Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

tips, thoughts, and frustrations from a newbie making an underquilt

So you want to make an underquilt, do you? Im wishing my diy eyes weren't bigger than my stomach!

I thought I would throw out a few helpful tidbits on things I would have done differently as someone smack dab in the middle this gigantic project. (Double trouble because im making one for the husband at the same time!)

That was my first mistake. If this is your first UQ, maybe just try one first. 2 is enouph to make a person loose it.

Next, i would have chosen my fabric more carefully. I knew i needed some DWR ripstop so i snatched some up that was on sale. Turns out it was much heavier than I expected. It sucks going through the sewing machine and I am going to be kicking myself on the trail. If you are going to go through all the effort to make a UQ, do yourself a favor and choose carefully.

PIN, PIN, PIN those baffles down! Man they squiggle and squaggle all over the place, and it is worth the extra effort in pinning than to constantly be readjusting while sewing.

Lastly, a couple baffles a day keeps the crazies away. Now that I have them sewn to one side and am working on the other it takes all my strength to keep it together. Ive decided to pace myself so I can finish the project.

I am open to ANY suggestions to make this undertaking any easier. I'll probably be working on it the next couple of weeks. Thanks!

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    The best solution to this, at least it's the story I'm going with, would be an Underquilts.com UQ shell, for around 50 bucks.

Gives you the perfect example of quality workmanship, materials, and attention to detail involved. With all the baffles in place and three sides injected, most of the "holding" has been done for you, but there's still plenty of work closing the baffles after they've been stuffed, sewing the final edge shut and installing the shock cord channel for the suspension.

I have one and don't know whether I want to fill it with down or dissect it, to find out all the rest of the story.

I do know, in the future, I'll let the skilled handle my insulation needs. Don't think I can make it any cheaper, and I know my skills won't match any of our competent HF vendors.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolloff View Post
    The best solution to this, at least it's the story I'm going with, would be an Underquilts.com UQ shell, for around 50 bucks...
    I suggest reading the warning on the HF Home Page.

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Since you already have the baffles on one side, I suggest you start by rolling the blank side and pin with clips(any kind). This is your bottom side.

Take the top side with baffles, roll the fabric back, and start by pinning the first baffle(closest to the far end, left side) with as many pins to keep them from "squiggle and squaggle all over the place". By rolling and clipping the bottom fabric, it wil allow the entire Quilt to easily fit between the needle and body of machine. Sew the baffle in a straight line.

Unroll and reclip enough for the next baffle line. Pin the next baffle and sew. Repeat.

The hardest part is connecting the first baffle. Then it's just repetition and after a couple of baffles, it's easy, just tedious.

Good luck.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    HH
    Insulation
    down
    THe best laid plans of mice and men are just not worth it when you can buy the project 3/4+ done for peanuts. Most of the pride and satisfaction with very little of the anger. Except for the Cough, Cough feather part.

[QUOTE=Floridahanger;1246896]Since you already have the baffles on one side, I suggest you start by rolling the blank side and pin with clips(any kind).[QUOTE]

That is a great idea!! Thanks! I've been using the roll and cram method. Clips sound better!

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Medium sized binder clips work very well. Small enough to not be in the way and large enough to hold most any amount of frabric from quilts to tarps.

Also, I've also used potato chip bag clips.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    Dutchware Argon 11'
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware CinchBug
    Are there other vendors who offer the underquilt shell?

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    I suggest reading the warning on the HF Home Page.
    Didn't see the "warning". I knew production was going to slow to pretty much a stop for a while. Hope things run for the best.

There are several of his underground shells out there. Like stated, I have one, and would be glad to send it to the OP to have a look, if it would be of any help. Pretty sure I want to keep it. I learned enough by looking and laying my hands on it, that Insulation kits weren't going to be my cup of DIY tea.

Rolloff
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    All good advice in this thread! Making gear is doable for most folks because it only has to be functional, not pretty. However, it should be fun! Treat it like another separate hobby.
    I fly fish, but I also like to tie my own flies. The one activity isn't really related to the other (until it's in the fish's mouth), but I enjoy spending my time doing both.
    Just as some find a reward in tying flies and others are frustrated, so too are hiker/campers when it comes to making gear.
    As the OP warned, if you hike with your gear, pay attention to the materials used. After all the effort spent, you don't want to wish you had done it differently. (Car campers can save on materials).
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast