SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway
    Insulation
    AHE New River UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie/dutch

Newbie Tarp Question

So I setup my Grand Trunk SBP in the front yard yesterday (xmas present from my kids) so figure out how to do it before hopefully using it this weekend. I did switch out the heavy steel carabiner for a pair of Black Diamond carabiners, and I picked up some Atlas Straps at REI simply because they were easy and available - and they are simple but think I'll move to whoopies at some point since they are heavy... but for the moment they work and I think my son is interested in a hammock at some point so I can pass them along to him - they are for sure good and easy to start with. Got everything up and experimented with sag and getting the bug net lines right and think I found a decent setup.

Then I tried to put up my tarp - a DD Hammock M size. First issue was not enough nite ize line to adjust it properly tying off at the ridge attachment point and getting it around the tree to the camjam. Had 12 feet and cut it in half but 6 feet was not enough and I'm thinking about the "v" method pinned at the top of the forum.

However, the DD does have several ridgeline attachment loops and I'm wondering if with a tarp this long using those would provide more stability? The question, however, is how do I attach the loops on the edge of the tarp to the ridgeline so it stays in one place and doesn't "sag" - ie. keep the tarp stretched out? Or do you rely on the bottom corners to keep the tarp taught and don't tie it off at all along the ridge?

Thanks!

Hammock
    DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    I am a little confused. It sounds as if you are using two lines to attach your tarp?? If this is the case, you will not attach any other loops to the 'ridgeline' other than the two you are tying to the tree.

If you are using a continuous ridgeline, you can attach them using a prusik knot if you feel it is necessary. Usually only two tie outs are used for the ridgeline. Pull them tight enough and you should have minimal sag. Not sure how well the poly tarps from DD tension though.

Need Adventure...Make Adventure

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway
    Insulation
    AHE New River UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie/dutch
    I'm probably not describing it very well.

I initially set it up with two lines - one tied to each end of the tarp then to the tree and it was taut enough but when the wind blew I was wondering about the strain to those two attachment points. The DD has loops to allow for a single continuous ridgeline - over top of the tarp - which seemed like it might be a more stable setup since you're supporting the tarp with 5 attachment points rather than two. I guess the question is if you run a line through those loops do you need to do anything additional with the last two loops (the ones on the end and the last loops before the line goes to the tree) to keep them in a "fixed" position to the one continuous ridgeline, or just run the continuous line through them and keep the tarp positioned along the continuous line by use of the staked out points...

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway
    Insulation
    AHE New River UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie/dutch
    I looked up the prusik knot and a small bit of line and that knot seem to be just the ticket.

I will say that trying out a hammock has done wonders for my 6 boy scout knot knowledge (well OK - really two plus this new prusik knot)!

Hammock
    DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    Yeah. You'll need to use the prusik on the ridgeline along with staking out the corners. Otherwise your ridgeline will want to scrunch up towards the center of the line.

Need Adventure...Make Adventure

Hammock
    HH
    Insulation
    down
    I'm not sure even if you had not cut it if 12' would be enough in many applications.(ie: 1 foot around each tree with some know room only leaves less than 10 feet.) You are ahead of me so this is a very good Primer. Tried to get my Portable Hammock Stand built this last weekend but bad weather and work exhaustion put that off.
    So keep up the good work on this thread PLEASE!

• + New Posts