View Poll Results: I have/if I had a bridge hammock I think the best tarp would be...

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Jacksrbetter 11x10

4 25.00%
  • Warbonnet Superfly

5 31.25%
  • Other

7 43.75%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Organizing my thoughts on different tarps

I need a tarp to use with my JRB BMBH. I dont want to buy multiple tarps. I am trying to figure out which will be the absolute best so I only have to buy one. I figure I need a large tarp for two reasons. 1 In Az its either good weather and I wont even bother setting up a tarp, or its bad weather and I need full protection from the elements be it rain, wind, snow or a combination of. 2 The bridge hammock is a wide hammock, so to have adequate room under the tarp with full protection and the spreader bars not rub the tarp I think it should be large.

In my decision making process I keep going back and forth between two tarps. At first I considered all large (winter) tarps. OES, Speers, JRB, Warbonnet and a few others. I have narrowed my choice down to the JRB 11x10 and Warbonnet superfly. I know the others are great tarps but I want a tarp that "blends" in with nature a little more than white. Also a darker colored tarp would block more light allowing me to sleep in a little longer while camping.

The JRB and Warbonnet seem to have their own advantages. The one main advantage to each is...

JRB
    Has mutliple ways to hang the tarp. I really like this option but doesnt seem to "seal up" as much as the Warbonnet.

Warbonnet
    Has doors, which would be great in wind driven snow or rain. The downfall is this tarp cant be hung in different ways as easily (if at all) like the JRB

Which of these advantages is more important to me? Well if I knew that I would have a tarp already.

The Warbonnet has the side pull tabs which I think is essential but I could add grip clips to the JRB for a few bucks and have the same thing. Right now I am leaning toward the JRB due to cost. As far as I can tell the only difference between the JRB and Warbonnet (once I add grip clips to the JRB) is the doors. I really like the doors but at nearly $100 more? I dont know if I need them that bad. But then if I get the JRB and find I need/want doors I will do exactly what I didnt want to, buy multiple tarps.

Since I am posting this thread I guess I might as well ask if any one has pics of a bridge hammock under a 11x10 JRB or a warbonnet superfly. It might help to see how much room you have under each tarp while pitched in various configurations. Thanks for letting me organize my thought on paper. If anyone has comments or opinions on either tarp feel free to add to the post.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I hope its not long until my set up looks similar to yours. Its just a matter of time and money!

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Yeah - it's definitely an addiction that drains money, but look for deals and you can put it together for much cheaper...it just takes time. I got this BMBH used, the GHPC is one of the original prototypes, and the tarp and Mt Washington are for gear testing (which I'll get back to now that I'm back from overseas).

Check out www.backpackgeartest.org if you're willing to write reports. I've gotten some pretty good gear that way, and there's some hammock gear on there sometimes as well...even the vendors who post here. I tested the Crazy Creek hammock and a 30F down bag that way...still use the bag pretty often.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I did a DIY blackcat which works very well with my wife's bridge. I also have an HH Hex which I got free (bonus with my SS) that seems to do the job nicely.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Between the two choices I much prefer the JRB 11'x10'.

If you are worried about wind blowing down the end of the tarp check out what Grizz did in closing the end of his tarp using grip clips.

He thought out of the box and oriented the tarp end into the wind which puts a tree between you and the wind. He then used grip clips to close the end. The tree acted like the prow of a ship, cutting the wind and letting it flow around the tarp. He said it really worked very well.

He's got pictures in his gallery

and

He posted about this in a thread somewhere. I'm pretty sure that is the JRB 11'x10' in his pictures.

I've tried it and it really does work very well. You can save your self a lot money and weight using this idea. You really only need to close one end.

It just goes against the common knowledge about how to orient the tarp/hammock
    Those who sacrifice freedom for safety, have neither.

Do not dig your grave with your teeth. (Unknown)

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    anybody got a link to a seller of the grip clips?

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    anybody got a link to a seller of the grip clips?
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Grip+Clips

Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    BWDD Winterdream
    Insulation
    Speer Snugfit
    Images
    Gripclips.com gets you there, but they are actually sold by Shelter Systems.
    Bad spellers of the world Untie!

Hammock
    DH RG 11' 1.6 Lefty
    Tarp
    HG, OES
    Insulation
    UQG,HG,WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I use a OES 8x10 with the ends pulled in. Cuts the wind from the hammock when closed tight. The sides have four tie-outs to allow you to do this. When I stepped out of the hammock the wind was blowing hard across my feet, but did't feel it up above. Also had no problem with condensation.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast