Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Integrated vs. separate bug net pros/cons?

I'm just getting into hammocking (obsessively researching the past couple of days), and I've got a Grand Trunk Double ordered that should arrive tomorrow. It was inexpensive and reviews indicated it's one of the most comfortable hammocks available.

However, when it comes to camping, I'll need to either order an integrated bugnet hammock, or add a couple modular upgrades (bugnet and fly).

I've read online people with Hennessy's and similar hammocks complaining that bugs can bite through the hammock, so I'm thinking that a modular system might be more effective in any case because it provides complete protection rather than just top-cover bug protection.

2 benefits I can potentially see from a separate bugnet: 1) protection for entire hammock, and 2) a bit of bugnet drape below the hammock may serve as a bit of insulation by cutting wind and trapping warmth, just as the bugnet above does.

Am I thinking right on this? If I get snakeskins to pack it with bugnet attached, it shouldn't be any less convenient than an integrated bugnet.

My potential camp system would include: GT Double, thinking of the BIAS Buginator for a bugnet, and a diamond rain fly from mosquitohammock.com. I'm thinking that would give me a good comfy hammock, bug screen with full coverage, and a nice big rainfly for less than the cost of most integrated systems.

Or... am I better off just to order a Hennessy (Explorer Ultralite Classics are on sale...)? (Or how do those Jungle tents at mosquitohammock.com compare?)

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 Argon
    Tarp
    DIY 1.1 Sil Hex
    Insulation
    WB 3 Season Yeti
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles/Stra
    I owned a HH until recently and just received a WB XLC today in the mail. My experience so far has been that integrated bug nets are a tad more restrictive. They are harder to get into and out of. They hate harder to make quilt adjustments. I say "harder", I've never owned a separate bug net. So, I can't really say. My friend just received a traveler and bug net. I'm anxious to see how it works

Hammock
    Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator 20*
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle
    Images
    SilvrSurfr we be here shortly I'm sure.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I will fill in for in until he does

For camping I like the integrated bug net as I can not loose it and or leave it at home. I am 275 lbs ( down from almost 300 ) and 6ft 2 and I do not feel confined or restrictive by the bug net. I mostly use a BB 1.7 or 1.1 (both are doubles) as the they hold my weight and the double layers keep the skeeters from biting thru. I also treat my hammocks with permethin.

I also use a DIY hammock with a fronkey bug net.

I find the bug nets that are integrated keep me from kicking my TQs and other gear out of the hammock. I have woke up cold and found my TQ kicked out of the DIY hammock and the fronkey bug net at least kept it off the ground,
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images

Integrated vs. separate bug net pros/cons?

One is not better than the other, only different. For every pro, there is a con.
    For someone starting out, I would say to go with an integrated bugnet. They are simple, logical, and you can't get them in wrong or lose them. Nor can you lose your quilt. The only real downside for the beginner is that it's more difficult to adjust the under quilt.

P.S. Spray permethrin on the underside of the hammock once each season - no bugs will bite.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nhott View Post
    Present and accounted for! BillyBob will be by shortly to wax poetic on the Hennessy SuperShelter!

Though the majority of people prefer integrated bugnets, I get claustrophobic. All it took was a calf cramp in my Hennessy Expedition, fumbling for the zipper, and I was looking for a better way. I moved full time into simple gathered-end hammocks and BIAS Buginator or Nanobuginator bugnets - converted both my sons too. I just have to swing my legs out of the hammock and my feet are on the ground, ready to run.

Interestingly, my reason for moving away from hammocks with integrated bugnets was calf ridge and calf cramps. I've never had an issue since I moved away from hammocks with integrated bugnets. I always felt that the hammocks with integrated bugnets forced me to lay the way the manufacturer wanted me to lay. In a simple gathered-end I do what I want.

While I agree that an independent bugnet protects the whole hammock, I doubt it does much to cut wind or trap warmth. If it's cold enough that I'm looking for ways to stay warmer, then the weather's probably too cold to even worry about bugs and I wouldn't have the bugnet with me anyway. Another plus for the independent bugnet - leave it at home when you don't need it. I use a bugnet maybe four months out of the year, at most.

I like being able to spray the bugnet with Permethrin but I don't have to spray my hammocks. I can see where an integrated bugnet might keep you from kicking quilts and other gear out of the hammock, but I don't kick my quilts out of the hammock, and there is no other gear in my hammock but me and my TQ.

As for convenience, hammocks with integrated bugnets usually win that debate. I've never seen anyone putting hammock and bugnet into snakeskins - sounds like more trouble than it's worth. Besides, you're still gonna need some sort of underinsulation which will complicate matters.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    Because of where I live, and hang, I don't always need a bug net. But when I need one, I really need one. I tried an integrated net hammock once and felt claustrophobic. After that I didn't own a net of any kind. Recently I've experimented with different styles of separate nets. Now I'm going to try a BIAS buginator. I think it depends a lot on where you live, and how much you'll need a net. If I still lived in Florida, I might try an integrated style again?
    "We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love.... and then we return home."
    Australian Aboriginal Proverb

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    And by the way, while that diamond tarp you're considering is big, it doesn't provide much protection from blowing precipitation. My first couple of tarps were diamond and I really grew to loathe them. I love sleeping in my hammock during the rain, but not if it means getting wet.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Here's a recent thread on zippered bugnets. One thing I noticed in this thread is that it appeared most people hadn't even tried an independent bugnet, but they had strong reasons for believing zippered or integrated bugnets were superior and more secure from creepy crawlies.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...pered-bug-nets

I have no problem being in the minority in this regard!
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 04-21-2014 at 23:00.

Hammock
    NX250, Envy, Appalachian
    Tarp
    one with doors
    Insulation
    UGQ down
    Suspension
    straps & Dutch's
    So, here's the thing...you've already got a hammock that has no net. So, at the moment, you're choice is buy a bugnet, or buy another hammock that has an integrated bugnet. My advice is read the thread silvrsurfr provided and decide on what type of separate bugnet you want, get it, and try it out. Personally, I'd get an ENO bugnet as well as a zipperless one and see which one you like. As has been said, there are pros and cons to all three types and the only way you'll find out what works for you is to try them out.
    Remember...no matter where you go...there you are.

"I have said that Texas is a state of mind, but I think it is more than that. It is a mystique closely approximating a religion". - John Steinbeck

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast