Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator

Thru hike TQ/UQ advice

Hey all,
    I could use some advice on my Underquilt and Topquilt dilemma. So I'm planning to thru hike the appalachian trail, leaving late february of 2015, and am just now beginning to look into gear, specifically hammock gear's incubator 20 deg. underquilt and the burrow 20 deg. topquilt. Being that i'm a pretty broke college student trying to conserve money every way possible, I was thinking that when it comes time to shed my winter weight that instead of swapping my UQ and TQ for a warmer temp. setup I would just simply send home my underquilt. I am curious as to what some of you more experienced hangers thought about this. I personally am pretty new to hammocking and have never gotten the chance to use a UQ or TQ, so some advice would be greatly appreciated. (I'm also not set in stone on the hammock gear setup so if anyone has some advice on some cheaper gear that will get the job done as well that would be much appreciated.) Thanks a bunch!

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    Without any bottom insulation your but will freeze at night even in summer. In a hammock bottom insulation is essential. As for the quilt set I would go Hammock Gear however contact Adam and inquire about the custom thirty UQ and TQ he just made for Yoda (a.k.a. Cranky Bear) regardless I'd spent a lot of time reading through the site. Also definitely watch Shug Hammock How To videos their in the sticky. Welcome to the forum.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

keep watching the 'for sale' thread you will find something there, just be patient.

Hammock
    Trail Lair || Brazilian
    Tarp
    CF w/ doors
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    UCR
    Here's the setup that an actual AT thru-hiker used: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sTft2mLI0k

If leaving that early you can expect some very cold temps, as it's the end of winter so plan for a few nights in the single digits. With the teens a regular till the end of Feb beginning of March. Then as it warms you can switch to some warmer quilts. Easy to vent if too warm, not as easy to warm up if your quilts aren't up to the task.

Best of luck.
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    If you're going to ditch anything when it gets warmer, ditch the TQ.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    As others said, you will need both, under and top quilt to stay warm. Even in summer. What the sleeping pad and sleeping bag are for tenting, the under and top quilt are for hammocking. You wouldn't send home your sleeping pad in summer, either, and sleep on the bare ground.

I sounds as if you haven't had any experience with hammocks at all. Before going out and buying quilts, I would advise you to get a hammock and tarp first, and use what you have (pad and sleeping bag) to see if sleeping in a hammock is for you at all. If you like it, get an underquilt. Do more testing. Then get a top quilt. Any sleeping bag will do what a top quilt does (just open it up); it will just be a bit more weight.

If you go for quilts, the 20° rated quilts are probably the most versatile. Most people would be able to use them for the temperatures you will see on your thru-hike. If you are very weight conscious and don't want to get a 3-season and a summer set of quilts, you could also buy a 30°/40° under quilt and supplement it with a foam pad during the colder stretches of the hike. When it gets warmer, send home the pad (but keep the 30°/40° under quilt).

Hammock
    11 foot
    Tarp
    Old man winter
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopee slings
    What do you guys think about the usefulness of a zero degree uq vs a 20 degree uq for the at? I have a zero degree that I found used locally and was thinking that I should maybe try to sell it and get a 20 degree in stead. Do temperatures in the southern end get that cold in febuary / early march? I also have a 40 degrer uq that I could trade out once the weather warmed up a bit. Do you guys think the zero degree is overkill? The more I think about having a zero degree uq seems a little rediculous for someone who resided in georgia.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0DL,1.7, WBRR DL, BIAS Micro
    Tarp
    HG Hex, WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    40*HG PX, 20HG 10D
    Suspension
    WB straps, whoopie
    I live in the foothills of North Georgia mountains at went to college in Dahlonega, Ga which is 30 min drive from Blood Mountain. I have hiked the first 70 miles of the GA section in all seasons over the last 5 years and see different weather condition.

February can be hot and cold and temps in town vs 2000ft higher can be drastically different.

For me having a zero is for just in case scenario as some temps can drop near zero. For me get a 20 degree with 1oz overstuff in a incubator short or a phincubator as listed below. I went with 65 inches and 10denier before argon fabric.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2E_PFFBXTK8&sns=em

If you are 5"9 the 65 inches works with a pillow. I would also use underquilt protector as well from 2qzq to keep wind and bay an perception. It can add about 5 degrees of warm just having wind suck the heat from the quilt.

If you already have the zero use it till at least late march or past Damascus. That would be my suggestion and the. Go for a 40 degree Phoenix with a pad.

Just my 2 cents.
    "you will never reach your destination if you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks."
    Winston Churchill

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ebrianschmidt View Post
    What do you guys think about the usefulness of a zero degree uq vs a 20 degree uq for the at? I have a zero degree that I found used locally and was thinking that I should maybe try to sell it and get a 20 degree in stead. Do temperatures in the southern end get that cold in febuary / early march? I also have a 40 degrer uq that I could trade out once the weather warmed up a bit. Do you guys think the zero degree is overkill? The more I think about having a zero degree uq seems a little rediculous for someone who resided in georgia.
    A zero is definitely not overkill in Feb/March in Ga and western NC. Temps are routinely in the teens for lows. Most of the time it will be low 30s which, for me anyway, is very tolerable in a zero quilt. In fact, I sleep cold, so I prefer my zero in those temps.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast