issue with the soft comment....
    That's why I referred to amsteel blue rather than dyneema. I guess I should have said Amsteel has a very soft hand. I was simply referring to it's braid being easily distorted by clamping forces vs a climbing rope with a firm hand that holds it's shape better under clamping forces.

Hammock
    ENO Double
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 9
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks
    Yeah that makes sense. Thanks guys. Do you all know of any other small ropes commonly used with hammocks that are more firm?

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Over the years a few discussions have come and gone regarding using a Tibloc as part of a hammock suspension. It needs 8mm rope and a carabiner but is still substantially lighter than a full ascender. However when it comes down to it, your looking at going from 2-2.5mmm rope and tree straps up to 8mm rope + 2 tibloc's + 2 climbing grade carabiners. Not gaining anything in ease of adjustment and picking up about 10 times the weight and bulk of a standard hammock suspension. Sure it looks cool and it seams easy when coming from a climbing background...I myself climbed and caved for close to 20 years (and when I stated hammocking I played with my climbing gear to rig a hammock)....but compared with the current hammock suspension systems there is just no advantage.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    DIY CF Asym
    Insulation
    Zpacks HGincubator
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by pgibson View Post
    Over the years a few discussions have come and gone regarding using a Tibloc as part of a hammock suspension. It needs 8mm rope and a carabiner but is still substantially lighter than a full ascender. However when it comes down to it, your looking at going from 2-2.5mmm rope and tree straps up to 8mm rope + 2 tibloc's + 2 climbing grade carabiners. Not gaining anything in ease of adjustment and picking up about 10 times the weight and bulk of a standard hammock suspension. Sure it looks cool and it seams easy when coming from a climbing background...I myself climbed and caved for close to 20 years (and when I stated hammocking I played with my climbing gear to rig a hammock)....but compared with the current hammock suspension systems there is just no advantage.

Agreed. Also, Ascenders tend to be rather "cruel" to ropes. They can cause quite a bit of unnecessary wear (have you seen those teeth?). The ones that don't have teeth tend to slip quite a bit, so are no improvement over buries (eg. petzl gris-gris).

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast