Lite Owl/GT SB
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Jarbidge, JRB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolloff View Post
    I've been using Tato's Adjustable tarp tie-outs, from Dutch's site. Seem to make a world of difference.

You can use one on each side of the tarp to open up the inside nicely or pitch broadside into a wind and place both of them on the wind side and let them double down against the gale. No flap, no pulled stakes.
    +1 on this. I had the tato tie out deployed last time I was out and during some gale force winds one of my guylines popped off a stake, but the Tato tie out kept the tarp from coming completly free and kept everything dry while i got the guyline restored. I don't have tarp tensioners on that tarp, but think I'll add some.
    You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows~Bob Dylan
    http://carnegies-restaurant.com

Hammock
    HH
    Insulation
    down
    Excellent questions and answers.
    Thanks.
    Paul

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Were your doors folded to the inside or outside?
    I fold my doors to the inside for two reasons. One is that it's easier to deploy them and stay dry if a sudden rain kicks up. The other is that they are a bit less exposed to wind that would fill the folded doors like a wind sock.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DH RG 11' 1.6 Lefty
    Tarp
    HG, OES
    Insulation
    UQG,HG,WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    If you look at my album, the first two pictures of the HG tarp in the snow was a very windy day/night. I sucked the hammock way up high to prevent CBS and closed the doors tight to make it more aerodynamic. The walls were as vertical as possible to shed snow. Had no issues that night and slept warm. This is up in the Porkies (Mich) 50' off Lake Superior. It was poor site selection on my part.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Thunderbird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    kAQ New River, DIY
    Suspension
    Varies w/hammock
    Doors were folded inside. the two doors folded away from the wind were fine, the two folded opposing the wind still caught wind and pulling every which way. I had a prussik knot on the tie outs between doors to keep them taught, but that only goes so far.

What I thought of is the two doors that oppose the wind could be opened up and staked out straight in line with the tarp, or ad a slight angle so as not to catch the wind as much.

So the tato tarp conenctors are used like a shock cord tensioner in this application correct? I already have a length of shock cord spliced into the guy lines on all 4 corners. They actually did quite well in the wind. I'm curious what size shock cord you guys are using. wondering if 1/8" is sufficient, or if 1/4" is preferred

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images

Rainflies and the wind

I have used loops of shockcord of either 1/8" and 3/32" and both got the job done.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    I'm puzzled because I use the tarp to block wind. IF it will not do it without breaking then I need a different tarp. That said, I also agree with the folks that select sites for protection and pitch according to the weather.

In terms of better materials Urethane coated Nylon is stronger, heavier, and cheaper. ;-)
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjaw14 View Post
    So the tato tarp conenctors are used like a shock cord tensioner in this application correct? I already have a length of shock cord spliced into the guy lines on all 4 corners. They actually did quite well in the wind. I'm curious what size shock cord you guys are using. wondering if 1/8" is sufficient, or if 1/4" is preferred
    Nope. They are pull-outs for the sides of the tarp. Some people have additional sets permanently sewn on to the sides for this.

Tato gear lets you move them around anywhere on the tarp you'd like, and believe me, I've probably never set them in the same spot, two times in a row. The weather, pitch of your tarp, and anchor points change, so why shouldn't you be able to move the pulls outs around to best suit the situation. The harder the tarp pulls the tighter they hold. No slip. No damage. They just work.

Great price points > http://dutchwaregear.com/clip-on-tarp-pull-outs.html

And of course you get to order stuff from Dutch! That should almost be enough as is.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    DIY Whipped End
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut
    Insulation
    Synthetic bag/PLUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    My failure story from the same island, same day that you are talking about is that mason line for tie outs in the wind doesn't hold well due to the friction caused from the movement of the line on the stake.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Thunderbird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    kAQ New River, DIY
    Suspension
    Varies w/hammock
    LOL I had forgotten about your tarp. Now that I think about it, that's about the time I started worrying about mine and opted to put it in the snake skins. What size shock cord do you have on your tarp? I forgot to ask you when I saw it.

I've wondered about taking a 1-2" piece of sheathing from some wire and using it on the guylines where they wrap around the stakes to protect them from that kind of damage.

Quote Originally Posted by TN Cereal Killa View Post
    My failure story from the same island, same day that you are talking about is that mason line for tie outs in the wind doesn't hold well due to the friction caused from the movement of the line on the stake.

Ah, I was looking at the wrong thing on dutch's site. Those make better sense. I just made a dutchware order too..dang it, I could have included those and saved on shipping vs another order.

Quote Originally Posted by Rolloff View Post
    Nope. They are pull-outs for the sides of the tarp. Some people have additional sets permanently sewn on to the sides for this.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast