Hammock
    ENO DN as of right now.
    Tarp
    Silnylon Equinox
    Insulation
    Down Sleeping Bag

Mohican Trail Report Anyone?

Hey Everyone,
    My Wife and I are hitting Mohican Park and Pack the first weekend in May. It's the first time we have been there and I am really excited about it.

Any advice on which sites are good and which sites to stay away from this time of year?

We are planning on getting there Friday evening. How is availability this time of year? Do they allow Dogs at the park and pack sites?

I've never been to this park or the area so have any safety issues been reported at this Park? Car vandalism, theft, either two legged or four legged, etc? Sounds like the Rangers are pretty active

Thanks in advance

-Woody
    "If you think the economy is more important than the environment, try holding your breath while counting your money."

Hammock
    Dutchware 11ft
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    I haven't been there myself, but I highly recommend you check out the trail maps and advice on http://www.backpackohio.com/wildcat.html. That site has downloadable trail maps and reports for every backpacking trail in ohio. I think they are about $6 each. I have the Vesuvius and Zaleski and have found them to be spot on. I think the Mohican one discussed the pros and cons of each camp site. There is also a small forum on the site that offers advice about Mohican.

Hammock
    Mackinac Bridge
    Tarp
    DCF
    Insulation
    Grey Goose Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Here's a trip report from a day hike I did there on April 12th.

Site 7 is the only one I would recommend not using.

Sites 8, 9 & 10 are good sites on the top of Hickory Ridge but if the campground in the gorge below is crowded you may hear the more rowdier campers during the night. All of these sites are close to the hiking/mountain biking trail. Site 10 is my favorite of these 3 sites but it is also the only site that allows for a larger group of campers (I think 4 people is the limit at all the other sites).

Sites 1 thru 4 are also good sites with less of a chance of hearing people in the nearby bridle trail parking lot. There will be 1 or 2 stream crossings depending on which site you were going to use. One thing to keep in mind with sites 1 - 4 is they are very close to the bridle trail with site 2 being nearly right on the trail. The upside of site 2 is it is also right next to Pine Run Creek which provides for pleasant sleeping.

Sites 5 & 6 are both decent sites. If seclusion is what you're looking for, one of these 2 sites would serve you well. Both are relatively small compared to the others but are more than adequate. And both are close to a bridle trail.

Someone else can chime in if I'm incorrect but I don't think there is any kind of ban on dogs at the park & pack sites. You could go to the Ohio DNR's Mohican Section to be certain.

As for sights to see...I would recommend hiking the Lyons Falls Trail for views of the Big & Little Lyons Falls, the Hemlock Gorge Trail for views of the river, and both the Gorge Overlook & Fire Tower are worth checking out. I'm not sure if you can hike to the Gorge Overlook but you can park at the Covered Bridge and hike the Hogs Hollow Trail to the Fire Tower or you can just drive to it if you choose.

Backpackohio.com has a good trail map available and you can also purchase a good one at the office of Campground A for $3 if memory serves. I would go with the Backpackohio.com map if I were you because it is focused on the Park & Pack sites and has a much more in depth description of the sites and the trails.

As for vandalism and other hooliganism...I personally have never had a problem with such things or witnessed such things in my many trips there but I did have an encounter with a Ranger last summer in the parking lot for sites 8 - 10 that spoke of such things occasionally occurring. If it's something you're concerned with you could check out the local newspaper for Loudonville (sorry I don't know its name) or the website of the Ashland Municipal Court for crime reports in the area.

I hope you & your wife enjoy your trip!
    Last edited by Trail Runner; 04-24-2014 at 14:32.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl xlc
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch bkls
    The only thing I would add to Trail Runner's very good report is that registering for the park and pack sites at the kiosk at the forestry ranger's office is a must. Especially if you're at site 9 on Hickory Ridge, the ranger checks the site pretty often because it is a favorite for the local kids to have their fun. It's my favorite group site and it sits right on the mountain bike trail which is top notch and highly technical about 30 mile loop so I understand.

David

Hammock
    10' Dutch Argon1.6
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Golite20/Phoenix20
    Suspension
    WS,Dutch,Litesmith
    Site 4 is right on the trail but not good for hammocks. There is a pine forest just north of it about .75 mile from the bridal trail parking and no stream crossing. The trail is right by the gazebo for quick access.

Hammock
    ENO DN as of right now.
    Tarp
    Silnylon Equinox
    Insulation
    Down Sleeping Bag
    Awesome!! Thank you everyone for the input and a special thank you to Trailrunner for that very in depth report. I really appreciate it! -Woody
    "If you think the economy is more important than the environment, try holding your breath while counting your money."

Hammock
    SBP
    Tarp
    Ewotah 10x10
    Insulation
    USGI Woobie
    Suspension
    JRB
    I love 8, 9 and 10. They are the most secluded I think. Good resources too (dead wood for a camp fire).

• + New Posts