Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast
    Hammock
    DIY 11' Argon 1.6
    Tarp
    Edge
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    I finally have a hotel hammock stand! I took it with me to a 3-nighter in New Orleans last weekend - it fits in my traveling golf bag so bringing it on a plane is not a problem. Weight is probably 20 pounds or so. Mine is nothing like Thumbs' but it got me off the ground in my hotel room. I got the idea from this gentleman: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-Ea73tsxlk

IMG_20141017_073451.jpgIMG_20141016_201940.jpg

The only major thing that I changed from the Youtube video was dividing the 10 foot ridge pole (top fence railing) into three 3'4" pieces so that I could get it to fit in my traveling golf bag. One piece connected via the female/male connector that comes on the fence rail:

IMG_20141017_073459.jpg

The other connects with a fence post connector sleeve here:

IMG_20141017_073512.jpg

A couple notable things. I was able to get a very good lay in my 11 foot argon hammock - to get the very best lay, my butt was about 2 inches off the ground. Doesn't matter in a hotel room! I also tried out my 10.5 foot hammock and was able to get a good lay more like 5 inches off the ground.

I'm still tweaking with my method of connecting the hammock to the top fence post. Currently, I'm doing it this way:

IMG_20141017_073353.jpg

But I'm exploring other options right now. Let me know if you have any ideas!

The tripod consists for 4 foot 2X2s, which also fit in my golf bag case. Total cost was roughly $38.00 at Home Depot.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel Speed Hook
    Images
    I use a loop of webbing tied in a prusik around the pole. Holds good and doesn't slip (hasn't yet). I'm by no means an expert but yours looks fine to me. My setup is a little different from yours. I have these pictures from construction.

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." -Thomas Edison

Hammock
    Kammock Roo
    Tarp
    AquaQuest Defender

Thumbs up

I agree with all the other posts on this thread - excellent stand.

I have the same desires for a hammock stand - usable in the outdoors and for use in motels when traveling.

I've been reading through tons of other post on other threads - all the variations of turtle dog stands - thinking, why doesn't someone just make it like a swing set, get rid of two legs (1 each end) and connect via a ridge pole? I was designing in my head something using steel electrical conduit (EMT) for 2 legs and ridgepole then adding 3 triangle plates attached with u-bolts to legs and ridgepole to stop the flex you get in the turtledog style stands. I saw a turtledog design using EMT that had extendable legs with settings in several positions. Then I found yours.

I saw a turtledog design using EMT that had extendable legs with settings in several positions.

Your solution is most excellent, where my thoughts lean towards do-it-yourself thinking.

Did you consider having the legs lean in towards the center similar to a typical backyard swing set?
    Do you think that would make much difference?

And a question for everyone in general. I'd think the ridgepole in any design would be at risk to being grabbed and pulled down as someone climbs out of the hammock. Has anyone observed that as a problem?

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    MW Monster
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/ HG UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies
    Hi Sharpstick,

I think what you are thinking about can be found in this thread. https://hammockforums.net/forum/show...od-style-stand

The thread is huge, have a read through it closely. Also, stop by the "Intoduce yourself" thread and do just that. Give that search function a shot too. It works wonders.
    I would rather be in the woods... my dog would rather be in the pool. My wife thinks we are both nuts.

Hammock
    Kammock Roo
    Tarp
    AquaQuest Defender

Ahaaaaa!

Quote Originally Posted by BigE94 View Post
    Hi Sharpstick,

I think what you are thinking about can be found in this thread. https://hammockforums.net/forum/show...od-style-stand

The thread is huge, have a read through it closely. Also, stop by the "Introduce yourself" thread and do just that. Give that search function a shot too. It works wonders.
    Wow, each thread leads to another even better one. I like the stand you pointed me to.

Thanks,
    SharpStick
    -- Sometimes I sits and thinks and sometimes I just sits.

I wish this thread didn't die out. This is the best stand I've ever seen and really want to try to find a shop to produce something similar.

Hammock
    WB, JRB, WL
    Tarp
    bigger is better;)
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, UGQ, WL
    Suspension
    If it aint Dutch..
    Images
    there are still a few good hammock stand solutions out there with HF threads. Dutchware, Hammeck (maybe out of production?), JRB pipe stand, others?
    - Loki my videos
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
    Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees.
    The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy,
    while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn." — John Muir

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY (Olive Oyl)
    Insulation
    [allergic to down]
    Images

Super Simple Strong Fairly Cheap Very Quick Bipod Style Stand

Hammock
    HH EUL, Chameleon
    Tarp
    HH Hex, DIY WASM
    Insulation
    DIY Gemini
    Suspension
    UCRs
    Quote Originally Posted by P-Dub View Post
    As already pointed out earlier, this is the one! http://tarps.com/fittings2.htm now has "1 3/8 Open L, one pipe slides through, $5.00" each, so you don't have to cut off one half of the T, and they are $ 0.50 cheaper each. Mine are arriving tomorrow.

Edit: And I live on a tree farm so I don't really need a stand! Is that dumb or what.

Hammock
    DIY Argon 11.5'
    Tarp
    DIY SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG Inc 0º, UGQ FJ
    Suspension
    Dutch Speedhooks
    This isn't dead. Just had some life things get in the way.
    The stand does work perfectly for my needs and that's why it's the way it is. I have had several requests from different people to modify it for their needs. Wasn't as much interest for it as it is.
    I may publish the main bits for other people to make it for their own needs. Many wanted the poles in shorter sections or made from different materials.
    Winter has the most free time for me. So it will be a month or two before I re-visit this.

Mike

• + New Posts
  • Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast